Locking mooring ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
I’m in the process of looking at property in the gulf islands that will have a mooring ball off of the smaller dock but because Canada seems to have loose rules around how to get rid of a squatter on your ball I was curious if anyone has seen a locking system for mooring balls to prevent its use. Sure it would be a bit awkward to unlock something but better that then experience one of those nightmare stories of someone leaving an abandoned boat on your ball.
It’s interesting I’ve seen nothing like this on Google, is it a bad idea or product opportunity?
AC

I never considered the abandoned boat idea. I thought you were worried about someone using your ball for an overnight or weekend. As nice as boaters are, especially Canadians I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Abandoning a boat though could cause concern. Maybe the "clevice" or "padeye" could be made removable or coverable or something.

pete

They could still just loop a line around the ball or pull it up and shackle/tie to the chain.

A locking method might keep the good guy from using the ball...but I am guessing not the squatter or boat abandoner.

If someone leaves a boat on your ball wait until the tide and wind are going out and cut it loose. Same goes with a homeless squatter van.. Move it while they are gone.

HOLLYWOOD

Yeah I’m not worried about another boater using it, and it’s a fair point about connecting just to the chain.

Last edited:
This sounds like a solution in search of a problem. If squatting was that easy, everyone would be doing it. If one has personally had repeated issues with squatters on one's own mooring, then perhaps this is needed. Otherwise...relax, enjoy the view, and be thankful for the things you have.

Fair points although if you read any of the posts from folks who have had it happen it often turns into a nightmare. Especially in Canada where it seems unclear how or who can address it.

I would agree looking to prevent it sounds like a reasonable approach.

I dont have to wait till I have a couple of bikes stolen to keep me from locking my bicycle up.

Fair points although if you read any of the posts from folks who have had it happen it often turns into a nightmare. Especially in Canada where it seems unclear how or who can address it.

Second time you have mentioned the part I have bolded in your post. Since I am right here in the Gulf Islands, Canada, I wonder why I have never heard of anyone having such problems. I have a mooring bouy (see my Avatar) in front of my home. and other than allowing it to look ugly and unnatractive I have no security on it, without incident.

Put a warning sign on it. "Damaged Anchor NOT SAFE"

I once had trouble with people breaking into an outside storage box. There was nothing in it to steal but people still broke in. Finally I put a sign on it that said "Human waste only". No one ever broke into it again.

Second time you have mentioned the part I have bolded in your post. Since I am right here in the Gulf Islands, Canada, I wonder why I have never heard of anyone having such problems. I have a mooring bouy (see my Avatar) in front of my home. and other than allowing it to look ugly and unnatractive I have no security on it, without incident.

There are some pretty long threads if you search around the net, found them when looking into the rules in Canada. It does sound like in areas with a harbormaster it’s less of an issue.

It’s kinda like squatters in a house, it’s super rare, but can really be a pain in the ass if it happens...

Attach a crude sign or tag that says "Unsafe Mooring" or similar? Cheers/ Len :)

Attach a line to the buoy run to shore via the shackle on the anchor and just pull it underwater when you are not there.

Back
Top Bottom