windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broadus, that is the most cryptic advert ever. You guys do great work, get a commercial membership here and post some links. Good fabricators beyond just windows too.

I was totally overthinking options to replace my windows during my upcoming haul out and it's a struggle here to find glaziers that will work on marine jobs

The yard boss quoting for my jobs said just get some polycarbonate and tubes of adhesive and bond it to the superstructure. Nothing like Keeping It Simple Stupid

Suits me as I'm a function over form type of guy and it probably will lookbetter than blistering aluminium frames (I'm a steel hull) or rust under rubber seals anyway.

OOPS, I was trying to search what people were doing for windows not advertise.

Sorry, I would gladly advertise for my company if i see there is a need .

If you decide to go with new windows don't get square ones!

You need rounded corners and unique shapes to match your boat lines.

Nothing looks more out of place than aluminum window frames on a boat.

pete

Welcome aboard. What type of windows do you have now? Maybe some photos of the current windows would help.

What ever the shape, Awning windows can be left partially open in heavy rain.

Depends what you want, opening, fixed, seamless, etc.

I redid my GB windows last year. An incredible job to do right.

Knowing the pain I was about to endure, I explored many alternatives except aluminum.

The best choice is extruded fiberglass, cut and routed to an almost flush shape. It can be glued or screwed down. Easy to paint and seal. Cheap materials. Almost did my GB with it.

Next is wood. Mahogany is long lasting and very forgiving, easy to work.

A good cabinet maker can use either material and build exactly what you want. Frames can be proud or flush mount.

I used urethane sealant, Awlwood primer to epoxy seal wood, and the Awlgrip primer and top coat. Looks exactly like fiberglass, can not tell where wood and fiberglass meet.

It is really just a man hours thing. I am very fast and efficient, still took about twenty hours per window, start to finish. Much faster if you don't bung seal the screws.

If you decide to go with new windows don't get square ones!

You need rounded corners and unique shapes to match your boat lines.

Nothing looks more out of place than aluminum window frames on a boat.

pete

I respectfully object - anodized and properly fitted aluminium frames can look very nice on a white painted surface

Back
Top Bottom