Future liveaboard with a few questions on what models to look into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TakeItEasy

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time and read this, im sure answering the newer questions can get quite tiring LOL. Anyway, I'm a single male in my mid to almost late 20s. I live in California, work in the movie Industry(union job pays well) and along with my love of boats, i have an auto immune disorder that makes it really hard for me to eat and even work sometimes. So work isn't always stable for me, and in California, this is actually one of the cheaper ways of living and do something i love.(Id also be 10 minutes from Fox, where i was working at last), as I would like to get a liveaboard in Marina Del Rey as the prices are great for the size boat i want. Ive never been on anything larger then a 30 foot boat(friends boat), my step father has a Larson 234 escape and a Regal 210 majestic, along with 3 seadoos. So ive been around small boats and water toys, but nothing as large as I want buy. I have been looking for an 1980's to 90's motor yacht to liveaboard fulltime. Smallest being 38 feet with the largest reaching around 45 feet(since i know Marina charge by LOA, not the actual boat length, so from reading/research im trying to keep that in mind) My price range is trying to keep it under 50k. I don't mind doing some mechanical work, as that's what i love to do. Do to my medical condition im really skinny(5-9 120 pounds) so i should be able to fit in a lot of tight spaces, which should help in the boat lifestyle lol. My step father is also a contractor and does everything from plumbing to electrical to wood work even on his own boats, so i do have some help. Now Diesels might take a curve to learn but nothing to crazy. My main concern on a survey would be water/rot since i have no knowledge in working on gel coats. I have a few brands i will list below that seem to be what im after in terms of layout/look, but am coming to you more educated people to help enlighten me and possibly set me on my way so i can know what to look into for, instead of at everything, since a lot of boats do look the same.
A few of the brands/styles i seem to be into are, but i have no idea about models only brand names so far : Chris craft, Silverton, Carver and Blue water, but im open to pretty much anything, especially US made were parts are easier to get haha. I just need some help on what models are out there that fit what im going for, long docks with a cruise to Catalina once a month or so.
My priorities are in this order: Space overall is my biggest concern. I'd like a spacious salon/outdoor deck to grill or throw a small party, but also has canvas in case of rain. Since the boat will be docked most of the time speed and range wont matter as much since i'd only take it out to Avalon or Catalina, but i rather have range over speed.

These are some of the pictures of floorplan/styles im looking after:

silverton-40-motor-yacht-3721211

bestway-40-aft-cabin-3058640

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks a lot everyone

First question is have you verified the availability and cost of a slip and that you can live aboard? They are very hard to get in California. Assuming you check that box (and remember the marina and insurance companies must approve your boat) I can almost guarantee that even if you can find one you would likely spend less (all costs considered) in an apartment. There are a lot of costs to owning a boat and even more if you want to cruise it and keep her sea worthy.

Not to rain on your parade but be sure to consider that if you were to be out of work you still have to pay all those expenses. At least in an apartment you can get out of a lease and live with friends and family. But you will be stuck with the boat and all costs until you can find a buyer. So make sure you have 18-24 months of expenses in reserve.

As a single young man your age (40 years ago) I bought a Catalina 30 sloop and
lived aboard in MDR...
for 90 days anyway. It seems the Catalina company wanted that slip for a new boat!
I looked around and found a slip in King Harbor on a dock that was all liveaboards.
Maybe two or three of us were permitted to be liveaboards but there was no real
penalty for sneaking aboard if you paid your slip fee on time and didn't cause trouble.

I'm not suggesting that you will find the same thing nowadays but perseverance and a
bit of luck and planning will pay off. Talking to a local who is doing it will tell you a lot.

There is seldom a guaranty of a slip included with a boat purchase so find the slip first!

P.S: Notice anything about my avatar photo?

Last edited:
I'm not seeing the pics of floorplans or layouts that your reference in your post. . . .

As a single young man your age (40 years ago) I bought a Catalina 30 sloop and
lived aboard in MDR...
for 90 days anyway. It seems the Catalina company wanted that slip for a new boat!
I looked around and found a slip in King Harbor on a dock that was all liveaboards.
Maybe two or three of us were permitted to be liveaboards but there was no real
penalty for sneaking aboard if you paid your slip fee on time and didn't cause trouble.

I'm not suggesting that you will find the same thing nowadays but perseverance and a
bit of luck and planning will pay off. Talking to a local who is doing it will tell you a lot.

There is seldom a guaranty of a slip included with a boat purchase so find the slip first!

P.S: Notice anything about my avatar photo?

I know slips can be hard to find, especially in the nice parts of California, but in Marina Del Rey, quite a few are open, and they are priced well, at least for the sizes im looking into and ones not owned by Yacht clubs, unless there is a reason i should be looking to join one of those based on the benefits they have. Im green to it, so i have no idea if it's worth it.

https://marinadelreymarina.com/marina-slip-pricing/

I couldn't imagine sailing, I want a power Cat, but no way i can afford that.
Nice iatse shirt, im local 44.

First question is have you verified the availability and cost of a slip and that you can live aboard? They are very hard to get in California. Assuming you check that box (and remember the marina and insurance companies must approve your boat) I can almost guarantee that even if you can find one you would likely spend less (all costs considered) in an apartment. There are a lot of costs to owning a boat and even more if you want to cruise it and keep her sea worthy.

Not to rain on your parade but be sure to consider that if you were to be out of work you still have to pay all those expenses. At least in an apartment you can get out of a lease and live with friends and family. But you will be stuck with the boat and all costs until you can find a buyer. So make sure you have 18-24 months of expenses in reserve.

Yes open slips in my size, and priced well for the size im looking into.
https://marinadelreymarina.com/marina-slip-pricing/

I make in 1 week more then it costs to dock the boat at liveaboard prices. If I get sick and can't work 2 weeks, the same can not be said about apartments, which in my area run around 2000 dollars plus amenities. Houses are 3,000+ a month. I also personally do not use credit cards, i like to pay in cash, so i don't have bad or good credit, i have no credit. Hence why im looking at a 30-40 year old boats i can afford it outright, which would help with insurance, not finance it, learn on it and be educated by others, , save up and upgrade to a larger/newer boat as I learn more.

My issue is not know models that will fit what im trying to go after. Ive never really dabbled with larger boats and have a long way to go. My purchase wont be for 6+ months until i find the perfect boat, and hoping the covid lockdowns will ease up a bit before buying. This way im not going in head first and have time to keep lurking live ive been, and since i now made an account talk to those in my position before who are willing to help

Welcome aboard. One thing to check on is insurance. Not having owned a large boat you will probably have to jump through some, maybe quite a few, hoops to get insurance. I doubt any marina in CA will let you in without insurance. But good luck and keep checking. Knock down the obstacles as you come to them, but go in with your eyes fully open.

A few of the brands/styles i seem to be into are, but i have no idea about models only brand names so far : Chris craft, Silverton, Carver and Blue water, but im open to pretty much anything, especially US made were parts are easier to get haha. I just need some help on what models are out there that fit what im going for, long docks with a cruise to Catalina once a month or so.

Something odd about your post; I didn't see your links until I quoted to reply. Weird...

You might invest in a copy of the Powerboat Guide. One page per boat with short description and a layout diagram... Softcopy version permits keyword searching...

When posting here, it helps if you break your thoughts into separated paragraphs. Lots of... er... elderly?... eyeballs around here, with varying eyeglass lenses (or not)... (Or maybe I'm only one of the few who might admit the passage of time...)

-Chris

Last edited:
Just remember boats and their systems seemingly require much more work/tweeking things than land based dwellings. Sure you can have an extremely simple boat without needy systems...but that isn't everyone's cup of tea (especially long term or after they convinced themselves they could....but really couldn't).

Many boaters go from sail to power because they say they just don't have the physical abilities or energy to keep sailing. Then at some point, myself (have been doing lots of boats/boating for a long time) and many others give up living aboard because fixing/tweeking all week long or even just in the middle of the night just becomes too much.

I have no idea what medical issues keep you from working, but I know some boats can be as hard to work on and as demanding as a job (liveaboard and marine tech a long time on simple and complex boats). Being handy isn't the problem, it's when timing and effort start to outweigh the joy or flat out human capability. More money can fix some of that, and so can choosing some boats over others.

So go into all this wide eyed...not like many that try it and almost immediately they are disheartened. Many are young, healthy people.

Good luck with your decision.

Morning,

I don’t think there is much more I can offer that others have not already covered. The biggest factor is slip access, and the live a board status is oeven more difficult to obtain, but it sounds like you are researching that and have some good leads.

Side note: I spent quite a bit of time at Fox studios when I was working (retired last year), including all of the stages and film vaults. An interesting place with lots of great history.

Good luck with your search. This is a good place to ask questions if you continue down this path.

Welcome to the TF!

I think for dockside living, the biggest boat for the length is probably an aft cabin boat. For the price, I really like the Carver 355/356. Older models of the 355 are even cheaper, and later models, like the 366, are a bit more expensive.

Make sure that when you estimate living costs, look at the LIVEABOARD price for the slip. In the link you post, there is a 50% premium over the base slip for liveaboard privileges.

Lots of good folks here to give advice to help you determine if this is the correct choice for you.

Good luck,

Jim

Welcome to the TF!

I think for dockside living, the biggest boat for the length is probably an aft cabin boat. For the price, I really like the Carver 355/356. Older models of the 355 are even cheaper, and later models, like the 366, are a bit more expensive.

Make sure that when you estimate living costs, look at the LIVEABOARD price for the slip. In the link you post, there is a 50% premium over the base slip for liveaboard privileges.

Lots of good folks here to give advice to help you determine if this is the correct choice for you.

Good luck,

Jim

Thanks for actually answering my question. I'll look into that model. It sucks knowing Brand names you are interested in, but not models. As a car guy, it hurts my heart LOL. But everyone starts somewhere haha. Right now for some reason the 42' Blue Water Coastal cruiser is really sticking out to me right now. Been doing some research on that model since i found it a few days ago. Love the stairs to the top deck and how you can put canvas on it and make it a "convertible." Good beam, lot of room, and a single cabin, one thing i really like, adding room everywhere else.
I know there is a 50 percent premium, hence why i said im looking for a 38 to low 40's , since the research ive done, and dock masters ive talked to charge by LOA not the boats stated length. That's around 1500-1700(off the top of my head without opening the link again) That is still cheaper then most places to rent in LA, without figuring in water,power,gas, etc. Ive done my research on how what needs to be done to liveaboard, the process, etc, im just ignorant on different model types that fit my style of living, do to the fact ive never grown up around people with boats that large, mostly just small "day boats." Am just after learning what models fit my lifestyle which would be mostly docked, and once a month or so take it out to Catalina or Avalon, which isn't even that far from MDR. Thanks again for your response.

Morning,

I don’t think there is much more I can offer that others have not already covered. The biggest factor is slip access, and the live a board status is oeven more difficult to obtain, but it sounds like you are researching that and have some good leads.

Side note: I spent quite a bit of time at Fox studios when I was working (retired last year), including all of the stages and film vaults. An interesting place with lots of great history.

Good luck with your search. This is a good place to ask questions if you continue down this path.

Thanks for the response. From my research finding a slip can be a pain, especially since most marinas want to know what boat you have even before you rent the slip. Ive done a lot of the "boring" research already, now it's time for looking at different models that fit my needs, but sadly haven't go to many responses on that just yet, but im holding out haha.

Im rather new still at the studios, at least compared to everyone else there, i'm the young guy haha. I'm a prop maker, but i wanted to get in as a painter, but beggars cant be choosers haha. Been in for a couple of years now.
Im pretty set on this path of monetarily for me it seems to be the best route, as a single week of working covers rent, power water, etc(this is why im trying to buy a boat outright, i could get a lone and get an newer boat, but if i get sick and can't work for a month, i can't pay at all. I have crohns/ an auto immune issue which makes it hard to eat and causes me to throw up, so it can be hard to work a full month at times and sometimes i only work 2 weeks out of 4. Other times im great for 6 months, since it comes in flair ups. So it's much cheaper overall to actually live on a boat, unless im spending 1000+ dollars a month on repairs, which isn't likely, and even then is still cheaper then renting a house but more expensive then an apartment in LA.

Welcome aboard. One thing to check on is insurance. Not having owned a large boat you will probably have to jump through some, maybe quite a few, hoops to get insurance. I doubt any marina in CA will let you in without insurance. But good luck and keep checking. Knock down the obstacles as you come to them, but go in with your eyes fully open.

Thanks, to me, this seems to be my hardest issue i will face, since i am looking at older boats. Ive already found open slips. I do plan to take a course to learn to pilot the boat and to help insurances faith in me and hopefully accept me, since i haven't piloted a boat this big yet, or just might give a local a nice gift to teach me how to dock a larger boat once i feel comfortable and want to go underway then take the course so i don't feel like a complete idiot LOL

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! If you are able to execute your plan, you are going to be one happy guy! Good luck with everything.

Welcome aboard! If you are able to execute your plan, you are going to be one happy guy! Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the welcome. I do too, would be nice to be able to have my own boat. Love the water, always been in a water family, now I just need to take the plunge myself. Gonna be pretty big difference coming from 20 foot class boats and seadoos up to the 40 footers.

As a transit boater, one can avoid the limit on liveaboards. But that means one can't stay for long at any one location. Not practical if one can't work from aboard.

I'd suggest you look at a sailboat and a popular brand. Catalina is the Chevy of sailboats but there are thousands of them all over. And getting a popular brand, an older popular brand will mean that support on the internet is strong.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about, a 1985 Catalina 38 for $46,600 American and this one looks in decent shape: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/catalina-36-tm-3721519/

I'd suggest you look at a sailboat and a popular brand. Catalina is the Chevy of sailboats but there are thousands of them all over. And getting a popular brand, an older popular brand will mean that support on the internet is strong.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about, a 1985 Catalina 38 for $46,600 American and this one looks in decent shape: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/catalina-36-tm-3721519/

Thanks for the response, but sailing is out of my league haha. I understand basic boating principles and regulations, but sail boats aren't for me.
Recently bluewater's 42' coastal cruiser caught my eye. Looked at a 1986 version. 40k USD. 14 foot beam, single stateroom, real stairs(really caught my attention) and surprisingly well priced.
I kind of don't understand why(not complaining) for how much boat you get. I guess having gas engines really does make things cheaper. I prefer diesel but as stated above I only plan to make 1 small trip a month or so, I wouldn't get dinged to much worse in the wallet on gas as diesel is the much better option but this would be my one big con so far with this boat. (unless these boats have a known flaw, hence why im asking for models that fit my style) thanks again.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/bluewater-42-coastal-cruiser-3700112/

Last edited:
You are way off the mark on ownership costs if you think slip is your big expense. Your viewpoint is myopic and you'll get eaten alive in $100/$1000 increments.

Four big boat expense item buckets:

1. Planned Ownership costs (slip, insurance, registration/documentation, taxes, utilities, bottom diver, bi-annual haul/bottom paint, etc)

2. Regular maintenance costs (every 1-2 years) haul/bottom paint, engine service, cutless bearing, pumps, etc. The Bluewater you like? Engine access sucks on those - mechanic in MDR will run you at least $150/hr. God forbid if you ever need significant engine work. Poor access usually means the engines are not well maintained. I'd venture a guess there are few seasoned owners on this list who have not been stung with at least one $10k engine/transmission expense.

3. Major maintenance costs (every ~10 years) replacement or major service of generator, engines , canvas/Bimini, upholstery ($5k is easy to drop) , refrigeration, electronics/instrumentation, A/C, outboard, etc.

4. Upgrades. End-of-life replacement of electronics, dinghy replacement, watermaker, Autopilot, etc.

First two are pretty easy to estimate accurately. Third and fourth ones vary with what boat you purchase, age, condition, equipment, etc.

If your budget is under $100k, look at some of the bayliner 38s. Decent boat, though finding one that isn't tired is increasingly hard I suppose.

Good luck!

Peter

Last edited:
Quite a few people ive had to block on here sadly. Don't think I will be posting here much longer do to a lot of the jerks. Not the place for me. Have fun all. Admins feels free to close the thread/delete my account. Thanks.

Quite a few people ive had to block on here sadly. Don't think I will be posting here much longer do to a lot of the jerks. Not the place for me. Have fun all. Admins feels free to close the thread/delete my account. Thanks.
If you're still online, suggest you delete this post and sleep on it. You may not have gotten the responses you were hoping for, but the responses you got were grounded in experience. Maybe tomorrow rephrase your question to be "I'm in SoCal and looking for a dependable and comfortable 36 footer to liveaboard. Budget is around $50k. Has anyone seen a decent example?"

Leave aside the Crohns and part time movie stuff if you don't want people to consider them.

Regardless, good luck. My GFs dad lived aboard an old 38 foot Chris Craft in MDR for several years. Many good memories there.

Peter

I read through all the posts and didn't see anything other than good advice and encouragement. Maybe some posts were removed???

I second the idea of a sailboat as a liveaboard apartment even if you don't want to sail. More living space for the money and less (expensive) systems to maintain. For the little bit of boating you intend to do, a sailboat can be used as an efficient motor boat.

Right now for some reason the 42' Blue Water Coastal cruiser is really sticking out to me right now. Been doing some research on that model since i found it a few days ago. Love the stairs to the top deck and how you can put canvas on it and make it a "convertible." Good beam, lot of room, and a single cabin, one thing i really like, adding room everywhere else.

Recently bluewater's 42' coastal cruiser caught my eye. Looked at a 1986 version. 40k USD. 14 foot beam, single stateroom, real stairs(really caught my attention) and surprisingly well priced.

You might want to do some broader research on what a Blue Water is. They apparently don't have a great rep for anything like a trip from wherever you are to Catalina... They seem to be considered more like an inshore houseboat, I think.

Huh?

-Chris

Huh?

-Chris

Right? I chalked it up to being 2am jn California when the post was written.....I forgot the actual hour, but a family friend who was a cop once said "nothing good happens after 11pm"

Peter

Right? I chalked it up to being 2am jn California when the post was written.....I forgot the actual hour, but a family friend who was a cop once said "nothing good happens after 11pm"

Peter

Especially true when you are in your 20's

Peter

Maybe he blocked me because I suggested paragraphs...

-Chris

Just remember boats and their systems seemingly require much more work/tweeking things than land based dwellings.

I remember someone asking why boats have so many 'problems'. My boat guys replied, "Take your kitchen or your living room out, drive it 25 mph over a bumpy road and immersed in salt water for a while and tell me how it holds up!"

-tozz

I remember someone asking why boats have so many 'problems'. My boat guys replied, "Take your kitchen or your living room out, drive it 25 mph over a bumpy road and immersed in salt water for a while and tell me how it holds up!"

-tozz

Good point!

I don't think that's why many boating systems fail more regularly, but if you have a boat that does 25mph it doesn't help.

Always love it when people ask for input then get upset when they don't get the response they are looking for. Unless you have owned a big boat you just don't understand the reality. The boat the OP was considering is pending sale. I expect the gas engines are shot and that is probably 10-$15k/ engine. I would not want to get caught in that houseboat 10-15 miles off MDR if the weather changes. Been there in much more seaworthy boats and still not fun. The insurance advice was spot on. Marinas here in CA usually require $500k and I doubt that is easy to find. If live aboard slips are easy to find in soCal that is news to me. Also if he has no credit I doubt any marina will rent to him.

Hopefully the OP will reconsider and continue to leverage all the experienced owners on the forum. If not I hope he is able to live his dream.

I second the idea of a sailboat as a liveaboard apartment even if you don't want to sail. More living space for the money and less (expensive) systems to maintain. For the little bit of boating you intend to do, a sailboat can be used as an efficient motor boat.

Stupid question, from someone else who has not considered sailboats before for similar reasons to the original poster, but who is reading the thread with interest.

Am I correct in thinking that the bulk of modern sailboats are also powerboats -- that if you want to run them without the sails, they'll go? I keep seeing boats with sails turn up in powerboat searches, and the pictures show they have engine rooms. I'm not really sure what the overlap is between boats that have motors and no sails, boats that have sails and no motors, and boats that have both.

I could think about using a sailboat as an offshore apartment, if I didn't have to use the sails on the rare occasions when I was trying to move the thing. (Of course that won't work on the inland waterways I talked about before; anything with masts won't go under bridges. But I'm still playing around a bit with different options. We might switch gears at this early stage.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom