Hello from Cape Breton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetJohn

Vessel Name
Sadie Mae
Vessel Make
Tartan 37
Hello everyone.
We currently spend half our year on a Tartan 37 sailboat on Toronto island.
we have had sailboats and runabouts for the last 25 years.
we have been searching the interweb for a 36 ish foot trawler to do the down east loop on and then become our Toronto boat. and we would the take the tartan south. So far with out having been on one we really like the look of the Monk 36. unfortunately there are none listed for sale anwhere we can travel to at the moment. There is also a Kha Shing 37 for sale in Toronto that checks a lot of our boxes. i would love some impute on both of these boats or other suggestions.
thanks
John

Other than a general size range, do you have any specific wants, needs, don't-wants, etc. in a boat?

Welcome aboard. Have fun looking for your new boat.

Other than a general size range, do you have any specific wants, needs, don't-wants, etc. in a boat?

After years of sleeping in a v-berth on sailboats a proper aft cabin with a queen or at least a big double is way up on our priority list. i like the the idea of twin stations, with a roomy fly bridge and enclosure.
Single screw with a thruster would be ideal.
At least an apartment sized fridge.
i am not afraid of repairs and i am able to fix most things myself however we don"t want a project boat.
Not interested in teak decks.
Galley up.
Oh and the boss has dreams of a boat with a bathtub.
i realise that most of these are about amenities.
i am assuming that that any boat comparable to a Monk 36 will be a safe coastal cruiser with decent range.

After years of sleeping in a v-berth on sailboats a proper aft cabin with a queen or at least a big double is way up on our priority list. i like the the idea of twin stations, with a roomy fly bridge and enclosure.
Single screw with a thruster would be ideal.
At least an apartment sized fridge.
i am not afraid of repairs and i am able to fix most things myself however we don"t want a project boat.
Not interested in teak decks.
Galley up.
Oh and the boss has dreams of a boat with a bathtub.
i realise that most of these are about amenities.
i am assuming that that any boat comparable to a Monk 36 will be a safe coastal cruiser with decent range.

Those shouldn't be overly hard requirements to meet. The Monk 36, some Grand Banks, some of the Taiwan Trawlers will likely meet that need.

My own boat meets a good portion of that list, but not all. Things it misses are that it's twin screw, no thrusters, gas engines, and only 1 helm (not a flybridge, but helm is on top of the aft cabin with real windshields). It's got the rest though. Island queen forward, king aft. Bathtub in the aft head, no teak decks, galley is level with the salon and has a good size fridge.

In terms of range and capability, yes, most of the stuff you'd be looking at in that range is plenty capable for most coastal cruising. Most will have enough range to go pretty much anywhere in the US without issue, although some will have more than others.

Back
Top Bottom