Which Diesel Engine Oil To Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The MaryAnn

Vessel Name
The MaryAnn
Vessel Make
34' Californian Trawler
What Type of Oil do I use for my 1979 V-6 twin diesel Californian?

Im changing my oil, can someone please tell me which oil is best?

these are my specs:

twin marine turbo charged diesels
Ford/Fiat Model: in line 6-cylinder H.P./CU.CI: rep as 155 hp ea engine

Hi I'm a new owner and I'm not sure which oil to use, I have a 1979 Californian Trawler, these are my specs:

Ford/Fiat Model: in line 6-cylinder H.P./CU.CI: rep as 155 hp ea engine

twin marine turbo charged diesels

Thank you.

[Mod Edit] Above duplicate threads merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Use what ever the manufacture recommends in it's service manual.
If you can not locate that use 15W40 Diesel oil.

Thanks, can you tell me where to get the manual?

I can not find that engine on the web, and have never seen one.
Maybe someone else on here knows about it.
But, that a new one to me.

Last edited:
I don't think that is good advice. He really needs to get the specs.

Maybe these people know....

https://www.tadiesels.com/upg/ford_fiat.htm

I was told A 1030 or 1040 by the previous mechanic, I wish I could find the owners manual, it’s a 1979 Californian Trawler made by Marshall boats, here’s the survey >

https://themaryann.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/The-Mary-Ann.pdf

There will be 100 recommendations. The answer is you are not going to hurt your engine with any good diesel rated oil. eg. Rotella t-4 , extremely cold weather start up is the only variable

I like Rotella. And use it in my Ford Lehmans.

I have never ever seen a diesel fail from ‘ wrong’ diesel oil.

Rotella, same as for my Dodge Diesel truck.

Its a rare diesel that doesn't stomach 15W40 Diesel rated oil...but there are a few.

If I can't find something else that is "required", it would do just fine.

Rotella, same as for my Dodge Diesel truck.

Rotella, for all my diesels. Have 509,000 miles on my Dodge pickup with the Cummins diesel. Clearly it likes Rotella T 15W/40.

Ted

Shell Rotella T-4 or Chevron Delo 400 Heavy Duty Motor Oil.

These are not the only acceptable oils but they are the most common in boating.

The nice thing about Rotella is that it is available everywhere. Delo not as much so it may be more difficult to find in the boonies. Rotella can be found easily.

The nice thing about Rotella is that it is available everywhere. Delo not as much so it may be more difficult to find in the boonies. Rotella can be found easily.

Haven't found a Walmart that didn't carry Rotella.

Ted

Not in Australia
Doesn't exist

Sorry for my interjection and do not mind me but Rotella is a Shell brand of diesel oil but exist in many different flavours.
Saying oil for his engine is Rotella is like saying tires for my car are Michelin.

No bad intent in my comment though, don't shoot the messenger [emoji846]

L

Not in Australia
Doesn't exist

My mistake, since the OP is in the US that was what I was speaking to. Didn’t mean to leave you out down under. I actually order Rotella from Amazon. It gives the UPS driver a reason to stop and our dog absolutely loves him and is very disappointed when he drives by and doesn’t stop.

My mistake, since the OP is in the US that was what I was speaking to. Didn’t mean to leave you out down under.....
We do have Shell as a petroleum brand, their "servo' (Aussie for service/gas station, as in "you`re not buying her servo flowers are you?" outlets sell oils.

Post a pic of the data plate. Is it a 2713, 2715, 2725, or something else? The base Ford engine would dictate the oil grade, but a 1979 diesel would be fine with either 15w40 or SAE 30, CJ or CK would be fine.

I don’t know what it is like in the boonies. Here on the west coast I have never seen a shelf that didn’t have the Rotella sitting next to the Delo.

There are a lot of places here that stock Rotella and don’t have Delo. I guess that things are different in different places...

I would select any single weight oil as all brands should meet the CD rated oil needed when the engines were built.
Use multi viscosity if you engine start below 32F

Choose an easy to locate oil and stick with the brand , do not mix brands.

Carry enough on board for at least 3 full oil changes. "Stuff happens".

If you start to have the oil lab tested you may be able to extend the change interval as all oils have improved in 40+ years.

Last edited:
I would select any single weight oil as all brands should meet the CD rated oil needed when the engines were built.

I guess single weight oils are fine if you have a Lehman or old Detroit. If your engine was designed and built in the last 40 years, might be better to follow the engine manufacturer's recommendations, especially if you want to maintain a warranty.

Ted

Whatever weight and grade of oil you decide upon, find out if NAPA carries it. They are everywhere in the US, quality is excellent and the price is reasonable. Plus, being an auto parts store, they deliver for free to your marina. I’ve even had them take the old oil away to pour into their recycling barrel.

Any Heavy Duty Diesel oil of a weight recommended by the engine manufacturer, with the highest API category you can find will be fine. Note that Diesel oils API classifications are completely different API classifications for oil for gas engines.

I happen to use Rotella T-4.

We don't put many hours on the engines these days and the boat is in heated winter storage for seven moths of the year. So I've extended oil changes to every two years. Rotella T-6 synthetic seems the best choice under the circumstances. Very inexpensive.

Choose an easy to locate oil and stick with the brand , do not mix brands.

Carry enough on board for at least 3 full oil changes. "Stuff happens".

If you start to have the oil lab tested you may be able to extend the change interval as all oils have improved in 40+ years.

I’ve used single weight for years. Above 32f degrees engines start just like it was 75 outside. Because my engine is “inside” (like yours) it never gets below about 40 degrees. Trawlers don’t need multi-viscosity. The only reason/benefit of mv is cold weather starting. That’s why they engineered mv. For the army in the 50’s .. in the arctic.
I use Chevron Delo 30w. I suspect it’s less available on the east coast. I had never heard of Rotella before I got on TF in 07. Do they have 30w?
I bought Delo from NAPA in Alaska while I lived there recently. I think NAPA is everywhere in the US.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom