Electric Johnson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I visited our local Lion's Club bargain centre and couldn't resist this old electric outboard. It's a 12 volt Johnson, probably close to 30 years old.

I paid the asking price of $50 and brought it home to see if it worked. I hooked it up to one of my retired house bank batteries and she was a goer.
4 speeds, although only 1, 3 & 4 seem to be working, plus reverse.
I filled up a 100 litre garbage bin with water and run it on "3" for 30 minutes before the old battery dropped below 12 volts. The 12" 2 blade prop seemed to have a fair amount of thrust.

I will try it out on the dinghy when I get a chance. A good backup for my equally old 3hp 2-stroke Mercury.

Is anyone familiar with electric Johnsons? (the outboard type) Are parts still available? I haven't been able to find much info on the web.

Attachments

• FF85E2F2-06D1-4CA4-84CB-FFA0DA967926.jpeg
    FF85E2F2-06D1-4CA4-84CB-FFA0DA967926.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 15
Yep. electric trolling motor for bass boats.Doubt if you can get parts but you will find old ones pop up on ebay.

Be sure to gt the info on how to lube the drive setup.

Here is one example of a service manual on EBAY. Put the following in the Ebay search line:

1995 Johnson Evinrude Electric Outboard Trolling Motor Service Repair Manual OMC

Back
Top Bottom