Charter Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohno3kids

Does anyone have experience in putting their trawler in a charter program? I'm likely 1-2 years from retirement. I'm considering buying a 55'-65' trawler (15-20 years old), and putting it into a charter program until I retire. That would allow me to use it several times a year (and get trained up), until I'm ready to go onboard full-time. I'm eyeballing a boat in Southern California; just not sure if there's a demand for charters there or a reputable charter company.

Anacortes Yacht Charters has a dozen or more in that size range in their fleet. I suspect the majority of charters of that size boat is with a captain and mate. 2-3 couples charter a boat that big (it ain't cheap- $1,500+ per night) and want the ease of having a captain. Also I bet the vetting of customer piloted charterers is significant. A weekend trawler owner can pilot his own 40' trawler ok, but piloting one of those big boats is not something you can easily step up to.

Are you thinking of an individual charter operation or putting the boat into a fleet like AYC? I lived in Newport Beach for ten years and never knew of a big charter company like AYC in SoCal.

David

Anacortes Yacht Charters has a dozen or more in that size range in their fleet. I suspect the majority of charters of that size boat is with a captain and mate. 2-3 couples charter a boat that big (it ain't cheap- $1,500+ per night) and want the ease of having a captain. Also I bet the vetting of customer piloted charterers is significant. A weekend trawler owner can pilot his own 40' trawler ok, but piloting one of those big boats is not something you can easily step up to.

Are you thinking of an individual charter operation or putting the boat into a fleet like AYC? I lived in Newport Beach for ten years and never knew of a big charter company like AYC in SoCal.

David

FWIW: Anacortes Yacht Charters Yacht Ownership Program

I thought I'd put it an a fleet like AYC, if one exists between LA and San Diego, and if I thought there was a viable demand for charters there. I've seen many charter programs throughout the Caribbean; just not sure about California.

I thought I'd put it an a fleet like AYC, if one exists between LA and San Diego, and if I thought there was a viable demand for charters there. I've seen many charter programs throughout the Caribbean; just not sure about California.

Yes, Anacortes doesn't help you much in Southern California.

I don't directly have information on any but would check charter companies in the area. I just checked San Diego and quickly found Seaforth Yacht Charters in San Diego charters in that size range but their emphasis appears to be day charters.

Virtually anyone who charters boats uses boats owned by others. Now, in the PNW and in SW Florida there are charter operators with very good and proven programs just as there are some elsewhere but confined to one brand. I don't know of such a program in Southern California so hope, if there is one, someone speaks up.

So far as I have seen, the only charters in southern California of powerboats (as opposed to sail boats) in that size range come with captain and crew -- no bare boat charters. Aside from owner concerns about trusting a guy off the street with his boat, insurance is likely to be a major concern, as I don't see an insurance company giving carte blanche approval. And the process of getting insurance company approval for each charter is likely to be very time consuming and cumbersome, not to mention that most prospective charterers will not have the requisite experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom