GB32 Woodie Under Contract: Lots of Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much! I have to figure out how to read that now. Electricity is still dark witchcraft to me :)

Let me know if you need anything else manual wise I have all the original manuals and engine manuals my boat was a one owner boat up to the guy I got it from he only had it for a year. I have all original documents. Also I rebuilt my injectors so if you ever need to do that I can give you the procedure it is really easy made a difference I had 2 of them that where not spraying correctly. Good luck great to have another woody in good condition.

Let me know if you need anything else manual wise I have all the original manuals and engine manuals my boat was a one owner boat up to the guy I got it from he only had it for a year. I have all original documents. Also I rebuilt my injectors so if you ever need to do that I can give you the procedure it is really easy made a difference I had 2 of them that where not spraying correctly. Good luck great to have another woody in good condition.

Pilon, does it say/show anywhere where the temp sensor is installed on the Borg Warner 71 or 72C. My manual refers to one, none installed at present.

Thanks so much! I have to figure out how to read that now. Electricity is still dark witchcraft to me :)

It's not an electrical schematic with all the arcane electrical symbols; you just follow the wires from place to place. :)

Regarding tranny temp sensor/switch

While there was a flat spot of the side of my Borg Warner trannies on my 1972 GB42, there was no such item attached at any time in the boat's life as far as I could tell, nor have I ever seen one on the numerous trannies I have seen on other boats. Not that such an installation is not a good idea, just that maybe not really considered necessary. The fact that the spot was flat with surface mounting screw holes on either side and not a threaded hole into the units makes me think it was designed for an overheat switch rather than a sensor.

This is the sensor, there are several holes into which it can go where cooling hoses can go. While I have the service manual and it refers to the sensor, no specific location is mentioned.
temp sensor.jpg

Well hello! We recently put a 1972 GB32 under contract and have tons of questions. The boat was used as a SUP charter boat and McCovey Cove party barge for Giants games here in SF. Its called the Barbary Ghost and its...infamous.

Sadly the owner's charter business has been shut down during COVID and he is unloading the boat. We've offer $12k conditional on survey and he accepted. I'm hopeful thats a reasonable price for the work we need to do. We plan on learning and doing as much of the work we can, but have started to identify people we can hire out specific jobs for reasonable rates.

Cosmetically its rough but it had a rebuild Ford Lehman 120 and the bottom inspected and repaired 5 years ago. It had another bottom job and inspection 2 years ago. So im hopeful there are no structural issues but the survey will tell next week.

I could use some help to get me oriented and up to speed on the project. I was looking for the GB Woody and GB forum but both look like they no longer work? Thats such a shame. From the comments they seem like they were amazing resources. Is this forum the next best resource today?

Ok so here are the questions I would love some feedback on. If you think we're being naive, by all means, share your opinion. I like to go into these projects knowing all my blind spots.

What I know:

• The deckhouse, flybridge and all the brightwork needs to be stripped, sanded, repainted and revarnished. We have a team of 3 guys who will help us bang this heavy lifting over 1-2 weeks so we are back to a clean slate. That will make the project far less daunting.
  • I heard the flybridges are prone to rot. Luckily this one seems solid. Im wondering if it was already replaced at some point.
  • The interior needs to be completely stripped, repainted and revarnished. It looks like a fraternity house right now. We will do that ourselves.
  • The decks are so-so. They need to be bleached and the proud caulking trimmed. And then likely be recaulked as a longer term project.
  • The topsides aren't terrible. So that might be a job for next year. But all the bronze rub-rails need to to have pealing paint stripped off them.
  • All the stainless rails where painted black. I dont know why. They need to be stripped.
  • The port fuel tank is shot. We will need to cut it out and likely replaced with plastic tanks? But thats not an urgent job.
  • The bilge is dry
  • I dont see any visible rot. I can see an area near the starboard transom that had been refilled and an area on near the base of the starboard windshield. The place is to fair those properly.

What I dont know:

• The transmission has a leak. I "think" that can just be uncoupled and the seal replaced.
  • The transmission has a lot of surface rust. I believe its a Borg Warner velvet drive. Im hopeful we can just wire it clean and repaint. Any tips appreciated.
  • I can see some crappy caulk jobs in the foredeck and can feel some moisture in the roof of the v-birth. That concerns me. Any tips appreciated.
  • The starboard v-birth port light also looks like it had rot around the trim at been filled.
  • How do I clean and rebuild the sliding windows? They have a lot of crud in the track and I couldnt move them.
  • Any tips on how you clean and rebel the 3 forward facing windows. Those look ok, no rot, but have years of gunk around the edges.
  • I know the transom is prone to issues. Anything to look for there?

Appreciate any tips to get us going in the right direction. If the survey checks out, I will put together some write-ups on the refit progress.

Hi! I’ve bought GB32-57 some twenty years ago in Florida and brought her to Europe. She was in very good condition but the paint and exterior varnish. Over the years I found out many repairs had been wrongly done or used wrong materials. More than ten years ago, I decided to refurbish her to mint condition. It became a bigger and bigger job as I digged deeper and deeper in long forgotten parts and every time it looked like I could see and end to my work, it just appeared a new structural problem. I’ve kept working on her, not sailing and still it’s difficult to see a near end, although all the structural problems have been fixed. (Two of the big ones could have had a beautifully restored woodie under water with no time to even think about the cause!).
I was thinking on buying another 32 on the PNW and keep her there as a summer boat. I found out what many have said; even with a beautiful well cared for expensive woodie, there are insurance and mooring problems, so I have shelved my idea for a while, (also, COVID hasn’t helped traveling to find the right boat). One of my jobs is surveying boats. Even the best surveyor could not estimate the cost of restoring a woodie, (I’m talking as a surveyor and shipwright who surveyed and fixed a good cared for woodie).
As someone recommended in this post, and from my own experience, if you’re committed to a GB woodie, I’d go for the best you can find and still would be cheaper than completely refitting a “wreck”.
(I saw this boat on yachtworld when I was looking for my PNW project. I discarded her straight away, only from the pictures shown!).
Also, as GB woodie lover, I know what you might have seen on the 32. You’ll never get back what it costs you but you’ll sure enjoy owning one.
Good luck!

P.S.: Please, feel free to contact me should you need any advise on the refitting project. I’ll be happy to share my experiences.

Onofre, I am "next door" to you in Menorca. I also have a GB woodie and would like to hear about your experiences. I find that obtaining materials here in Europe is not as easy as in the US and now that the UK has left us, even harder.

Maybe you can start a new thread on your restoration (with lots of pictures :D).

Onofre, I am "next door" to you in Menorca. I also have a GB woodie and would like to hear about your experiences. I find that obtaining materials here in Europe is not as easy as in the US and now that the UK has left us, even harder.

Maybe you can start a new thread on your restoration (with lots of pictures :D).

Hi! Happy to hear from you! Are you restoring yours? What size is she? Where are you based in Menorca?
Yes, I have a zillion pictures. I guess after I finish restoring her I’ll classify them, (while at anchor in some secluded cove, maybe Trebeluger), and start a long thread. So far I’m happy to share information with rebuilders.

That is too kind! My two open engine questions right now are:

1) How much smoke at startup is normal smoke. I see some white smoke and a little diesel in the water after startup. But I typically only start it every 1-2 weeks while we are in the midst of restoring it. Im wondering if thats just normal Lehman.

2) We took the boat over to the yard yesterday to get a bottom job and I when in gear at idle speed the whole boat rattles and clanks. Just a bit more throttle it smooths out. Is that just natural resonance?

Hi! I’ve bought GB32-57 some twenty years ago in Florida and brought her to Europe. She was in very good condition but the paint and exterior varnish. Over the years I found out many repairs had been wrongly done or used wrong materials. More than ten years ago, I decided to refurbish her to mint condition. It became a bigger and bigger job as I digged deeper and deeper in long forgotten parts and every time it looked like I could see and end to my work, it just appeared a new structural problem. I’ve kept working on her, not sailing and still it’s difficult to see a near end, although all the structural problems have been fixed. (Two of the big ones could have had a beautifully restored woodie under water with no time to even think about the cause!).
I was thinking on buying another 32 on the PNW and keep her there as a summer boat. I found out what many have said; even with a beautiful well cared for expensive woodie, there are insurance and mooring problems, so I have shelved my idea for a while, (also, COVID hasn’t helped traveling to find the right boat). One of my jobs is surveying boats. Even the best surveyor could not estimate the cost of restoring a woodie, (I’m talking as a surveyor and shipwright who surveyed and fixed a good cared for woodie).
As someone recommended in this post, and from my own experience, if you’re committed to a GB woodie, I’d go for the best you can find and still would be cheaper than completely refitting a “wreck”.
(I saw this boat on yachtworld when I was looking for my PNW project. I discarded her straight away, only from the pictures shown!).
Also, as GB woodie lover, I know what you might have seen on the 32. You’ll never get back what it costs you but you’ll sure enjoy owning one.
Good luck!

P.S.: Please, feel free to contact me should you need any advise on the refitting project. I’ll be happy to share my experiences.

Thanks so much! Yea the pictures on this boat were terrible, and it looked even worse in person :) But luckily its a good hull, great engine, just a LOT of stripping and sanding. We got it for a price that gave us a lot of room to invest in making a nice little boat without breaking the bank...as long as we were comfortable with a LOT of work.

Quick update: things were a little slower last week as I was on vacation but...

- We got the flybridge seats rebuilt and repainted. We still need to sand and paint new non-skid, paint the inside of the seats and inside of the console. Im not looking forward to getting my 6'2" body inside there to clean and paint it...

- We patched up the old hole in the console where the gauge cluster went. Installed a navpod instead. Looking slick. I cant decide if im going to keep the old gauges and mount them on the front of the console (vertically) or just get rid of them and use an EMU1 for digital engine data.

- Got the paint on the bowsprit stripped back to teak for the first time in probably 15+ years and looks awesome.

- We got a coat of sealer on all the teak. Just with that it looks great.

- We did the first spot of deck sanding. Wow I think they will clean up great.

- We brought the boat over to KKMI yesterday for a bottom job, new boot stripe, new transducer, new deck molding, and some electrical. (I found a short the hard way...by electrocuting myself :). It was fun to see everyone excited at KKMI. They saw the boat exactly 2 months ago during the survey and it was a hot mess.

Some pics below of the before / after. The cabinet

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9332.jpg
    IMG_9332.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8646.jpg
    IMG_8646.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.57.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.57.46 PM.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9710.jpg
    IMG_9710.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks Art. Im dreading stripping the paint off that wheel :)

I took the flying bridge wheel of my GB to a furniture stripper to get all the old varnish off. Then I spent a LOT of time detail sanding it. After a coat of CPES and another bit of sanding, I sprayed the new varnish coats on.

I took the flying bridge wheel of my GB to a furniture stripper to get all the old varnish off. Then I spent a LOT of time detail sanding it. After a coat of CPES and another bit of sanding, I sprayed the new varnish coats on.
Furniture stripper businesses usually use a caustic dip tank, I`ve seen furniture with a flaky white bloom and loose joints after dipping. But sanding all the varnish off a wheel would be an awful job.
I recently had to revarnish the moulding around the windows in the aft cockpit doors. Glass one side of the wood, "teak" laminate on the doors the other. Had to hand sand the old varnish off, incl the 4 round corners. Even masking both glass and laminate,a difficult and boring job. But,it looks good with fresh varnish!

Furniture stripper businesses usually use a caustic dip tank, I`ve seen furniture with a flaky white bloom and loose joints after dipping. But sanding all the varnish off a wheel would be an awful job.
I recently had to revarnish the moulding around the windows in the aft cockpit doors. Glass one side of the wood, "teak" laminate on the doors the other. Had to hand sand the old varnish off, incl the 4 round corners. Even masking both glass and laminate,a difficult and boring job. But,it looks good with fresh varnish!

Yup, they dipped that varnish-encrusted teak wheel in their caustic solution, and then they dipped it again. No ill effects, and the wheel looked new when I was done with it rather than the blemished look of a wheel that someone attempted to sand the varnish from.

Quick update

- New bottom paint looking great.
- Bootstripe goes on next week
- New b60 transducer installed
- New teak molding for the deck/cabin joint was milled
- Did a test sanding of the decks and I think they are going to clean up nicely.
- Got some new bronze rubrail for the spray rail. One side was broken and luckily the yard had some.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 63616440112__7AA14EE3-6C48-405B-A361-04A9E2BC615D.jpg
    63616440112__7AA14EE3-6C48-405B-A361-04A9E2BC615D.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
TheBruce, you've done more work on your boat in a few weeks than I've managed in a few years. Well done, she is looking great!

TheBruce, you've done more work on your boat in a few weeks than I've managed in a few years. Well done, she is looking great!

Thanks @xlantic :) Its coming together.

Bruce, still following. Great work and great encouragement for others. Bring back those wooden boats.

The Barbary Ghost GB32 Hull #293 - Update #12

Still at the yard waiting for some bronze rub rail. Hopefully back in the water in a few more days.

- Bottom job is done.
- New red boot stripe is on. Looks awesome.
- New B60 transducer installed.
- The yard milled new deck molding. That will get installed next week.
- We did a test sanding of the decks. They look good under years of neglect.
- I fixed the 4 bad bungs, and resulting rot in the foredeck. I had the yard put a small dutchman in the biggest hole. That was over my pay grade. If you read one of my early posts, the prior owner put some silicon gunk on a couple missing bungs in the foredeck. This caused moisture to get trapped and rot around each fastener and into the deck beam. Luckily that was still solid. I had removed the fasteners a few weeks ago to let it dry out. Then drilled out larger holes, dug the rot out, filled with CPEP, then with epoxy, drilled out large 1/2" bungs and replugged. I was particularly proud of this fix. I learned...its just wood.
- I ground the years of paint off the bronze bow rubrail. The little details are rewarding.
- I sanded the teak swim platform. I dont think that had been done in 20 years.
- I did another round of rust remediation, this time with the angle grinder and a stripper disk. Works great. I ground down the rudder mount and shaft brace and treated with ospho. - The yard suggested painting with Interlux 2000. I need to do the same for the engine mount stringer brackets.
- I got filthy sanding the bilge and removing old jenky fittings and crap. That was brutal but oddly satisfying. This was the first step of the bilge repainting project. Its going to suck and nobody will see it but me, but OCD calls.
- I continued getting filthy and sanded and cleaning the inside of the flybridge seats and console. Those will get painted soon and then I will start cleaning up the wiring in the console.
- I got the Barbary Ghost mermaid repainted. Everyone on the dock keeps asking when the mermaid will go back up.

Attachments

• IMG_0324 2.jpg
    IMG_0324 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0327 2.jpg
    IMG_0327 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0382 2.jpg
    IMG_0382 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0265 2.jpg
    IMG_0265 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0300 2.jpg
    IMG_0300 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0284 2.jpg
    IMG_0284 2.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0335 2.jpg
    IMG_0335 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0341 2.jpg
    IMG_0341 2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0377 2.jpg
    IMG_0377 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 15
She's a proud looking gal. You guys are no longer engaged... your married now!

You and family will be rewarded for taking such care of your "new" boatie-wife!

Sorry for not updating on the Barbary Ghost project. I've been posting progress updates in the GB Facebook group but wanted to check back in, as this is where it all began :)

In short, it's coming together great. Progress is a bit slower only because we have been using it too much.

Latest projects:

- decks sanded and bleached
- stainless stripped of...black spray paint :banghead:
- bronze rubrail and hawseholes stripped of 20 years of paint
- exterior brightwork finished
- cabin stripped, sanded, painted and varnished.
- 30 years of bad ideas were ripped out of the electrical system and new panels and wiring installed. picked up an engine data digital converter and went all digital for gauges. it was cheaper and simpler than fixing the analog gauges.
- v berth stripped and repainted
- all new cushions and foam. we were getting crazy quotes (more than we paid for the boat :) so ended up cutting the foam ourselves, sourcing the sunbrella, and then just having somebody sew the cushions. hard job but cost 1/3rd.
- new teak deck joint milled and rebed

In progress and upcoming:

- head stripped and repainted. (in progress)
- window frames re-fared :banghead:. I should have just replaced all the frames when I removed the windows. (in progress)
- deck caulking, and replacing bungs

At this point we know every inch of the BG and its as good as a new GB.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
In short, it's coming together great. Progress is a bit slower only because we have been using it too much.

Best reason :)

The cushions are so classic with the navy/white piping.:flowers:

30 years of bad ideas were ripped out of the electrical system

Ha ha, classic description :D

picked up an engine data digital converter and went all digital for gauges.

I see the photo of the converter, but can you say a bit more about it? Brand/model, and how much of a degree in "building your own computer" you needed to get it running?

Beautiful restoration!! Simply Beautiful!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom