The Last Great Race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife ran it 4 times in the 80’s and early 90’s. Finished all 4 tries and finished top 15 twice. We watch it closely although most of the mushers we knew back then are retired....or worse. It is one event that all Alaskans can enjoy.

My wife ran it 4 times in the 80’s and early 90’s. Finished all 4 tries and finished top 15 twice. We watch it closely although most of the mushers we knew back then are retired....or worse. It is one event that all Alaskans can enjoy.
I covered the Iditarod for TV news back in the 80's and early 90's, so probably met your wife on the trail at some point.

God Bless Joe Sr, the Colonel and Susan Butcher and De De

I named my boat Nomad after Joe’s fishing boat. He drove it up on shore when he retired so that he could see it from his home and it is still there in Knik.

No Anchorage start and no Nome this year. Out to Iditarod, loop around Flat, and back down the same route.

Two way traffic this year!!

No Anchorage start and no Nome this year. Out to Iditarod, loop around Flat, and back down the same route.

Two way traffic this year!!
Oh that sucks. I didn't see that.

The Iditarod Sled dog race officially starts today. 1200 miles to Nome! Lots of fun.

https://iditarod.com/#

Sled dog racing. The only sport I know in which the start is much more interesting and exciting than the finish. We never missed the Anchorage "start".

But for raw energy and excitement, the Sprint Dog Championships from 4th Ave. out to Campbell Strip and back were better.

I used to be a dog musher from Ruby and the Iditarod was the first race I was ever in and yes I did finish. Knew all the old timers of which many have passed. Used to be trapline and village teams and now is greatly different race.

I used to know a sled dog breeder. He said for a "rule of thumb" it costs about 1% of your family income to support, train,feed and pay the vet for each dog you own.

I asked how many dogs a racer owns, he said twenty to fifty. Gets expensive.

pete

That concept depends largely on what your income is. It is a very unkind sport for low earners to be sure.

I remember in the early 80s I and my boys would be getting a haircut at "Irene's Barbershop" which was by the Wasilla train station. Colonel Vaughan would be getting a haircut and Joe Sr would walk in and the stories would fly. They love sitting there telling my boys these stories. Joe Sr invited out to the kennels to give the boys a ride on his sleds. So cool.

Last edited:
Great story. That is how I remember Joe. I owned Animal Food Warehouse and PetZoo and we sponsored him with comp food and products. Colonel Vaughan was a real character. Do you know that he was the dog handler for the Byrd Expedition to Antarctica? I think it was 1933 or 34. I met him just before he passed and he told me that he wanted to make it to 100 because you just don’t hear about people dying after 100. He died 4 days after his 100th birthday.

I used to buy my horseshoeing supplies from Animal Food Warehouse... grew up in Anchorage next to Earl Norris' Howling Dog Farm, when he sold it they built the mall and Golden Lion over there. My mom would sit with the newspaper and check off the checkpoint times for the mushers during Fur Rondy. Amazing that they called it the World Championship Dogsled Race, but the Iditarod hadn't sprung to life yet back then.

Earl moved out past Big Lake, had a little sign on the side of the road announcing his new location. I did a bit of shoeing for a few local Iditarod mushers here on the Kenai, funny how animal people have more than just one kind of animals.

Lots of memories of mushers growing up, had a local track off Tudor where they used to race most weekends. Never done it myself, not a dog guy, too noisy :) I always preferred the solitude of snowshoes or skis and the company of my .22.

Too funny! My wife worked for the Norris’s training for the Iditarod. I ran 3 Fur Rondys finishing 4th, 9th and I think 11th. Selling pet food was way more profitable than racing dogs........just not as much fun. People outside have have no idea how engrained it is in Alaska’s culture.

There is competition for which is the "greatest." Now we have the Iditarod but there is also the "Yukon Quest." Many argue the Yukon Quest is harder.

This article from the Washington Post:

FAIRBANKS, ALASKA — The battle wounds incurred over nearly two weeks in the Arctic wilderness were on display as Jim Lanier sat down for breakfast with his wife at a downtown hotel.

He hardly made a move on his bacon and eggs. His fingers were stiff from frostbite.

"They're still really sore," Lanier said as he eased his grip on his fork. "It's hard to tie my shoelaces - they're so sore."

His ribs ached, and a thin gash trickled down his right cheek. The cut was scabbed over, like the frostbite that blossomed on the tip of his nose.

Still, Lanier could smile. He is a 78-year-old rookie who on Feb. 2 began what is often billed as the world's toughest sled dog race. He finished the 1,000-mile course in 24th place on Feb. 14, three days before meeting for breakfast. And even his injuries had the benefit of giving Lanier cover from having to explain the real story behind the new gap in his teeth.

"The truth is I broke my tooth biting on a frozen cookie," he said with a laugh.

Lots of folks told Lanier he was crazy when he signed up for the Yukon Quest 1,000-Mile International Sled Dog Race. The father of four and grandfather of five from Chugiak, Alaska, outside Anchorage, is hardly a greenhorn. He made his debut at the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in 1979 and completed that more famous event 16 times.

But the Quest's identity is grounded in being even tougher, more selective and less attention-seeking than the Iditarod.

The Quest was created in 1984 by a musher and a historian who wanted a race so rugged, only purists would participate. It follows a trail through hellish terrain between Whitehorse, the capital of Canada's Yukon territory, and Fairbanks, the hub of Alaska's interior.

Mushers can use only one sled, while those in the Iditarod may use up to three. The Iditarod, which is run entirely in Alaska from Anchorage northeast to Nome, has 22 checkpoints for mushers and their dogs to rest in relative comfort. The Quest has nine checkpoints along a course of roughly similar length, which means mushers pack their sleds for longer runs and endure more campouts in bush country.

Because the Quest embraced a grass-roots approach, it has less corporate presence and a smaller financial reward. Quest mushers pay a $2,000 entry fee and vie for a piece of the $115,000 purse, which is dispersed among the top 15 finishers. The Iditarod has a $4,000 entry fee and a $500,000 purse, and every musher who finishes goes home with a paycheck.

Another significant difference between the races is the weather. The Quest takes place a month earlier, which leads to colder days and longer, darker nights. With considerably fewer mushers participating and fewer checkpoints to stop at, Quest mushers can travel hundreds of miles before encountering another team on the trail.

All those were factors in why Lanier had not previously competed in the Quest. In addition, various bouts with frostbite on the Iditarod trail had forced the amputation of two of his fingertips and one of his big toes.

"I was a bit intimidated," Lanier admitted. "I figured, if it was going to be 50 below or colder for days and days and days, I probably wouldn't be able to do that because my fingers and toes are so compromised by previous frostbite."

But he views those surgeries as trivial costs of his mushing habit. And ultimately, his itch to take part in the Quest outweighed his trepidation.

"You lose those things, and then you realize that's not the end of life," says Lanier, who retired from his day job as a pathologist 15 years ago. "I'm still kickin'. I'm still functioning, more or less."

Despite his at-all-costs outlook, the cold that pinched the Yukon at the start of this year's Quest was a hurdle. Lanier said that camping in temperatures of 45 below zero the first night - after he and his team of nine dogs began their 90-mile run from the start line to Braeburn, the first checkpoint on the Canada side - accelerated his understanding of the situation he put himself in.

"That handicapped me right off the bat," he says, "but then it started to warm up."

Temperatures began to climb as Lanier and the 29 other teams that started the race in Whitehorse traveled northwest up the Yukon River, but that didn't simplify the trail for him. After leaving Carmacks, the second checkpoint on the Canada side, he took a spill on jumble ice - jagged, hazardous conditions that can occur when ice forms atop flowing water. That accident caused the aches and pains that hung around after Lanier finished with a total run time of 12 days, 5 hours and 44 minutes.

"I hurt a rib - I thought I broke it, but I didn't - and I got some cuts on my face," Lanier said, adding that the timing of his fall gave him the perfect excuse for his missing tooth when he reached a group of concerned onlookers waiting for him at the next checkpoint, named Pelly Crossing.

As much as the Canada side of the trail confirmed his concerns about the Quest, the second half of the race - the Alaska side of the trail - made the rookie wonder if finishing his dream run was an obtainable goal.

The toughest test was a climb over Eagle Summit, a 3,624-foot peak located about 115 miles from the finish line. Blizzard conditions forced the 78-year-old and six other mushers to hunker down at Central, the last checkpoint before teams begin their climb. When the group - which came to be known as the Central Seven - began ascending the summit, they were met with whiteout conditions caused by vicious winds.

Visibility became an issue for the eldest musher in the field.

"The top of my eyes started freezing shut, and then I really couldn't see a thing," Lanier said. "I had to tell the teams in front and behind of me, 'Please! Please! Stop! Stop! I can't see you guys!'"

Lanier, who ran with his signature all-white team of Alaskan huskies, relied on his 8-year-old leader, Almond, in addition to a 1-year-old puppy named Jesus, whom he describes as his "inspirational dog."

"It was like he was resurrected on every run," he said about Jesus.

Even after Lanier and his team cleared the summit, they still weren't out of harm's way.

"I realized if something went wrong and the dogs went off the trail and down into the valley, I might not make it," he says. "I might not have been able to get back up again if that happened."

The final 93 miles were a breeze for Lanier, who was 17 years older than the next-oldest competitors and 57 years older than the musher who won the title of Quest Rookie of the Year.

Lanier, who will turn 79 in October, vowed he'll race again, though he wasn't sure which races he would enter.

"I'm always looking at the future, appreciating the present but looking ahead," he said.

One of the few standing ovations at the finish and awards banquet, held Feb. 16 in Fairbanks, came when Lanier took the stage.

"Some people say I'm an inspiration," he told the crowd. "I don't know to what extent that is true, but don't let anyone tell you you're too old. Especially don't let yourself tell yourself you're too old."

Many in attendance knew Lanier's reputation from past Iditarod banquets of singing a song depicting his time on the trail. They wondered if he'd offer an encore performance after his first Quest.

Lanier didn't disappoint. He belted out "The Impossible Dream."

Published by the Washington Post.

Then there's the human footraces/challenges.

The Pacific Crest Trail is 2650 miles through the mountains from Mexico's northern border to Canada's southern border.

The record is 52 days, averaging 51 miles per day.

I started training a lot, ran many hours a week and signed up for some though races to prepare for the challenge. The biggest part of my preparation was to compete in Morocco’s Marathon des Sables (156 miles) the so-called “Toughest Footrace on Earth”.

https://gearjunkie.com/pacific-crest-trail-record-2016-karel-sabbe/2

Last edited:
In normal times a few weeks before the Iditarod we also have the longest snow machine race in the world. From Big Lake AK to Nome, then back to Fairbanks. Teams of 2. Fun to watch and fast.

Have you ever tried the Seward Mountain Marathon?

No...it looks like a real thigh burner going up and a potential body shredding semi controlled scree slope dash coming down.

Pretty intense 5K run for sure!

I miss the Rondy races between George Attla and Roland Lombard. They always seemed to be close and exciting to watch.
Early school years Bill Spencer was a good buddy. He and his family about owned the Mount Marathon race for a number of years.

The Knee Knackering North Shore Trail Run looks to be pretty intense...30 miles and over three mountains on Vancouver's north shore, from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove:

Sled dog racing. The only sport I know in which the start is much more interesting and exciting than the finish. We never missed the Anchorage "start".

Formula One is way more interesting at the start. The driver's don't seem to realize that you can't win the race in the first corner, but you can lose the race in the first corner. Or in the third corner a la Romain Grosjean.

Memories! I lived just outside of Anchorage in a trailer park named "City of Tomorrow" (I think it was) or was it Mobile City of Tomorrow - not sure - on Boniface Road from '62-'66. My full-time job was USAF, but worked part-time on small airplanes with a guy - Charlie Cannon - who, with his wife Ruth, also raised huskies. I helped with several dog teams that had some of Charlie's dogs in it. Some of them raced the Iditarod. I was there for several other events such as the Alaskan Earthquake - and helped search for survivors. Helped crew sports cars with bolt-studded tires in races on Big Lake (frozen, of course). Also helped recover a Beechcraft Bonanza from Big Lake that had skidded into a snow bank. I owned a Piper PA-12 that I flew over much of Alaska generally between Anchorage, Fairbanks, McGrath, Kenai and Seward. Even flew it to Kodiak Island. Had to sell it when I got transferred. It used to be, last I heard, in Eagle River. Always wanted to get back up to Anchorage, but only got there on a cruise ship once and couldn't check out my old haunts or find old friends. Thanks for bringing up some Alaskan memories!

We lived in Rangeview Trailer Park, off of Muldoon, lots of military families lives in that part of town due to the proximity to the bases. Then moved to Tudor to live in a "real" house instead of being trailer trash :) Now of course Muldoon and Tudor are connected, back then it was along drive around...

Amazing how many people on this site have connections to Alaska! Mostly past tense, but given the desire of most folks as they age to not scrape ice off the windows of their cars, shovel snow, and freeze their butts off, it's very understandable. Also amazing how many leave, only to return!

I lived on Knik Road in Wasilla from 87 to 99, back in the days when Wasilla mostly had one commercial strip along the Parks Highway and mushers would run Knik Road all the time. Settlers Bay condominiums. And Sarah Palin was just an unknown mayor of a little Alaska town. I was a Glenn Highway commuter, worked and went to church in Anchorage, Trinity Presbyterian up Huffman Road, and did the Cross Pass Marathon a few times (humans, not dogs). Didn't actually run the marathon though, hiked it like a normal person over two days, usually Eagle River to Girdwood, finished off with an overnight at Alyeska and a steak dinner at Seven Glaciers. The last time I thought about doing it was 2017, but as I recall it was cancelled that year because somebody got eaten by a bear. And then last year was cancelled because of the pandemic. Wonder if I can still hike it without keeling over or needing to call a rescue helicopter. The good old days.

Yep, lots of Alaska connections.

Back
Top Bottom