• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Northern lights 5 kw parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I sell this for parts or whole?

• Parts

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whole

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
I've got a low hours, non running 5kw northern lights. It's in my office and I'm leaving for 5 weeks on Thursday. When I get back, do you want to buy a part, or the whole thing? I'd love to sell it whole to somebody mechanically inclined, but if there's only interest in parts, then parts it is.

Here's what I can tell you: I put new rings in it and it still has low compression in #3. #2 cyl isn't great, but if 3 was the same, it would be running. The fuel pump is pumping, it's got new injectors ( and a set of old ones). The head was recently machined by a well regarded local shop (Simplex).

The head is still off of it. I painted a bunch of the bits while I had it apart and she looks pretty good. If I had a shop to lay it all out in, I'd be doing it myself. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze for me though. In the end, it's more electricity (and weight) than we need. Even if I got it running, I'd flip it for one of the 3.5kw generators out there.

Last edited:
I've got one vote for parting it out.

Anyone else? Anyone want the whole thing???

I have a good running 5kw northern lights with a dead electrical end. We should get them together.

Sound enclosure?

"Parts" it is!

Let me know what you want, I'll put it aside for you. I'll get a parts list up when I get back. Should be around the end of March.

Cheers
Gabe

Ok, I'm back on dry land!

The oil pan and mounts are going out the door this week. Otherwise, I've got just about everything. Make an offer on whatever you need. Here are a couple quick photos I took. Local pickup preferred, but not required

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_100819964.jpg
    IMG_20210329_100819964.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210329_100841860.jpg
    IMG_20210329_100841860.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210329_100647460.jpg
    IMG_20210329_100647460.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210329_100554316.jpg
    IMG_20210329_100554316.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
I've got, in good condition (OK, some might need paint)

- Fw pump
- Raw water pump
- 3 old injectors(need servicing)
- 3 NEW injectors (about 20 mins run time)
- Stop solenoid
- Belt cover
- glow plugs (3)
- oil pan
- fuel pump ("Lift" pump)
- high pressure fuel pump
- Little tiny alternator
- Fuel filter mount
- Heat exchanger/ exhaust manifold
- Head with low hours (<5) since machining!
- Block (spare anchor?)
- Pistons with new rings (20 mins run time)

I'm calling the generator end "scrap" but I'm not positive. If you want a crack at it, it's all yours for $20 (+shipping). Other prices to follow, but feel free to make an offer in the meantime!

OK, updated list, with product numbers and pricing! Feel free to make an offer or ask about anything you dont see.

Starter motor 185086321 $180 (New: $294)

Oil Pan 110706770 $100 (New: $166)

Head Assembly 111016951 $1,000 (New $1600)

Thermostat 145206062 $15 (New: $23)

Exhaust manifold, with tubestack "HX element", and rubber bits 135606160, 20-12003 and others $1,000 (New, over $2,000)

Raw water pump 25-12007 $300 (new: $427)

Coolant pump 145016860 $180 (New: $251)

Alternator 185046210 $200 (New: $349)

Injection pump 131017390 $700 (New:$1,036)

Injectors (3 with less than 1 hour of run time) 131406350 $300 for all three (New: $444)

Injectors (3 old ones needing rebuild) $50 for all three

Fuel feed pump 130506140 $100 (New:$187)

Fuel Filter Assy 130306190 $60 (New $120)

Belt Guard 00-18301 $30 (New: $78)

Series 1 panel 22-92110 $230 (New $363)

Series 1B panel 22-92120 $200 (New $307).

Come and get it! If you need a photo of a specific item, just ask. In good faith: I believe all items work (except the old injectors), but I make no guarantees/ warrantees.

-Gabe

BUMP!

New pricing: 10% off everything!

Bump! Oil pan and belt guard are also sold!

Pricing is now 20% off of post #11 amounts. Or best offer....

I don’t get it, Gabe. I’m in need of a Lugger engine for a 5KW but your comments regarding the low compression AFTER installing new rings and a freshly machined head have me scratching my head. My engine is locked up but my windings are new. I was hoping to find what I needed to replace the Lugger but it sounds like I’d be just trading my problems for a fresh set of others.

I hear that for you this just ain’t worth the trouble, but a set of honed cylinders with new (proper) rings and a freshened up head should have given you some pretty good cylinder pressure with a little oil on the cylinder walls. I’m puzzled.

Still might buy some of the other stuff though. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I know. I needed to dive in with both feet and I just didn't get quite deep enough. I needed to bore the cylinders, instead of trying to hone them but I didn't want to deal with the timing so I honed them while the crank was still in by removing the oil pan to get the pistons out.

It had low compression on #3 and the #2 had less than perfect compression. It was just from sitting and salt air, the top of the cylinders are a little wider. Not much, but just enough.

If you know a machinist and are willing to deal with the timing, this might get you there. I've still got the head, and the block and pistons are still assembled. The oil pan is gone though and all of the electrical end.

What's up with yours? From one armchair mechanic to another, it sounds like you need to pull the head, spray some pb blaster on the cylinders, let it soak, and hope for a minor miracle?

Been soaking in diesel fuel while I’ve been in the NC mountains cooling off for a couple weeks. Just got back this evening to return a rental car so I’ll check to see if she broke loose tomorrow. Didn’t start it for two years but can’t figure how water got in. Raw water thru-hull was blocked, did’t crank it at all and have a good angle on exhaust with flap at the end. Duh!?

Huh. Maybe water sloshed backwards from the muffler?

After not using it for two years, do you really need it? That's what we're wrestling with right now.

Sure do. Shoot me a pm with your email or phone number.

Cheers
Gabe

Ok, I'm sick of looking at all these bits on the shelf. Make me some offers, let's get this thing gone!

Gabe, can you post pics of the two panels?

Thanks

Sure can!

Attachments

• 16314645855084978999380664454911.jpg
    16314645855084978999380664454911.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 16314646504533838349970163634110.jpg
    16314646504533838349970163634110.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
Do you have the wiring harness from the generator to the panel? Do those panels have the round 6 pin plug on the back?

Hi Grupet,
I think so. I'll check later today...

Gabe

Sorry for the delay, I just responded. I'll send you my phone number...

Gabe

What about crank pulley and nut? Still have it. I’m still trying to unlock mine and I’ve really put the some torque on that nut.

Sure do. I'll try to rip it off of there later today. If I dont get into a bind (HA!) I'll send it off to you. Send me a PM with your address.

-Gabe

Gabe: I finally got the head off mine (10 hours) and am getting a look at other things I might need to collect for spares. Send me a PM of your list when you get a chance. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom