31 Canadian fishermen rescued by Canadian and USCG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. During my time in the Great Lakes, working with the Canadian Coast Guard, both locally and through JRCC Trenton, was always a pleasure, and seamless. Due to time and distance issues we tended to complete rescue and evacuation missions with them more often than with the USCG, and we often enjoyed their upper Great Lakes cutter for port calls. It was always interesting to learn some of the contrasts compared with the USCG. Though the USCG also coordinate many of their missions with the US Navy and even more so the US Air Force/Reserves (and state/local too, yes), there the coordination with Canadian Forces is almost constant - mostly for air resources. It is a much smaller, more focused agency than the USCG.

Mid-shore patrol class, with a RCMP RHIB onboard in the launcher, at port call at Rock Harbor.

Attachments

• 10308376_10152301420503741_7711222006405244695_n.jpg
    10308376_10152301420503741_7711222006405244695_n.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Good article but the cover picture is of Vancouver, no Olympics ever run in our Atlantic provinces. I have a number of pics of that same Olympic flame statue.

Am I missing something. The headline and first paragraph talk about saving 31. However, the article only talks about 27 being rescued? How were the other 4 rescued?

It looks like a Coast Guard ship reached the scene amidst all of the hoisting and evacuated the remaining four along with the two rescue swimmers on board assisting them. 27 hoisted, 4 rescued by boat.

Am I missing something. The headline and first paragraph talk about saving 31. However, the article only talks about 27 being rescued? How were the other 4 rescued?
I was under the impression that the captain and three crew deliberately stayed aboard to try to save the ship and/or assist with salvage, then were transferred to another vessel before it sank the next day.

I was under the impression that the captain and three crew deliberately stayed aboard to try to save the ship and/or assist with salvage, then were transferred to another vessel before it sank the next day.

this from the CBC report:
"The Atlantic Destiny's captain and three crew members remained on board, along with two search and rescue technicians. They managed to restore power and began pumping water out of the Atlantic Destiny. But those efforts were ultimately ineffective.

"We know she was taking on water and they were trying to keep ahead of it with the pumps, but they had to abandon at the end there ... we're not sure of the current status," said Sullivan.

At around 8 a.m. Wednesday, everyone left the Atlantic Destiny and went aboard the Canadian Coast Guard vessel Cape Roger."

Happy ending to a sad story that could have been a tragic story... Boats can be replaced. Some really happy families tonight...

Thank you for accounting for the others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom