Equalize fuel level in Grand Banks Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddefabry

Does anyone know the fuel valve settings to equalize fuel in the tanks of a 1978 Grand Banks 36 Trawler?

There should be a fuel line that just connects the two tanks and doesn't go anywhere else. May have an on/off valve on both ends. Open them both. Fuel level in both tanks will eventually equalize, though it may take awhile.
Oldersalt

Both of my tanks go to a valve board from a shut off at tank, there is a shutoff again for both and then it goes to filters. The cross flow has a tap between those two which allows constant equalising or feeding to opposite side engine.
If you post a picture of outlet from tank and your valve board may be able to see if yours is similar

There should be a fuel line that just connects the two tanks and doesn't go anywhere else. May have an on/off valve on both ends. Open them both. Fuel level in both tanks will eventually equalize, though it may take awhile.
Oldersalt
That is what I thought until having closer look. Now thinking about it the crossflow is raised at about 1/2 tank full. Does that mean gravity will no longer crossflow if both tanks are below that level. If done on purpose i like it as no need then and less sediment transfer would be possible

Below is a picture of the ER of my earlier boat, a 1979 GB Cl.

In the middle of the picture, below the generator are two diamond-shaped valves. If I recall correctly, one of these would direct the diesel from one or the other tank to the generator. The other did the same for the return to the tanks.

In between them, and hard to see in the picture, is a valve with a lever which could be opened to connect the two tanks and level them.

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22
Oldersalt

Mine is set up the same way. The cross over pulls from a valve at the bottom of each tank.

Why? If to trim a list and your boat is not trimmed correctly in the first place, opening the crossover valve will likely make the list worse.

Peter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom