Hello from a lost noob on Vancouver Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My biggest reason for twin diesels is that we have strong currents , even whirlpools in desolation sound , dont I need power?

You have big dangerous currents. A Tide and Current book is your best friend in that area. I don’t care how powerful your boat is, running Seymour Narrows against a spring tide is dangerous.

My biggest reason for twin diesels is that we have strong currents , even whirlpools in desolation sound , dont I need power?

NO.

If you want the power to go fast that's fine. But do not count on the power to keep you out of trouble in the passes with fast , strong currents.

What you do need to do is get ahold of the tide and current tables and learn to use them so you avoid those currents. As you gain experience with the currents you can play around a bit but even so they deserve respect.

I have known people with the attitude that they can power through any current. The only trouble was the currents did not understand or agree with their thinking.

Nobody got killed but there were injuries and boat damage. Also wood can be hidden in the turbulent water. At slack water, which is when you should aim for, that same wood will usually be visible unless it is a true deadhead.

Unfortunately Canada no longer publishes the Tide and Current tables. They do offer them for free online and/or for you to print. I have downloaded them but finally broke down and purchased the Ports and Passes book which I had resisted for the last MANY years.

I would suggest you download the Cdn, version and learn to use the tables for nothing other than the effort. When you get your boat then buy the P & P book.

It is not just the currents that are important. You also need to understand the tides and how to use those tables or you may be stranded/beached or run over something you need not have.

Lots of anchorages are useable but only if you understand the tide tables.

Last and I will leave. The faster you go the less time you have to spot floating hazards and if/when you argue with something the damage will be more severe.

Last edited:
What C lectric said. If you want to boat around here you need to understand and work with the tides. Seymour, and a few other tidal passes in the area, have fearsome reputations but with knowledge and respect you will have no problems. I have a single engine, cruise at 8 knots, and can usually get wherever I want to. But you cannot have hard deadlines or bad stuff happens.

I’m going to get a little nuanced but what the heck - you guys are 100% correct that one must know the currents in his waters. Period. But a 20 knot boat vs an 8 knot boat widens the margins, in some ways considerably. We spent our first several summers going north on a Tiara. Knowing we could be across the straights in an hour and a half or that I could hammer it and make it through a rapids at slack without precise timing / planning was nice.

If the OP envisions day trips, short weekends etc. that may be a pretty good benefit. There are many 35 foot +/- planing boats that will run at 1 MPG +/- at cruise.

Last edited:
For our area, Campbell River/Powell River, Comox, etc. One main engine, one bow thruster, one dinghy with decent power. The bow thruster is a huge assist, the dinghy with decent power is your tender and your alternative power should your main power quit, this is rare.

With twins, you have twin serving, maintenance etc, you are doubling your engine bill.
For your budget, keep a look out for a used Nordic or Ranger tug, just about perfect boats for our waters, and distance cruising down to Victoria or Olympia and up to SE Alaska. At $100,000 if you see a tug style boat and its in reasonable shape, jump at it, in general they move quickly.

Double that!!

I did purposely run Seymour Narrows against a small tide two years ago. I was able to work the back eddies along the shore for quite a bit and make good headway, but there came a point where I had to get out in the center of the current for about the last 1/2 mile.... with all the engine running closes to full, I made 3 knots over ground! No danger, and I knew what I was getting into (small tide) but I was glad to finish slogging through it!

My suggestion is budget $80,000 for the boat and the remaining $20,000 for updating and repairs that will pop up quickly if they don't already exist. You can get something decent for $80,000.

:thumb:
Generally speaking, you can get a 'better' boat for $60K-80K. Dont be afraid of a single engine boat. Just requires more practice. Practice backing down straight while away from the dock. Then slide into the slip bow first and back out straight. A bow thruster will make life easier when it comes to docking and line tying.
Neutral is a gear, use it! Watch how the boat behaves before making a correction. A slow approach may be perfect.
Come to think of it, employ a training captain for a day and a night. Watch him/her, listen to him/her, remember what he/she says and teaches you.
I have a single engine (380 Cummins) boat but, you sure cant get an American Tug for less than $250K.
Good luck, enjoy the learning experience and your travels.

Last edited:
:

Neutral is a gear, use it! Watch how the boat behaves before making a correction. A slow approach may be perfect.

Very well put! Neutral and watch, and forget you have a throttle until you get things figured out. Much cheaper on the pocket book, and what’s left of your 100K.

I have spent the winter watching You Tube, and I can’t quite understand some boats from 10’ to 100’, unless you stroke out behind the wheel what the hell is this forward reverse full stick? Sorry wondered a little bit....

I have spent the winter watching You Tube, and I can’t quite understand some boats from 10’ to 100’, unless you stroke out behind the wheel what the hell is this forward reverse full stick? Sorry wondered a little bit....

Could be they lost control of the approach?

Trying to over come the wind and or current?

Hint: once you get a bow or stern line over, with the rudder, you can move the opposite end of the boat to the dock. Fun to do. MORE practice.

Greetings,
Just like the tourist who was lost in New York. He asked a passerby "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The guy said "Practice".

True event: Came down from upstate NY, got on the toll way, went around twice and finally asked on the CB, "How do I get out of NY." ANSWER: Get off at GW exit and then....

Could be they lost control of the approach?

Trying to over come the wind and or current?

Hint: once you get a bow or stern line over, with the rudder, you can move the opposite end of the boat to the dock. Fun to do. MORE practice.

LOL! Yes let’s call it lost control! Or just a damn idiot.... it’s one thing to have to run and push off a piling or another boat....but really, putting the hammer down never gets you out of trouble unless you know your boat well. All this time I
have been doing wrong...

I have to brag. One of the items that came with my new Mercruiser engine's throttle is a button called "dock." When this button is deployed, the throttle rpm's is halved, thus providing more control at slow speeds. I love, love, love, this option.

I have to brag. One of the items that came with my new Mercruiser engine's throttle is a button called "dock." When this button is deployed, the throttle rpm's is halved, thus providing more control at slow speeds. I love, love, love, this option.
Damn! Where is it? I know it's here somewhere.
I'm looking for that fine line between bragging about it and being embarrassed to admit using it.

What ever happened to being able to put a 40 foot single screw, into a 45 foot space in the wind, at 3am, single handed?

Glad to hear that you did not think it would dock the boat like that car that can parallel park itself. Murphy says someone will press that button and wait for it to happen. :D

Red a few posts... did read yours on first page.

35 to 40 foot boat cruising at 20 knots can = about 1/2 a mile per gallon. 40 gal per hr. x $3 per gal = $120 to go 20 miles [$6 per mile]. Do the math!

Welcome aboard!

BTW: $100K fun money to buy a used boat ain't poor...

So do you reckon these folks had such a switch and did they use it or not?
https://youtu.be/hq6hXKBTXmw

On Detroits with DDEC you can set a low idle. Normal is about 740 rpm and my low is set to about 400. So nice in benign conditions to be able to drop rpms.

The majority of "trawlers" are high-powered, duel-engine boats with flybridge. Thus are readily available. "Simpler" types are less common.

I'm in the minority.

Attachments

• San Joaquin River.jpg
    San Joaquin River.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 19
It is not necessary to go fast all the time but the option is great to have.
Slow down and those same numbers become 2-3 NMpg

Reactions: Art
For close quarters... entering a berth, gas docks - etc.

I love twin screws. Leave helm/rudders at straight ahead. Drop engines to between 700 and 900 rpm. Work transmission shifts anywhere between forward, neutral, reverse; depending on needs be. If required momentarily juice one or both engines in a gear position desired/required.

Sort of like working a full track tractor [which I've done plenty of times]. Twins can make a boat dance at really slow [docking] speeds.

I am a shrew? :( Thank you everyone for all your help, the search goes on with more knowledge. I am not a young hot-rodder looking to tear up the docks, I want a slow life with the option of speed for weather and such, I understand the tides but need to learn about waters where I will be. I am not rushing into anything and I understand my budget, I have a bit more money than that but that is designated to pay to get the boat to local waters all checked out :) No real plans, it might end up being a man cave docked at the local marina ready for weekends just sitting there. I love the water, best sleep I ever had was on a 28 ft sailboat I stayed in for a few days. Life is great and even better on the water :)

I had a N46 with a 12hp (upgraded) bow thruster. The main engine was a Lugger (aka John Dere) The rudder was big as a barn door. Back and fill worked fine with the bow thruster as necessary. It could go 8knts allllll day and night.

The majority of "trawlers" are high-powered, duel-engine boats with flybridge. Thus are readily available. "Simpler" types are less common.

I'm in the minority.

Come on guy, you have a beautiful boat.

Come on guy, you have a beautiful boat.

Yes! Mark has a really nice craft. The true meaning of rugged, safe and comfortable. Clearly, he and wife love it!

Help

twin diesel is a preference , nothing locked in stone. 8 knots sounds like a perfect cruising speed but I dont want to be stuck at that speed, maybe I am thinking it wrong :)

The first Red Flag that I saw was that you "know nothing about boats" but you are looking for a twin engine 36' Trawler that will do 20 kts.

My advice (and I'm not trying to rain on your parade). Slow down. Charter a Trawler with a Captain to take you out and get an idea of what you are looking at. There are any number of places that have that available. Google it. Then charter a couple of different boats to see how they perform and what you like and dislike. Take a Power Squadron Course. Maybe join a boat club that will allow you to gain some experience and knowledge. Under no circumstances would I recommend that you spend $100k on a 36' boat, having no knowledge of what you are signing on for. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom