Velvet Drive questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine was way beyond a rebuild kit- damaged gears etc. Installed new trans. today with the help of an experienced mechanic. Actually pretty easy install except for the weight. Even so us 2 old dudes muscled it in ok. After this experience I am thinking of carring a spare transmission on board- especially sence I am single screw. Leaving Twin Rivers Marina ,Crystal River now after a long week here. Nice place but no-see-ums eat you alive! Thanks to everyone for your help

You won't need to carry a spare tranny. This one should be good for many many hours.

I had my BW VD rebuilt about two years ago by Transmission Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Only took them about a week once they got it. Very friendly and very good. Highly recommend. There is also a place in Seattle which I think was also mentioned for fabricating parts. That is accurate and I got a quote there as well - both were priced about the same. Went with FL since I live in the SE. Can't say enough good things about the experience and feel free to pm any questions.

Sorry. Just read back a couple posts and see you have a "new" transmission. May consider giving Transmission Marine a call. Not sure but there is a chance that if any of your old transmission is salvageable they may be interested in purchasing parts for future rebuilds.

Very expensive if you can find it

That sun gear shaft is no longer manufactured. ?. The pinion gear is still available at $500. You could have a micro weld shop repair the splines.

Just as another data point and not an expert opinion:

My little 1977 Grand Banks 32 has the same transmission model (10-13-000-003, Serial No. 4154, 2.1:1 reduction gear), installed in 1987 according to a maintenance note in the boat's papers. In 2001 it was mated to a new 2001 American Diesel 140, the last of the line (rated at 139hp but essentially the same as your 135).

I suggest you call Brian Smith at American Diesel (804) 435-3107 for the best info. He really knows his stuff about both the Ford engines and the Velvet Drive transmissions. He also has records of engines and transmissions going WAY back, which may be helpful.

Transmission Marine Fort Lauderdale 954 941 5093 have rebuilt both my drop center Velvet Drives in the past 3 years.
Don't listen to all the naysayers, all parts are still available although TM do get some parts manufactured for them.
They are first class with impressive workshops and staff.
Get them to recon the unit while you're at it and change the drive damper plate when it's all apart.

Attachments

• recon port tranny.jpg
    recon port tranny.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 11
Transmission Marine Fort Lauderdale 954 941 5093 have rebuilt both my drop center Velvet Drives in the past 3 years. Don't listen to all the naysayers, all parts are still available although TM do get some parts manufactured for them. They are first class with impressive workshops and staff. Get them to recon the unit while you're at it and change the drive damper plate when it's all apart.

Naysayers? No, just realists. Any transmission shop can replace disks and seals for the typical rebuild. Bearings are also readily available. Try and find a CR2 control valve. It will cost as much as the transmission.

Keep your oil pan full and replace oil cooler on a schedule and you won't have any problems.

Does anyone have a picture of a CR2 Control valve, just for my own interest

Thank you

Last edited:
Realists? - no - I'm back to naysayers.
I hate giving out false information so I called Transmission Marine and a CR2 valve which they admit they'd machine themselves would be less than $600.
They restated that they have all parts to rebuild a 'drop' Velvet, although the main input shafts are becoming hard to find.

Realists? - no - I'm back to naysayers.
I hate giving out false information so I called Transmission Marine and a CR2 valve which they admit they'd machine themselves would be less than $600.
They restated that they have all parts to rebuild a 'drop' Velvet, although the main input shafts are becoming hard to find.

I rest my case. A rebuilt 71C will go for $750 sans shipping. There weren't as many CR2's built so not much of a demand. Components such as planetaries, input shafts, control valves are expensive to machine. I suspect TM is one of several places in US still making parts.

(Thanks for taking the time to confirm)

You rest your case? I wouldn't want you as my defense lawyer.

I rest my case. A rebuilt 71C will go for $750 sans shipping. There weren't as many CR2's built so not much of a demand. Components such as planetaries, input shafts, control valves are expensive to machine. I suspect TM is one of several places in US still making parts.

(Thanks for taking the time to confirm)
For those that have the models where there is no direct replacement, id rather pay double the rebuild price vs remount the engine and reprop. Plus then should match tbe other side as well... big dollars and headaches. Even if the rebuild ended up double the new transmission, might be very welcomed.

Velvet Drive

The contact is Brian at American Diesel.

Google it and you'll get the info you need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom