Watch Super Yacht Go crash into the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... I'm not a big fan of computer control that could cause catastrophic accidents when they fail. Look at Sully's issue, the Boeing Max, this incident, etc. ...

These incidents are not related.

Sully's incident was the result of mechanical damage to the engines. No amount of electrical or mechanical controls would have changed the situation.

The MAX issue was poor system design. There was a design solution to the issue, just very few people knew about it. But that was because of business reasons.

The boat issue was also a design issue. The controls lost power and the engines could not be controlled. There either should have been a independent backup power supply for the electronic controls or mechanical overrides to shut down the engines (like the fire handles on an airplane). Or maybe a heartbeat signal from the controller to the high pressure fuel pump or the injectors. Heartbeat stops, fuel stops.

I was running a new 61 Viking up the coast, pulled into Fernandina for fuel and nite stop. Maneuvered around the docks and one engine rev'd up with no command. It was in N. I did not dare put it in gear. Shut down worked. Was able to get docked with the other engine and dockhands.

Owner called, had a MAN tech sent out, trouble shot the system and said everything was fine. And it did work ok for the rest of the trip. Sketched me out.

Did I miss it or were warning signals sounded before the filming started in the #1 post video? Seems like there should have been horns sounding at least up to first contact with the dock to keep folks away and again for the second hit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom