New to TF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maggiecat1003

Veteran Member
Hello, we are new to the forum and new boat owners as of Sep 2020. She largely sat at the dock at the end of last season, except for the trip over and three trips and some short lessons with a licensed captain as I am not ready yet. We made it through the boat buying process successfully and largely on our own by looking, looking, looking and reading a lot to include this forum. The whole boat buying thing is a big story in itself that occurred last summer. We are East Coast based on the LI Sound. A lot to learn but looking forward to having fun safely and respectfully on the beautiful waters around here. A long history and some interesting background to how we finally own a boat! Most of all we are happy and excited. I am certain I will be asking for advice and information in the future. Charles

She is a 1982 Sea Ray Sedan Trawler 355. Not a real trawler I know but will get us started. The rear cabin doors are a custom modification by the previous owner who was the second owner. Last owner had her for 27 years. She seems in pretty good shape for the age but this will be a big overhaul before she goes back into the water this spring. After inspection and some work by our Captain she easily made the 90 mile trip around from the south shore of LI to the LI Sound.

Attached is a picture or the three ladies in my life. Fortunately Lady #1 is on board fully for lady #3 which we recently acquired!! Sorry I do not have a picture of the full boat to upload.

Attachments

• Three Ladies1.jpg
    Three Ladies1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 37
Welcome to TF, and big congratulations on your new boat and journey. You've already mastered the skill of sterning in so you are well on your way!

Last edited:
Welcome to TF and good job joining the Sea Ray family. Mine isn't a trawler either, but these guys and gals on here have been kind enough to let me stay and soak up their knowledge.

Welcome and congrats on your 3 attractive ladies. What is your previous boating experience? Where do you plan to keep the boat. I am also in CT and keep our boat on the Housatonic river in Stratford. Best of luck in the upcoming season.

You will love having some speed available and your credit card company will love you.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Have fun with all the work...

Welcome and congrats on your 3 attractive ladies. What is your previous boating experience? Where do you plan to keep the boat. I am also in CT and keep our boat on the Housatonic river in Stratford. Best of luck in the upcoming season.
We are actually nearby you somewhere. We are docked at the Brewer Safe Harbor Marina. Beautiful place to keep a boat. Some reasonable experience but a long time ago. Worked on and ran a 32 foot single screw wooden crabbing boat on the Chesapeake for two summers in college. Grew up on the water in small boats with my grandfather who lived on Tilghman Island MD. Mostly all experience, near shore boating. Never been around a fiberglass boat so a lot to learn in that respect. I am sure we have seen or will see your boat!

We are actually nearby you somewhere. We are docked at the Brewer Safe Harbor Marina. Beautiful place to keep a boat. Some reasonable experience but a long time ago. Worked on and ran a 32 foot single screw wooden crabbing boat on the Chesapeake for two summers in college. Grew up on the water in small boats with my grandfather who lived on Tilghman Island MD. Mostly all experience, near shore boating. Never been around a fiberglass boat so a lot to learn in that respect. I am sure we have seen or will see your boat!

If you are at Brewer's in Stratford, we are literally right next door at Pootatuck Yacht Club. My boat faces the northernmost slips at Brewer's. If you are interested in joining the club ( read: saving some money) or have any other questions about boating in the area, feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom