Hello from Sweden!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mats M

Vessel Name
Mayzan
Vessel Make
Marine trader 40 -75 ocean marine build
Hi there!
Im restarting my existence on the forum as its time for some maintenance and I started to look around.
I am a happy owner of a Marine trader 40 -76 in better shape than people would expect.
I have some larger work to do on the engine like changing the rear seal of the gearbox and while doing that im also planning to swap the damper plate as the engine is at 2000 hours.
It would be great to get into contact with someone that has done this or knowns more in general on what to expect.
10 years ago when I bought and put the boat i to shape, i had contact with bob smith at american diesel. It showed out that my boat was one of his old boats with a special generator setup. At that timeand he sent me a whole set of parts. i dont know if bob is still around though.
Would be nice to have someone to chat with
/Mats

Bob has sadly passed, but his son Brian and company still run American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA. They are ever helpful.

Assuming you have the usual Borg-Warner transmission, there is plenty of expertise there and here on TF to give tips like using long bolts with the heads cut off in the top holes of the tranny to help slide it aft once all the other bolts are removed.

Hejsan!
sorry I can't help with your question but fun to dust off my limited Swedish. I used to work for a company out of Iggesund and traveled there several times from the US. Stayed mostly in Hudiksval. Spent some time in your city also. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Anyway, good luck with your project

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Rear seal on the gearbox is pretty simple. Split the shaft flange, and slide shaft aft. Take off BIG nut, (45mm?). Remove transmission flange. Pry out seal. Tap in new seal. Put nut back on with some sort of sealant (oil proof). IF I had to do it again, I would take a piece of flat steel and bolt it to the flange that is still on the transmission. It's difficult to keep the flange steady while you are taking off and putting on that BIG nut.

Damper plate? I think there are several threads dealing with that.

I replaced the port damper plate last year and am doing the starboard one this year. I had the engine pulled out and sitting on the salon deck so it was very easy. I could not slide the prop shaft aft to get any clearance to slide the transmission back. But since I was pulling the engine out it was easy when it was up on the deck. Good luck with yours.

Hi there!
Im restarting my existence on the forum as its time for some maintenance and I started to look around.
I am a happy owner of a Marine trader 40 -76 in better shape than people would expect.
I have some larger work to do on the engine like changing the rear seal of the gearbox and while doing that im also planning to swap the damper plate as the engine is at 2000 hours.
It would be great to get into contact with someone that has done this or knowns more in general on what to expect.
10 years ago when I bought and put the boat i to shape, i had contact with bob smith at american diesel. It showed out that my boat was one of his old boats with a special generator setup. At that timeand he sent me a whole set of parts. i dont know if bob is still around though.
Would be nice to have someone to chat with
/Mats

Hi and welcome

Is your engine Watermota marinized ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom