Engine throttle control lever issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonedoc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DOÑA
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
My Downeaster has an older double control setup for a single diesel. The unit is worn and needs replacement. I plan to change to a single lever engine control as my preference.

The new single Teleflex unit can be set up to "pull" or "push' the control cables depending on your setup. Okay, fine.

Upon opening up my original Morse controls I find the gear cable to be a "push" setup, and my throttle cable to be a "pull" setup. However, the
new single lever Teleflex I unpackaged today has the option of either BOTH push or BOTH pull.

So what to do?
1. Go back to dual lever control box?(Not my preference)
2. Order a single lever action that has more cable hook up options? (if they make such a thing)
3. Re-route the transmission cable from a push to a pull orientation?
4. Something else?

Attachments

• FDE6976D-4BA3-4B7D-8F87-455E4AC3A294.jpeg
    FDE6976D-4BA3-4B7D-8F87-455E4AC3A294.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 6FE3D1AB-F96A-4724-8481-E4C9F1540B65.jpg
    6FE3D1AB-F96A-4724-8481-E4C9F1540B65.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 14
Return it and buy a Kobelt. Much better quality and can be configured as you need it.

Ted

Have you checked at the other ends of the cable to see if one can be changed for direction. This may involve longer cable, new mount point etc.
Then compare the cost of doing that to getting one that can be adjusted to work with your system.

Bonedoc,

I have a pair of Kobalt used single lever dual controls. I would be willing to sell one or both if you are interested.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I will keep that in mind- prior to buying another I have to make sure that it is feasible without changing the cable arrangement for the Kobelt as well.

(My transmission cable pushes and my throttle cable pulls)

The single lever control should be able to be setup however you need it. Looking at the Morse MT 3 directions you flip the shift plate over inside the control to change the push-pull.

Solly- yes this can be done on this Teleflex also- but either both cable are push or both are pull- cannot separate for each as far as I can see.

I had a dual engine control on my N46, main and get home.
I have a single lever electronic on my AT34. I miss my dual engine control.
I guess it is just a personal preference.

An update- the unit CAN be setup to do cable push or pull separately. The issue is the supplied directions are horrendous! After speaking with technical service at Seastar- what they ASSUME you will figure out from esoteric diagrams is beyond belief.

Anyway I plan to tackle this in the near future and I will post a step by step as I go

Thanks for all the help so far.

I love the double handle controls for my single engine.

I guess single handle might be easier or simpler, maybe even safer but to each his own.

pete

I like them too- gives a nice nautical look as well.
However- I have 50 years of muscle memory with a single control for one thing. Secondly my younger adult children ages 30ish will be using boat and also were brought up on single lever controls. Looking to keep my Awlgrip looking good avoiding crash docking via kids!

Back
Top Bottom