Just what is a Duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillippeterson

Hi, I'm trying to figure this out. Is a Duck a blueprint you buy then have it built wherever you find someone to do so?

A Diesel Duck is a family of passagemaker designs by George Buehler. He did not manufacture boats , just designed them. If “duck” has another meaning other than a what he called the designs, I am unaware.

Last edited:
Seahorse Marine, located in China, has cooperated with Mr. Buehler in building his DD designs early on, with steel hulls. Others have built them, even bckyard builders, which Buehler encouraged. So, it's important to know who built this Duck when shopping. Good Ducks have been built in Turkey, as well, and I would trust these yards.

There's many links re: DDs. Most people I'm aware of keep their Ducks for years. Seahorse Ducks 382 & 462 have great layouts w/ walk-in engine rooms and aft master staterooms. Just do a Google search.

Pickup "The Backyard Boatbuilder" by George Buehler. It was half practical boat builder, half middle-finger to the industry, eschewing them for complicated designs and equipment. George was more of a cruiser type who viewed a boat as a magic-carpet platform to whisk you away. In the book, he has many designs, mostly sailboats. All with unusual names. His 38-foot troller was named "Diesel Duck." Several were built via commission to boatyards all over, most in wood. At some point, a connection to Seahorse Marine in China was made. Seahorse had been building boats in steel for a while. The owners - Bill & Stella Kimley (members here who will hopefully chime-in), saw some potential in making it a production boat. The earliest boats were attractively priced, and they took-off.

Peter

"Diesel Duck" is a term coined by George Buehler for his power boats.

Anybody can build them, many are built as one-offs, and Seahorse Yachts are a commercial boat builder who commissioned George to provide the 462 and 382 (and 542?) designs for them to build there models exclusively. I think there may be a Turkish yard that has also built a few Ducks?

If “duck” has another meaning other than a what he called the designs, I am unaware.

I'm sorry but this just begging to be said.....
"Duck" might be used to refer to certain migratory water fowl. :hide:

"Duck Boats" also refers to the amphibious truck/boats that are tourist attractions in many cities, modeled after WW II army vehicles for landing on troops on a beach.

Attachments

• duckboat.jpg
    duckboat.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 20
I'm sorry but this just begging to be said.....
"Duck" might be used to refer to certain migratory water fowl. :hide:

"A what?"
"A duck"
"Does it quack?"
"Of course it quacks!"

"...want to buy a duck?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom