Lobster Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the boat you use to go and buy your lobster when living on a 300 feet yacht [emoji1787]

L

This is the boat you use to go and buy your lobster when living on a 300 feet yacht [emoji1787]

L

No, this is the boat the hotel staff on your 100m yacht use to go to the fish market.

L

Ahhhhhh, very good! I think you are right, that explains it.

I thought the description of flared bow and deep vee at the transom was a sure sign that the article has some questionable wording.

Looks like a lollypop.
One thing I like about the type is the clean and innovative way many of them deal w the anchor issue. Get’s rid of the bow pulpit.

It's in the same world wherein 99% of the boats represented on this forum are trawlers.

It's in the same world wherein 99% of the boats represented on this forum are trawlers.

Good point but I would propose that most boats on this forum are close to a trawler than that boat is to a lobster boat!

I think it's called a lobster boat because that's the color your hide will be
after a few days in the open cockpit!

Deep vee lobster boat! Good one. Pure hogwash.

Perhaps it's the large sun beds on the bow and stern for the tired lobstermen to take a break on.

Good point but I would propose that most boats on this forum are close to a trawler than that boat is to a lobster boat!

I would propose not. By a lot.

Let's consider the boat in question.

Bluff bow.
Fast
Similar sheerline
Mostly open

History-Lobster-Boats-1920x914.jpg

And in comparing our various boats here is an actual trawler for reference.

ACtC-3fVJZy-MBmbbjJGA_NcxS5V9z74PqbjBiY9h7MMofDPK5jN4Gb9pCm8S3tTMa4ArC6TuD1LkMc-hsMwpSdZ8PfCEXkyFNwJgkT8qP2cn8A6_tj4lfIRGKyaHG-gy-7SYszeDgcp05EbanuC1MU_uiqRiJDDjrgVsbrmRe90HzfqOmVPeGpZ46vsDVdSDJwUecNsKOaTBjMkC2KRQLRDt-o1V6vtGuRpjL0eVC6AqyRVsms6JifCNN3hb9k2LpCjC8857iGyscaxc0r-ppQ75QHSVYffnzI_fzm7S7h-i0yZBxlNbyhupz5-w67CSARzfjJdJL6tD5lFc3uEFSOqB-yldP-I5t2fq5U-vQ5jhmrk0owe90T5Km39ynL_Iy_QJ_XTs3tnwoQQ3ojn2iEOqgluBOFB-NzlTMhIE9Aw5rWLg0rbRKvGhyQrtj1iC8iPJpdA0D9dzmMut_GoKSP1A35XONl761uxJ4UJE9TMYwaQUuJQp-S-U-TYKcUkcmpHwHxw-EI4CZ2dmGJhz4Xwa5UvOXzwJYOyOnifTYfEUjSGcHxihlsj7SJHVhMAwihJw60tnhJrUtq2ZutlRYzhG3tLIOhV3cDStYfBLq0nT5IX92fPt3JtvRKuSts5Cc4fg8TOFtGejf5zfphai-zXKe4jq2yXAK7Krz4aTZjPzk9qo152XxR0fTCT6kO9NvkcDpjmy5wRWvtGdH28AA4j=w800-h600-no

The word "Trawler" has been misused and very popular for a number of years. Guess maybe it's time to misuse some other boating words.

I would like to hear the definition which covers a true lobster boat and can also cover this rich mans toy.

pete

I would propose not. By a lot.

Let's consider the boat in question.

Bluff bow.
Fast
Similar sheerline
Mostly open

History-Lobster-Boats-1920x914.jpg

And in comparing our various boats here is an actual trawler for reference.

ACtC-3fVJZy-MBmbbjJGA_NcxS5V9z74PqbjBiY9h7MMofDPK5jN4Gb9pCm8S3tTMa4ArC6TuD1LkMc-hsMwpSdZ8PfCEXkyFNwJgkT8qP2cn8A6_tj4lfIRGKyaHG-gy-7SYszeDgcp05EbanuC1MU_uiqRiJDDjrgVsbrmRe90HzfqOmVPeGpZ46vsDVdSDJwUecNsKOaTBjMkC2KRQLRDt-o1V6vtGuRpjL0eVC6AqyRVsms6JifCNN3hb9k2LpCjC8857iGyscaxc0r-ppQ75QHSVYffnzI_fzm7S7h-i0yZBxlNbyhupz5-w67CSARzfjJdJL6tD5lFc3uEFSOqB-yldP-I5t2fq5U-vQ5jhmrk0owe90T5Km39ynL_Iy_QJ_XTs3tnwoQQ3ojn2iEOqgluBOFB-NzlTMhIE9Aw5rWLg0rbRKvGhyQrtj1iC8iPJpdA0D9dzmMut_GoKSP1A35XONl761uxJ4UJE9TMYwaQUuJQp-S-U-TYKcUkcmpHwHxw-EI4CZ2dmGJhz4Xwa5UvOXzwJYOyOnifTYfEUjSGcHxihlsj7SJHVhMAwihJw60tnhJrUtq2ZutlRYzhG3tLIOhV3cDStYfBLq0nT5IX92fPt3JtvRKuSts5Cc4fg8TOFtGejf5zfphai-zXKe4jq2yXAK7Krz4aTZjPzk9qo152XxR0fTCT6kO9NvkcDpjmy5wRWvtGdH28AA4j=w800-h600-no
I guess this depends where you are.
The boats below are lobster boats from Nova Scotia and hardly look like the pimp boat shown in the first post.

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

L

Bear in mind that they’re referring to sweet Italian lobsters of the double breasted variety.
Boats like that are very effective at harvesting them.

Bear in mind that they’re referring to sweet Italian lobsters of the double breasted variety.
Boats like that are very effective at harvesting them.
Oh I see, the ones you catch with leather shows and wallet bait [emoji28]

L

Even if I had the extra money for that boat, it would never make the list of boats I would buy.

Lou, pay attention to the sheerline, the deck plan and hull form. I've spent a lot of time up in all of the Maritimes and there isn't much basic difference between the fundamentals of the boats up there vs Maine. Versus, say your boat (or my old Hatteras ) and the trawler in my picture?

I always thought Georges got it right when he named the email list "Trawlers and Trawlering". Most of the subject matter on this forum falls into the latter.

I got your point about hull design but really... Lobster boat don't have cushions on fore or aft deck nor they can go 30 knots, nor they have tek deck, or (and there I am opening the pandora box) twin engines.

L

I got your point about hull design but really... Lobster boat don't have cushions on fore or aft deck nor they can go 30 knots, nor they have tek deck, or (and there I am opening the pandora box) twin engines.

L

Neither do trawlers yet here we are ;)

Attachments

• e117aacdd0f9f3b2bc64afa46610fc80.jpg
    e117aacdd0f9f3b2bc64afa46610fc80.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 16
Comodave, I couldn't agree more. With that money I would buy a very beautiful boat that looks absolutely nothing like that one, or most modern boats for that matter.

One attribute to a real lobster boat is it is built as a working vessel, so it can not stand idle.

The use of a keel cooler and dry stack makes winter operation with little effort a snap.

Many lobster boats can change engines overnight , another delight.

Early 70's I spent many a day on lobster boats in Penobscot Bay Maine.

Occasionally [4th o' July and the like] we had some BIG parties on small islands... boiling lobsters in a caldron with melted butter by the pound and kegs in tubs of ice - cold beer always on tap! They'd be several lobster boats in a small harbor. Need more lobsters for the three day party - no prob... Crazy K, John E. or another lobsterman would just go out in their boat to haul more traps.

Then, the traps were all oak... hand made. I know, worked in the Rockport Trap Stock Mill when Pecky owned it... building oak lobster traps from start of big oak rounds to finished traps stacked in the pickup yard. The mill burned to the ground later in the 70's.

Yeah - I know old lobster boats and now still have some old lobstermen friends. Hell of a lifestyle! Talk about some tough folks! Say Howdy!

Italian lobster boat

Amici! The Italian word for "lobster" is "aragosta." It's really an Aragosta Boat. Now, Doesn't that clear things up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom