Thread: Nordhavn
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #1
Junctionboy

City: Junction
Nordhavn

I have been “boat shopping” for the last 2 years, basically an online search and research project— subscribing to YouTube channels etc. Orignally I saw sailors going to the Marquesas on catamarans and thought “man thats what I want to do.”
So the wife and I went to the Miami boat show and looked at some of these big floating condos. I loved the space and the livability of these floated condos. But, I didnt love the construction or the fit and finish. New boats that creaked and had cored bottoms and just didnt seem to be super sea worthy.
My next bit was on power boats and sportfishers and I then found Trawlers they looked good and seemed to be able to do all things well and there boats of all ages-but man the prices are all over the place. I then stumbled on Nordhavn they looked good and I saw reports that they were very seaworthy but not the be all and the end all I also saw reports that they were the be all and end all. But overall they have very high marks for fit and finish and seaworthiness and man are they expensive even in resale.
I see other boats that appear to be in the same class (maybe they are not) with similar features and similar reviews and of the same age— they are much cheaper.
At fist I figured it was a strong dealership keeping and reselling the boats and keeping the prices high— better resale = big selling point. I seems to be one of the only boats I have seen that just does not depreciate that much — maybe they are far more expensive than i realize new and in comparison to there competition and its all relative. Not trying to start a war— but am I missing something here? Why are some of these 20-30 year old boats so much more expensive than the competition? Forgive me if this is a touchy subject or its been covered before— I didnt do a lot of searching on the subject.
Junctionboy is offline   Reply With Quote