Registration Fees could increase in Cali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't mean to be too cra$$... however... time$ change; co$t$ go up. Covid-19 pandemic has put economic pr$$ure onto every level imaginable. Wait till $tock market$ face reality... Boy, $ay Howdy! :eek: :facepalm: :lol:

$70 for two year$ of regi$tration [$35 per year] on ve$$el$ valued from ten$ of thou$and$ to many ten$ of thou$and dollar$ is rally not all that bad.

Of cour$e I'd like to pay le$$ for everything, but, that'$ just a pipedream in 2021.

:dance:

Of course, if your boat is CG documented, registration in California will still be $0.

California has had a spending problem for at least 50 years. It's easy to spend someone else's money. Yachts are an easy target, only rich people have boats...

Apparently the CA government has a massive surplus of unspent money as a result of the pandemic. So claiming a budget deficit is a bit of a joke. CA government is swimming in cash.

Most recreational boaters who actually register their boats through the state also pay excessive fuel tax as they get their fuel at gas stations . Gas tax was just increased in CA. Remember, fuel tax purchased by at gas stations is supposed to go to boating needs, not highways. As of now only 15% of fuel taxes paid by boaters are going towards the HWRF and are diverted elsewhere. So really , boaters are getting screwed sideways with this new rule.

Personally, moving forward, all my dinks and small craft will remain unregistered in the state as I'm sure the fine is less than the actual registration fees and sales taxes involve.

I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles. I recently just sold about half of them off and one of the reasons why is because of the excessive registration fees I have been paying on them annually.

If you make any money at all in CA they will get you. That is why everyone is fleeing the state . This fee will just be one more nail in the coffin for CA.

I also just joined the RBOC . They are at least fighting the new fees. https://www.rboc.org/
Maybe others will consider a donation as well.

California has had a spending problem for at least 50 years. It's easy to spend someone else's money. Yachts are an easy target, only rich people have boats...

Yachts are not the target. PWC, and small craft are the target of this tax increase.

Don't mean to be too cra$$... however... time$ change; co$t$ go up. Covid-19 pandemic has put economic pr$$ure onto every level imaginable. Wait till $tock market$ face reality... Boy, $ay Howdy! :eek: :facepalm: :lol:

$70 for two year$ of regi$tration [$35 per year] on ve$$el$ valued from ten$ of thou$and$ to many ten$ of thou$and dollar$ is rally not all that bad.

Of cour$e I'd like to pay le$$ for everything, but, that'$ just a pipedream in 2021.

:dance:

What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000? Its not rally so low anymore then. Annual fees approaching 10% of the value of a boat doesn't seem fair.

What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000? Its not rally so low anymore then. Annual fees approaching 10% of the value of a boat doesn't seem fair.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that life is not always fair?

Don't know about CA, but in TX you still pay state registration even if CG documented.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that life is not always fair?

I dont need to be told it at my age. I see it everywhere regularly. But that does not mean i cannot point it out when I see it.

I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles. I recently just sold about half of them off and one of the reasons why is because of the excessive registration fees I have been paying on them annually.

That's a lota boats! Do you rent out small boats?

"I also have a bunch (20 ish?) of green stickered vehicles."

"What about that fee on a vessel worth $500? or $1000?"

Actually the California state budget spending per capita is #22 out of 50 states, just above average. Well below states like North Dakota, Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc.; all of those states spend more per person. Alaska is the high flyer, more than double the spending per person than California.

Doesn't make California government exactly thrifty, but we are going to have the chance to recall our governor again here shortly.

I don't know how anybody tolerates living in CA. That state is a train wreck with beautiful weather.

Registration fees here in Michigan range from $14 to $448 every three years based on length. And we only get to use our boats half the year. And no break if you're Documented, you still have to have State registration. I'd love to be paying $35 a year.

Hope you don't have Texas numbers on the bow if documented.

Federal law prohibits state numbers on Doc'd boats. The States can make you register and post a tax sticker, but they can't make you put their numbers on it.

I am not clear, is this a rant over $35 a year?

It is in fact the weather. Today sunny and about 68 deg. How's the weather today in SD?

Trade-offs in life. It's gray and miserable and about 15 degrees (after 26 below zero a couple days ago), but my state boat registration is $20 a year, no annual property tax on the boat, no state income taxes, no COVID lockdowns, deer browsing in the backyard (well within Sioux Falls city limits, so I'm not talking about the boonies), no required gun permits, we don't lock the cars in the driveway at night, and when we're down at the marina my kids yell "We're going to hunt frogs Dad, see you later!" and they come back hours later safe and alive. And we legally shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July and our 4,000 sq foot house on just under an acre doesn't cost $52 billion dollars and we don't have to sell body organs to pay the property taxes. And if my commute to work takes more than nine minutes I get annoyed. On the other hand the boat is a popsicle on jack stands and won't thaw until April. Trade offs.

Really feel sorry for those that will be paying $35 per year. The FL registration sticker for my documented boat is almost $200 per year. My 10' dinghy with the electric 3 HP outboard is $13 per year. $35 per year for most boats sounds pretty reasonable, maybe not for a small dinghy. Or you could live in Virginia where there is personal property tax on boats in many (maybe all) counties.

Ted

Kthoennes: one reason I tolerate living in CA is apparent today: I just tied up at the dock and dining outside for dinner at the yacht club. This weekend I will be providing the start boat for the sailboat races. Temp will be 75-80 Sunday. I can get to my boat in 30 minutes and be in Avalon in a day. So while I am not crazy about taxes I don't think it takes too much effort to tolerate living here. I know there are many great places to live in the US and I try to not judge.

Of multi year durations [with some short stays in other locations] I've lived in:

NY, LI South Shore - Nassau County / Penobscot Bay Area Maine / Denver / San Diego / Upper Sierra Novates and... spent many years traveling around the U.S.

Been in Nor Cal [40 miles north of SF] since August 18, 1984. Sure don't plan to ever leave!

Kinda reminds me of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears story... Some places were too cold, others too hot. Nor Cal is just right!!

In Washington my registration fee is over $3500.00
Derelict Vessel Surcharge
$1.00
Derelict Vessel Removal
$5.00
Vessel Registration
$10.50
Registration Filing
$4.50
Registration Service Fee
$8.00
Dept. of Licensing Service
$0.50
License Plate Technology
$0.25
Vessel Excise Tax
$3,393.57

Excise tax? Is that a one time charge on the initial purchase of the boat, like a sales tax? You don't pay that tax every year, do you??

License Plate Technology
$0.25

This seems excessive.

Excise tax? Is that a one time charge on the initial purchase of the boat, like a sales tax? You don't pay that tax every year, do you??

Yep every year. It does go down a little each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom