Has anybody seen my boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I sold Calypso, my Grand Banks 42 woodie, to a gentleman in the Houston/Galveston area in 2015, and we stayed in pretty regular contact over the intervening years until late 2020 when illness reduced his health. I know he was trying to sell the boat and that it was moored in the Galveston Yacht Basin. I do not know the owner's health status as he no longer responds to calls; I fear the worst.

Have you reached out to the marina? They'd know if the boat is still there and might have news about the owner. Or could at least forward your inquiry to them.

Do an obituary search under his name in that area.

Don

Obit search yielded nada. I will check the marina, thanks, Bill.

Don't know about your boat, but I feel your pain. Last fall I found a sailboat on Yachtworld that I sold to a Canadian 15 years earlier. Still had the same name on the transom. I've been kicking myself ever since I sold her and would love to have her back. As I'm trying to figure out how to buy and import the boat with Covid restrictions, some one else bought her. Actually not being able to get that boat contributed to me being here with a motoryacht. Going to power was Plan B.

I know for certain that I would not want to revert to ownership of my old boat, but I would like to contribute the tremendous store of knowledge and expertise I have in it because I know for a fact that the person I sold it to never consulted gigabytes of information I supplied him - he just called me. I am afraid that the data may not have passed on to new ownership. My quest is truly altruistic.

I found the original owner of my boat (well he found me )on a facebook group.
I read the post about an hour after he posted it.

Have you tried the regular internet stalker stuff paper trails, foreclosures, public notices, Facebook of possible relatives, cold calling same name etc. take an ad out seen that done with success in the past. Craigslist it’s free. I recently was looking for my boat I knew where one was it left the market so I ran ads looking for one and low and behold they called me back. Sometimes word gets to the people who inherit stuff that it’s desired and they might call. Good luck I feel your pain having looked to get my first Harley back before

One hopes that any new owner of a 42-foot trawler would have the good sense to join up with groups like this, and I heavily suggested that course of action to the fellow I sold the boat to, which he ignored. Why bother? he must have figured, he had me on the other end of a phone call. :) For a long time, it was a rare week that did not go by without a call from him, and I enjoyed helping.

I saw a 42 for sale recently (now I'm wracking my brain to remember where - CL maybe? I think it was a by-owner sale).

It was a 1972 (or possibly '71), twin Lehmans, and a full suit of bright blue (maybe Pacific Blue Sunbrella) canvas. I think it was on the Texas Coast? At the time I read the ad I wondered if it was your former boat.

I'll see if I can find it again, and if so I'll post back.

EDIT: Okay, here we go, is this it -- "Calypso"

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1972-grand-banks-42-classic-7683082/

Attachments

• Calypso.jpg
    Calypso.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thereyahgo Rich. How's that for service..? :thumb: for TF members, and Frosty in particular gets a virtual gong..! :D

They used to give you owner's name and address as well as boat dimensions.

Well, they still do except for owner info.

Link to PSIX Main Page Skip Navigation Links
SEARCH PSIX
FEATURED LINKS
WEB ACCESSIBILITY POLICY
FOIA REQUESTS
CONTACT US
Skip Navigation
Results for Vessel: CARQUINEZ COOT
Vessel Information: Vessel Particulars:
Vessel Name: CARQUINEZ COOT
Primary Vessel Number: 1229510 (Official Number (U.S.))
Hull Identification Number: N/A
Manufacturer Hull Number: XSH3506CL010
IMO Number: N/A
Vessel Flag: UNITED STATES
Vessel Call Sign: N/A Service: Recreational
Length: 35.80 ft
Breadth: 12.30 ft
Depth: 5.20 ft
Build Year: 2010
Alternate VINs: N/A
Service Information: Tonnage Information:
Service Status: Active
Out Of Service Date: N/A
Last Removed From Service By: N/A Cargo Authority: N/A
Tonnage:
15 - Simplified, Gross Ton
12 - Simplified, Net Ton
Vessel Documents and Certifications
Document Agency Date Issued Expiration Date
CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION USCG September 24,2020 October 31,2021
Summary of Coast Guard Contacts
To View Contact Data From:
02/22/2016
Click here to view the calendar To:
02/22/2021
Click here to view the calendar (MM/DD/YYYY)
Last Update:

Last edited:
And if it was documented you can search on the USCG database for it by the documentation ID or the hull number.

Although they no longer give any owner name or boat location info. (I actually like this as an owner because it felt like a huge privacy leak; not so nice if you are the one doing the sleuthing tho.)

About the only way you can sometimes get a sliver of location info is if there is a "contact" by the CG, which they will list (just gives general location and date; no name).

Unless I've missed some expand-a-data box or something?

Thereyahgo Rich. How's that for service..? :thumb: for TF members, and Frosty in particular gets a virtual gong..! :D

Ya just can't beat that service with a stick! Thanks, Frosty. I for some reason looked earlier and missed it. I see the price is coming down.

Attachments

• Dinghy rack uninstalled.jpg
    Dinghy rack uninstalled.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Dinghy rack from stb qtr (FILEminimizer).JPG
    Dinghy rack from stb qtr (FILEminimizer).JPG
    144 KB · Views: 30
What was the point of raising it like that? Keeping visibility through the aft window? I'd have been more concerned about the raised weight of it affecting stability.

What was the point of raising it like that? Keeping visibility through the aft window? I'd have been more concerned about the raised weight of it affecting stability.

That was only 200 pounds raised 23 inches. No big deal on a 40,000 pound boat.

Major reason to raise was visibility aft since I always drove that boat from the lower station.

Other reasons:
Place to store bikes on a floor pad under there - didn't inhibit viz much at all.

Faster deployment of dink. All I had to do was raise the dink a couple of inches before swinging it outboad to then ease off on the topping lift in order to clear the rail. Then it was straight down. It did not take a lot of extra hoisting on the lifting tackle to get it aboard and into the raised cradle because I always brought it in high as a result of hoisting it to the rail with the boom extended a lot with the topping lift.

Without bikes aboard, it was a great place to get comfy on a pad out of the sun on a nice day.

There are others, but you get the idea of the superiority of my design.

BTW, the pattern was made out of PVC using a heat gun to bend it and then test fit with the dink's weight mostly taken by the lifting tackle. During the test fit, the PVC legs were cut to the right length and angle. Then it was off the the welding shop to get it done in aluminum before powder coating.

Thanks for posting the pics and additional info on the dinghy cradle. I think it looks really smart and solves some of the "issues" that came to mind for me on the 36 (or 42). Visibility aft from lower helm, and settee window basically looking out into a "wall of dinghy." (Obvs given that the weight works out favorably for a given boat.)

Can you elaborate a bit on how that forward bracket attached to the boat? In the photo it looks like it's angled but then how would that surface attach to the "perpendicular" surface of the boat? Another bracket? Or?

Rich, the current owner's advert refers to total hp as 120, indicating that your Calypso is / was a single. Can't confirm from the photos but, if so, that would make it a bit of a unicorn. I have long been on the lookout for a GB 42 with a single. Not that I want a wooden boat, mind - but still, it's quite interesting.

Thanks for posting the pics and additional info on the dinghy cradle. I think it looks really smart and solves some of the "issues" that came to mind for me on the 36 (or 42). Visibility aft from lower helm, and settee window basically looking out into a "wall of dinghy." (Obvs given that the weight works out favorably for a given boat.)

Can you elaborate a bit on how that forward bracket attached to the boat? In the photo it looks like it's angled but then how would that surface attach to the "perpendicular" surface of the boat? Another bracket? Or?

The welder came up with a vee-shaped arrangement at the forward end. From the pointy end he welded on vertical rectangular aluminum plate onto the underside of the rack's two side tubes. They extended maybe six inches aft, and he added in a vee-shaped plate at their bottom sides as a "floor." This raised the forward end a bit for better rainwater drainage out the dink's transom drain and gave me a plate to drill a hole through where it rested on the flying bridge deck overhang. I put a 3/4" stainless steel bolt through the whole works and snugged it up tight calling it GOOD.

Rich, the current owner's advert refers to total hp as 120, indicating that your Calypso is / was a single. Can't confirm from the photos but, if so, that would make it a bit of a unicorn. I have long been on the lookout for a GB 42 with a single. Not that I want a wooden boat, mind - but still, it's quite interesting.

I saw a single 42 with a John Deere in San Diego in 1988, but Calypso's total HP is 240, twin Lehman 120s.

I know how y'all feel, at least a little bit. I see my old boat all the time, I sold it to a very nice man who I really like. He had been through some health issues at the time of the sale. The boat has really deteriorated in the last year or so, which is sad to see, but I mainly worry about the owner.

Or, maybe only one still running, the reason for the sale. Rich, How do you see the selling price.

No, I am sure they are both running - just a mistaken entry. I see the selling price as excellent for a young and energetic dreamer to get into a pretty dependable boat relatively cheaply, hopefully with enough cash to maintain it. This boat would not be a money pit because I doubt the current owner would/could have hurt it that badly in five years from the outstanding condition I had it in. He in fact called frequently for advice on new projects. While I did not agree with his covering the teak decks, I did agree with how he went about it

The sad thing about boats like this is that the insurance industry will kill them off sooner or later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom