24 Hour GPS Vessel Tracking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Thinking about getting vessel tracking. What device and or service do you have that you are happy with?
Appreciate the input.

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but have you checked out Marinetraffic.com?

I assume as above AIS. Are you talking about a free app? Or are you referring to installing a "receive only" unit? Or are you talking about sending and receiving AIS information.

Marine Traffic mentioned above is a good free app. A number in British Columbia who are non-boaters will use it to track our BC Ferries to figure out when the ferry they are waiting for is going to arrive. Note: there can be lags in receiving the data.

We can track our boat with 4 independent different systems. The first 3 are real-time over different cellular networks, and the 4th is delayed via VHF and land based stations.

1. SirenMarine
2. Victron VRM Portal
3. NEBO Global Vessel Logging
4. Marine Traffic (Delayed via AIS)

All of them work exceptionally well!

The first 3 are on 24/7, fused directly to battery buses. They are also scattered around the boat so a thief would need to go looking for them and start clipping wires in the looomed harnesses.

I guess I just gave someone a starting point to boost our boat, o well..... lol

Last edited:
Sorry for not being clear. I’m looking for a system that tracks your vessel when it is stolen and the thieves are smart enough not to turn on the electronics.

Is theft of “high” speed trawlers a problem? At the dock we leave our boat unlocked with the keys in the ignition switches. When we travel we do lock the boat. But at 10 mph they aren’t going to get very far with it.

Sorry for not being clear. I’m looking for a system that tracks your vessel when it is stolen and the thieves are smart enough not to turn on the electronics.

I'm currently adding a Siren Marine system. Looked to be the best component quality of the 6 or 7 I looked at. One nice feature is the remote engine shutdown from your smartphone, at a time and place of your choosing. Hope I never need to use it, but I'm sure it will piss the perpetrators off. Siren Marine probably isn't aware of this feature, but I figured out how to do it. :devil:

Ted

So the pissed thief opens a seacock and watches as it goes down!!

So the pissed thief opens a seacock and watches as it goes down!!

I only have one and it's already open.

Actually, I was planning on letting a law enforcement boat get close and then shutting the engine down.

Ted

Must be something out there, you can purchase trackers for dogs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom