View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #56
OldDan1943
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
AKDave,
LOL You are so very correct about stuffing everything into a 34ft boat. One can only put so much perfume on the pig or in this case, toys on the boat.

Your Webasto 3900 sounds like the perfect solution for you and others.
Your 1000 watt inverter would be a bit small for my 1200 watt microwave SMILE
Your boat sounds set up almost perfect for the PNW. I think you will see a great improvement once you add some solar panels. Your 420amp batteries could benefit from some solar panels.

Alas, I have 3X4D house batteries for about 600 amps meaning I might be able to squeeze out 300 amps plus 2X130 watt solar panels, a 40amp charger and 150 amp alternator on the main engine. An finally a 1800watt inverter that sucks the house batteries down quickly.

I am an 'east coast' boat so my 2 reverse cycle A/Cs do well and to back up or add to the 2 A/Cs, on a cold winter's night or morning in the Miami area, I have 2 installed electric resistance heater. Of course when I turn them on, there is nothing 'left' on shore power. When on shore power I have 30amps available for the house and the heaters suck it all up. LOL I have about mastered the "30amp dance" rotating the various loads as necessary.
If I go on the generator, it is rated for 50amps.

Did you replace the original stove with a 2 burner induction stove top? If you did, did you find a suitable replacement oven able to make bread or cookies. I assume you have a propane grill hanging off the stern too.

What I would like to see on boats are more well define wire ways so insulation could be added to the outer walls and overhead. With 'meaningful' insulation we could keep the heat in the boat or in my case, keep the heat out on those 90F+ days.