10-12knt trawler? 40'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoePNW

Veteran Member
Hi, we just sold our bayliner 3288 and are looking for something bigger.

Its about 35 nautical miles to cross the straight from our dock . With currents... 7-8 knots would be too slow.. just for the crossing, after work on a Friday for example..

40' 10-12knts economical cruise speed.. 1 Walk-around bed and another separate guest area for 2 adults. Upper helm. (Lower helm not necessarily needed).

Considering a 2000 bayliner 3788..or older 3988.. may not be a big enough.. and may not be suited to 8 knot long haul trips that we enjoy when there are no time constraints. I know the 3988 is not great at slow speeds. Don't care for the 38xx series bayliners..

Cruising area.. pacific northwest.

Budget.. tight... 150,000 cad.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

You can't overcome hull speed except with horsepower. 40' = 8+kts.Your not going to cruise economically at 12 knots with a 40' boat. Get a longer boat or think about a sport fishing type.

Our 41’ President will do that easily and we will be selling it this spring, but it is in Michigan...

Yes thanks...the harbourmaster may let us get away with max 46 oal' including tender overhang.. maybe "economical" was the wrong wording.. 1.5 nautical mpg maybe at 12 knots?

There are a couple of those (president)boats available in Washington state..once the borders open ill get a good look at one. Thanks

Even 1.5 nmpg at 12 kts is optimistic for a boat that size. But if you can live with 1 nmpg at fast cruise, that'll get you up into the range of fully planing hulls, as there are some that'll do 1 nmpg at 16 - 18 kts. 12 kts is just a tough speed to design for, as it's not enough to plane, so most hulls that can do that speed are pushing a lot of water to do it.

I plugged in some grabass numbers for a 40' semi-displacement hull into Vicprop's prop hp calculator. For a 40' boat of 30,000 lbs displacement to reach 12 kts, takes 169 hp and will burn roughly 10 gph.

So look for a boat with at least 300 hp which will be enough that 169 hp won't be too much load on it.

Any of the older Lehman or Perkins N.A. powered boats won't work, unless it is the turbo version. Look for a Cummins 6B 370 , Cat 3116 350 or Yanmar 6LY 370 powered boat at least for singles.

David

Last edited:
" Even 1.5 nmpg at 12 kts is optimistic for a boat that size. But if you can live with 1 nmpg at fast cruise, that'll get you up into the range of fully planing hulls, as there are some that'll do 1 nmpg at 16 - 18 kts. 12 kts is just a tough speed to design for, as it's not enough to plane, so most hulls that can do that speed are pushing a lot of water to do it."

, I guess that will have to be the criteria, could be OK with the 1 mpg at 12 knots if the 8 knot mpg is in the sweet spot.

On an average 40 footer with diesels, I'd figure slow cruise should give somewhere in the 2.5 - 3.5 nmpg range at 7 kts, probably 2 - 3 at 8 kts depending on the hull shape and waterline length.

I plugged in some grabass numbers for a 40' semi-displacement hull into Vicprop's prop hp calculator. For a 40' boat of 30,000 lbs displacement to reach 12 kts, takes 169 hp and will burn roughly 10 gph.

So look for a boat with at least 300 hp which will be enough that 169 hp won't be too much load on it.

Any of the older Lehman or Perkins N.A. powered boats won't work, unless it is the turbo version. Look for a Cummins 6B 370 , Cat 3116 350 or Yanmar 6LY 370 powered boat at least for singles.

David

There's that math and physics messing everything up for us dreamers lol!

Thanks that is good info.

I have a 41 foot boat (about 38'lwl) powered by two 220 hp Cats. The broker listing said "16 knot max". That may be true, but 13 kts produces more noise than I can bear, so I've never pushed it to "wide-open"

As to fuel consumption, I can get a reliable 1.7mpg at 8 knots--1600rpm. On the rare occasion when I run at 12kts, 2200, consumption falls below 1mpg. Fortunately, my background is entirely in sailboats, so I still find 8 knots to be fast. :lol:

Our 41’ President with SP225 Lehmans did 17 knots WOT on the sea trial. We generally cruise about 9 knots. We get about 1.25 kmpg at 10 knots.

12 knots is not a good speed for a 40' boat. It will not be on plane and too fast for economical cruise. Just pushing water for no real gain.

Our 41’ President with SP225 Lehmans did 17 knots WOT on the sea trial. We generally cruise about 9 knots. We get about 1.25 kmpg at 10 knots.

Thats pretty good. Is that the aft cabin?

12 knots is not a good speed for a 40' boat. It will not be on plane and too fast for economical cruise. Just pushing water for no real gain.

Yes, I would like a 42 grand banks or ocean Alexander.. possibly a 42 chb europa style.. but it looks like I'll have to be in a semi planing hull.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3437b3243cd677fb19a42949d44513f5&oe=60638942

May be light enough to fill your bill re speed.
Hullform is very compliant to 10-12 knots.
Usta be readily available. Now would take a lot of looking.

Another scarce boat (but plastic) a 41’ descendant of the Camano boat formerly built in BC. Don’t remember the decendant’s name but they were claimed to be very efficient .

Attachments

• C58F1A8D-ADE4-4BE0-A1BE-A6D936D21268.jpg
    C58F1A8D-ADE4-4BE0-A1BE-A6D936D21268.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 9EBCEFC3-ACEF-4371-8CEF-0878D686B7A8.jpg
    9EBCEFC3-ACEF-4371-8CEF-0878D686B7A8.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
How about one of the PDQ 34s? They can do that speed economically.

Not a 40’ boat obviously, but maybe it has the room of a 40’ monohull?

Thats pretty good. Is that the aft cabin?

Yes, it has an aft cabin. There are a lot of different interior layouts in the 41s. But they all have at least 2 cabins and galley down. I have seen a couple that have 3 cabins but they seem cramped to me.

10-12knt trawler? 40'

Pretty easy, 18kn if you like.

0 5 1.jpg

Zfuel.JPG

My old 1977 42' California with 2x 6.354MGT Perkins would happily run at those speeds...of course it would burn a heck of a lot more diesel than at 8-9kn.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3437b3243cd677fb19a42949d44513f5&oe=60638942

May be light enough to fill your bill re speed.
Hullform is very compliant to 10-12 knots.
Usta be readily available. Now would take a lot of looking.

Another scarce boat (but plastic) a 41’ descendant of the Camano boat formerly built in BC. Don’t remember the decendant’s name but they were claimed to be very efficient .

Methinks you refer to what is now called the Bracewell 41. Yes, it looks like a much larger Camano. NO idea though what the specifics are or the $$.
Now built by Bracewell Boats, located at SHelter Island Marina, B.C.
https://www.bracewellmarinegroup.com/

Last edited:
The wake in the cover photo should tell much about their efficiency.
Very low and flat wake traveling at about exactly hull speed.

The Camano 41 (or later Bracewell 41) are not going to be anywhere near the "iron clad" $150,000 budget tho.

Even the PDQ 34 would have to be somewhat ragged for that price (I love those although not sure I'd choose one for PNW anyway).

Sorry I'm only doom and gloom. Luckily it looks like other posters have some good leads.

Thanks for all the input.. I'll keep looking.

Joe before I bought the current boat I was already tired of crossing the Georgia Straight to start my cruise. Been doing that for about 40 years.
My solution was to catch a ferry that travels at 18+ knots to get me to the other side. From there 6-8 knots is a pleasure. The cost of ferry is about the same as fuel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom