Thread: Necesario?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #36
mvweebles
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Much (all?) of coastal Mexico is a tourist zone. There's an interesting career path in Mexico. Young people find their way to the US and work as dishwashers or other menial jobs in restaurants. They learn enough English that when they relocate to a coastal Mexican town, they are highly employable at tourist-oriented eateries with decent salaries.

Stay flexible and you will have no problems. If you need to visit a specialty store, it may not go as expected - paint (pintura) and hardware (ferreteria) stores rarely have English speakers so it can be a challenge.

With exception of aforementioned Pemex Station green-suit-grifers, I do not recall being short-changed by a merchant or cashier despite my obvious language disability and difficulty recognizing the coins (in all fairness, I have the same problem when traveling in the UK or Europe)

I find Mexico a very comfortable place to travel despite my language barrier. Drug crime and corruption are a problem but a different matter. I have been consistently surprised at how gracious Mexicans are to tourists.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote