Choosing the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hipilot

We were ocean sailing cruisers for years. Now exploring trawlers for future adventures on the waters. Selecting the right boat. So many possibilities.
Steel or fiberglas, single engine or twin. compromises between best navigation features and comfortable accommodations. As we shop for our target vessel, we will be reading here about choices that others have made.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.

Yes, welcome to TF, and best of luck. Also, because I can, I have taken the liberty of correcting the wee typo in the title. :flowers:

Peter B. Please read: https://writingexplained.org/choose-vs-chose-difference.

I don't need more pettiness in my life and am leaving Trawler Forum now.
"I have taken the liberty of correcting the wee typo in the title."
Ok. Your choice, if you want to take bat and ball and go home, that's fine. I just thought I was doing you a small favour, as you left off a capital letter to start your title, and 'chose', as your link points out, is used in the 'past tense', and I thought you were yet to 'choose' your boat. I certainly did not do it for a petty reason. Just trying to be helpful is all...it's what we moderators try to do... :facepalm:

Last edited:
You may want to reconsider as he was trying to help you out. Then again you might not because...

Wow, serendipity: what I like best about this forum is the stuff I learn when I am not looking for anything. I subscribed for the boat talk and have stayed for the unexpected things I pick up.

Cliff

Yes, welcome to TF, and best of luck. Also, because I can, I have taken the liberty of correcting the wee typo in the title. :flowers:

No good deed / intention goes unpunished. :facepalm:

Feel free to correct me as needed. I appreciate your good intentions.

Ted

No loss.

If boating has become his passion I predict he will be back, maybe under a new name....lol.

I have been very active over the years at "dpreview," a photographer forum, probably one of the best on the net. This one guy, very knowledgeable would come on and invariably loose his cool over something and get booted off the forum. Three times he came back, each time under a different name. He just didn't know how to play in the sandbox with others, kind of like this guy. But on his fourth return, yet again under another new name, he was different. He must have had a Christmas Carol moment, the photography ghosts of Xmas past, present and future must have visited him. And he woke up the next day a changed man.

He became one of the most helpful pleasant fellows around - go figure!

I'm kind of amused by (and hardly immune from) the seemingly endless spelling and
grammatical errors seen online.
It's almost as though digital communication even with its convenient editing is still
too much trouble to be bothered with in many instances.

if "hipilot" wants to leave the forum, let him, or her. Of course I have no way of knowing if he has reinvented himself once or more times in the past to save face. But seeing as how he joined in Feb. of 2021 (maybe 10 or 15 days ago) and has posted a total of two times, one time being his resignation. I guess loosing him is no great loss.

pete

Peter B. Please read: https://writingexplained.org/choose-vs-chose-difference.

I don't need more pettiness in my life and am leaving Trawler Forum now.

"I have taken the liberty of correcting the wee typo in the title."
Pete
Too bad a new member doesn't take the time to understand that mods can sometimes be helpful and have good intentions.
If OP has an attitude problem it may be best.
I wonder if hipilot would like his account deleted?
Spell check does some funny things and we don't always catch & correct it in time.
I hope others realize sometimes Mods make some small edits and may not even make comments or PM about it... I have at least.

Having moderated a board in the past I'm well aware that it is often (not always) a thankless job.
Thank you all for your efforts.

To the OP, that's you HiPilot, I know you are reading these comments. The next time you ask a question here, be more specific in your boating interest, short cruises/long cruises, open ocean/coastal only, boating season only/off season, fair weather/rougher weather, shorter distances/longer distances. The more specific you can be the more help you well get.

If a member is easily troubled,finding out sooner is better than later. That said,I`d rather understand and help than pillory, but a forum like this is not the place.
PeterB is guilty of nothing more than being helpful. If the OP can reflect and see that, well and good but if thought processes exclude it, that`s a wrap.

Maybe to obtain some collective benefit from all this - and I hope the OP does return after due reflection - as he may well not have realised I was a moderator, and thought I was just being a smart Alec.

Anyway, the point is, the ability for ordinary members to edit their post is lost after 2 hours. However, we moderators can edit for you if that is the case. It must be annoying to put up a post, especially if it's a thread title, or boat price, eg. - get it wrong - and not be able to correct it.

So, message is it can be corrected.

Two ways...
1. by PMing one of us mods, or just reporting the post and making that request. We can then do it for you if a simple correction needed...

2. ...or if you wanted to do a more major edit, we can go in and restore your edit function, and advise you of that.

Hope this helps inform everyone re this issue..? :)

Last edited:
Hipilot....take a look at the Mainship 400. I say this because it is a very popular boat and I am about to put ours on the market. You can find lots of info about this great trawler on the web. if you would like more information about our trawler, you can send me a note.... kimdabe@yahoo.com.

Boat is in Fort Pierce Florida.

If he is that thin-skinned, he wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

PeterB: Please continue to edit my sometimes ridiculous (often humiliating) typos. Some people here actually believe that I can rite.

Ok. Your choice, if you want to take bat and ball and go home, that's fine. I just thought I was doing you a small favour, as you left off a capital letter to start your title, and 'chose', as your link points out, is used in the 'past tense', and I thought you were yet to 'choose' your boat. I certainly did not do it for a petty reason. Just trying to be helpful is all...it's what we moderators try to do... :facepalm:
I can see hipilot’s point. This discussion has become scarily close to that which might be found on FB, not on a friendly, boaters-helping-boaters forum. Good friends are hard to come by, don’t scare them away with petty changes to their posts. Also: what, or who, is a “moderator”?

Welcome aboard. GOOD LUCK!

I can see hipilot’s point. This discussion has become scarily close to that which might be found on FB, not on a friendly, boaters-helping-boaters forum. Good friends are hard to come by, don’t scare them away with petty changes to their posts. Also: what, or who, is a “moderator”?

Sometimes, someone trying to help, can be misinterpreted. Especially true when there is nothing but written text. You may think there was a tone or attitude that was not intended. I didn't see anything wrong or petty in what the moderator wrote.

I didn't see anything wrong or petty in what the moderator wrote.

I agree. From what I understand, the original title was "chose a boat." When I see that thread title, in the past tense, I naturally figure it's a thread showing me the person's new boat, that they already chose.

If the title is "Choosing a boat," (which is what the text of the post reflected), then I will figure the person wants some input on choosing a future boat (which is, in fact, what the OP wanted discussion on).

If it were me, and I made that (innocent) mistake (chose vs. Choosing), I would be happy to have it changed. I'm sure the mods did it to help the OP get input. In actual fact, if I were not happy with the change, I'm sure the mods would change it back upon request. How is this "censorship" or grounds for leaving in a huff? It's the same verb just in a different tense (which changed the meaning to what the body of the post was asking).

(Although the OP can certainly leave; it's not the Hotel California.)

Last edited:
Maybe to obtain some collective benefit from all this - and I hope the OP does return after due reflection - as he may well not have realised I was a moderator, and thought I was just being a smart Alec.

Anyway, the point is, the ability for ordinary members to edit their post is lost after 2 hours. However, we moderators can edit for you if that is the case. It must be annoying to put up a post, especially if it's a thread title, or boat price, eg. - get it wrong - and not be able to correct it.

So, message is it can be corrected.

Two ways...
1. by PMing one of us mods, or just reporting the post and making that request. We can then do it for you if a simple correction needed...

2. ...or if you wanted to do a more major edit, we can go in and restore your edit function, and advise you of that.

Hope this helps inform everyone re this issue..? :)

Yo - PeterB - Heck now that ya let me know that... I've got a post in 2011 I need to get edit access to! Naw... only kidding!! :rofl:

Just want to say that over the 10 year period I've been happy with TF... one of the happiest items is that the Mods are pretty darn cool! :thumb:

Keep on keepen on!! :speed boat:

Last edited:
Thanks Art. We do our best. These unprecedented times, :eek: :nonono: (ok, sorry for using that hackneyed word), has certainly upped the workload a bit. But we're coping. :)

No good deed / intention goes unpunished. :facepalm:

Feel free to correct me as needed. I appreciate your good intentions.

Ted
100% Concur any help with my typing will be greatly appreciated Great forum great folks.

First post - welcome aboard 'GreatLaker".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom