Envelope Icons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friz

Vessel Name
Chez Reagan
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
Looking for an explanation of the "Envelope" icons to the left of the thread title. Also, why are some thread titles in bold face and others not?

Thanks

I will find the answer to this interesting. I've been participating in TF for over a year now and, until your question, Friz, I had never even noticed that there are number of different ways the envelope displays: open, closed, orange, yellow, with arrow, without arrow. I played around a bit and they do not seem to behave intuitively...except, perhaps, for the one with a reply arrow.

Edited to add:

Okay, I'm an idiot! Of course there are obvious envelope icons to the left (circled in green) and I'm sure now that's what you were talking about. When I first read this though, I looked at what I always thought of as blue arrows (circled in purple), and realized, hmm, those could be read as "envelopes," so I described what they do. Geez, sorry, that was dumb of me. How embarrassing.

I will leave the part below as is, because maybe someone is wondering about the blue "arrows" too.

I always saw them as arrows - now I may see them as envelopes :) But anyway, for me if I click on it it takes me directly to the first post in the thread that I haven't read. In other words, it pops me into the thread right where I last left off reading. So I use them all the time.

Bold print in the title means there is something in the thread (whole thing or even one post) that I have not read. Like this thread was bold when I clicked on it, but if I go back out now it won't be bold because I just read it. (But if someone posts a reply after me, it will be bold again until I read that new part.)

I think the color of the envelopes might have to do with how "hot" a thread is (how many replies, etc.). I haven't seen that they do anything else (do they?). Now I'm just as curious as you are.

Attachments

• envelopes.jpg
    envelopes.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Well, there yah go - you worked it all out. :)

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see the key:

Attachments

• Envelope_key.jpg
    Envelope_key.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Shipmates. I believe I am in "the know". Now, what makes a "hot" thread. Is it something I should aspire to? Tongue in cheek.

You may also see from time to time an envelope with an arrow that signifies the thread has been moved to another forum section that is mora appropriate.
The move notifications remain in place for varying times based on best judgement at the time.

Attachments

• thread_moved.gif
    thread_moved.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 57
If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see the key:

Hi Shrew,

"Scroll all the way to the bottom" where? On any particular page? I've been doing a lot of clicking & scrolling around on many different pages and can't seem to find this legend. Quite probably I missed it. Or, could it have to do with the browser being used? I'm using Firefox 85.0.2 64 bit.

Hi Shrew,
"Scroll all the way to the bottom" where? On any particular page? I've been doing a lot of clicking & scrolling around on many different pages and can't seem to find this legend. Quite probably I missed it. Or, could it have to do with the browser being used? I'm using Firefox 85.0.2 64 bit.
He's right. I can't see them either, and I'm a moderator - using Safari on MacBook Air. Where did you get those icons from Screw..?

Aha, wait. They are only listed at the bottom of a main topic screen, eg at the bottom of say Welcome Mat, under that header. They are not seen at the bottom of individual thread posts. Ok..?

Last edited:
Aha, wait. They are only listed at the bottom of a main topic screen, eg at the bottom of say Welcome Mat, under that header. They are not seen at the bottom of individual thread posts. Ok..?

Thanks, PeterB - I see them just where you described! Curious that this legend doesn't appear at the bottom of most pages...

He's right. I can't see them either, and I'm a moderator - using Safari on MacBook Air. Where did you get those icons from Screw..?

Yes, you won't see the legend/key on the main forum page. You will also not see legend/key inside of threads. You will see them on the page of each sub-forum.

Here's a hint. You will see legend/key of envelopes at the bottom of any page which shows the envelope icons. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom