Cleaning Non-Skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Just replaced my windlass and the new 1 has a smaller footprint (see pic). The windlass sits on a steel (?) structure that extends forward past the bow and holds the anchor (sorry - not sure of the right terminology for these parts). Anyone have a cleaning recommendation for making the old (darker) windlass footprint disappear?
Thx -
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 17
Just replaced my windlass and the new 1 has a smaller footprint (see pic). The windlass sits on a steel (?) structure that extends forward past the bow and holds the anchor (sorry - not sure of the right terminology for these parts). Anyone have a cleaning recommendation for making the old (darker) windlass footprint disappear?
Thx -
Jim

You know what, I have a similar but smaller issue, and I am going to take my WaterPic out to the boat and fill it with hydrogen peroxide and attake those itty bitty grooves.

I use a pressure washer on my nonskid. You most likely will have a slight difference in color of the gel coat since it has been out of the sun for however many years.

The contrast is likely between the original gelcoat color and the current sun bleached color.

I wouldn't try anything to deliberately change the color. Give it a good scrub, and after a while it'll start to blend better, and eventually it'll be unnoticeable.

That's a special category of problem - one that left ignored will heal itself. I usually leave those ones alone.

Bar keepers friend powder or liquid will take care of most stains. (powder on non skid only as it is an abrasive) For regular maintenance I had great luck with Starbright nonskid cleaner. Non-Skid Deck Cleaner

Bar keepers friend powder or liquid will take care of most stains. (powder on non skid only as it is an abrasive) For regular maintenance I had great luck with Starbright nonskid cleaner. Non-Skid Deck Cleaner

I use this and works very well as does FSR. Then I use a none skid deck wax from starbrite. Spendy but it works for me.

Genco marine used to sell a Non Skid Deck Cleaner. Spray it on and scrub it and wash it off. I used it on my Whaler and it worked great.

I use this and works very well as does FSR. Then I use a none skid deck wax from starbrite. Spendy but it works for me.

Totally agree, but find the Starbrite better than FSR (have both). I've also used straight blesch, and the windlass case, I'll clean it well then put down a towel, soaked with bleach, and let it sit for a long time.

BUT, over the years, I really get sick and tired of constantly cleaning the non skid. Next time I'll find a good deck material and cover it, like PlasTeak or similar. Did that on a smaller boat are was absolutely GREAT. And easy to clean. Obviously this is not a solution for the OP... just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom