Marine Trader Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EZGoing

Hello,
Old/ new Member. I have a 1977 40' Marine Trader. Does anybody know what paint color matches the original gelcoat? I want to paint the topsides but not the hull.
Thanks.
EZGoing

Hello,
Old/ new Member. I have a 1977 40' Marine Trader. Does anybody know what paint color matches the original gelcoat? I want to paint the topsides but not the hull.
Thanks.
EZGoing

Last year was time for paint on my 1980 gelcoat.
I found during prep that most of the gelcoat had faded to a pure white, while any that had been protected from UV for the last 40 yrs was more of a cream colour.
You will need to decide whether to match to the present faded colour or to try to stay with the original colour. Pick up a paint brochure with as large a sample as you can get, as your eye will have difficulty making a good match with smaller sized samples, especially if you are getting old like the rest of us.

Also, check supply for whatever you decided. There have been some shortages recently. Unless it seems to be overflowing the shelves, you might want to get as more than you expect you'll need at the start. Even for different areas where you might not mix cans for uniformity. And, even if it looks good now, you may want to keep an eye on it as the project unfolds over time, just to make sure you can react if there are shortages and you don't get caught behind the curve (like I did :)

So what paint did you use? I thinking two part epoxy becuase I do not want to do this again.

My favorite paint for longevity is Awlgrip. Others may recommend Sterling or AlexSeal as paints in the same equivalence class that they feel are better.

In my experience and observation, nothing beats Awlgrip, especially for fender and dock wear, etc.

My current boat is painted in Interlux Perfection, so I've stayed with it as I have refreshed sections. It is as nice in many ways, and it is more repairable, but it is softer. If I abuse it, I end up touching it up, as opposed to washing it off, which was how all of my rubs ended with Awlgrip. Perfection is the paint for which I recently encountered the supply problem, at least for Snow White.

I hired someone to paint my decks and they used something I'd never heard of before, Lusid Northstar Marine. They got it from a distributor locally, VIP Services in Tarpon Springs. They have a chart to color-match with Awlgrip. I had them match Awlgrip's Moondust for my decks. It has only been two years, but I've been super impressed. It applied like a dream for them with a sprayer and for me with a roller and touched up really well. It has a high gloss (in my case over texture), and it has held up better than the Perfection on a different part of the deck. 2 years ain't much of a test as compared to the long service life of Awlgrip. But, it seems good so far. I can't comment on it specifically for hull or house, because I didn't use it there.

I'm not a big fan of 1-part paints in most cases. I just haven't seen them last as long. And, I don't like painting vs someone who doesn't mind refreshing things more often. Worse, you can put 1-part over 2-part, but not vice-versa. So, if it wears out too fast for you -- you'll need to sand it all completely off vs sanding into it or just priming over it. Having said that, I've seen some really nice looking Brightside boats. And, for what he paid, my neighbor's boat looked great using Rust-oleam's marine paint, which is seemed fairly low-tech, but he claims is the hidden, magic, secret gem. Of course, the paint is 2 weeks old...so we'll see as the calendar pages flip.

So what paint did you use? I thinking two part epoxy becuase I do not want to do this again.

How much do you want to spend?
I have seen fantastic results with Alexseal, in a UTube video, but it is expensive and prep required is a lot of work. You can also pay to have the prep done and a spray job, but for an old boat, you have to ask yourself how to justify the high cost.
If you want a 6 ft paintjob, which is all I was seeking, Interlux Brightside or Petit EZPoxy is good enough. The Petit is what I used. Prep was easy, brushing it on was also easy and the result is a decent improvement. If it doesn't last, a new coat in 10 years wouldn't break my heart.

"So what paint did you use? I thinking two part epoxy becuase I do not want to do this again."

Most paints ,one or two part handle UV better than epoxy and last longer.

1979 49-ft MT here. My hull was Awlgripped with the older Hatteras off-white. Topsides and deckhouse used the newer Hatteras off-white (Brightside Poly for the top sides). Gave it a classier, updated look that makes it standout, but covers the faded white very easily. Pictures are when it was fresh out of the paint process and only partially put back together.

Attachments

• 20190624_101925.jpg
    20190624_101925.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190624_102001.jpg
    20190624_102001.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190624_105346.jpg
    20190624_105346.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back