Cost of new shafts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
Hi all, recently I converted my packed shaft system to a dripless system. My engine room is now bone dry. However during the conversion, some shaft dampening couplers were removed and my shafts got 'shorter'. In order to accommodate the shorter length exiting the vessel, the , the line cutters were removed from the shafts. It was a pretty simple fix, but now I am concerned about not having shaft cutters on 2 exposed shafts. I'm considering having new shafts made and of course, the next question is 'how much?" I'm guessing the shafts are about 15 or 20 ft long and are 1.75" in diameter.
Any knowledgeable insight would be appreciated.

I would suggest you contact someone in S.F. THere should be at least one shop or yard in that area that does this type of work.
Unless someone has done this recently it is guesswork and could be misleading.
I would start with prop shops. Even if they don't make shafts themselves they will know who to talk to.

THe link below showed a bunch of possibilities.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boa...me..69i57.21973j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I removed the drivesavers in our boats. I didn’t have any shaft length to pull the shafts forward so I had custom spacers made by Spurs. They cost about $500 each and fit perfectly after I gave them the specs for what I needed. So I didn’t have to move my shafts forward at all. They took up the 1.75” gap where the drivesavers used to be.

Spurs Marine Mfg.
201 SW 33 STREET
FORT LAUDERDALE FL 33315 USA
954-463-2707

Bought a 2” set of aquamet 22 shafts for 2k a piece in 2006. Different boat but same size shafts cost 4K in 2018.

I would suggest you contact someone in S.F. THere should be at least one shop or yard in that area that does this type of work.
Unless someone has done this recently it is guesswork and could be misleading.
I would start with prop shops. Even if they don't make shafts themselves they will know who to talk to.

THe link below showed a bunch of possibilities.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boa...me..69i57.21973j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks. I called the propeller shop near KKMI. They told me to bring the shafts and the propellers in and they could quote it. LOL

I removed the drivesavers in our boats. I didn’t have any shaft length to pull the shafts forward so I had custom spacers made by Spurs. They cost about $500 each and fit perfectly after I gave them the specs for what I needed. So I didn’t have to move my shafts forward at all. They took up the 1.75” gap where the drivesavers used to be.

Spurs Marine Mfg.
201 SW 33 STREET
FORT LAUDERDALE FL 33315 USA
954-463-2707

Well, they took the spacers out to allow the new dripless seals to be mounted on a 'clean' shaft. To if i push the shafts back, the 'dripless' seals wont be 'dripless' anymore.

Same size. $2,200 in 2019. Bellingham, WA.

Well, they took the spacers out to allow the new dripless seals to be mounted on a 'clean' shaft. To if i push the shafts back, the 'dripless' seals wont be 'dripless' anymore.

Can you put the spacers back in and go back to a standard shaft log? For that price I would go with a regular shaft log.

Restore the shaft packing system, BUT this time use a modern packing like Duramax.

Dry bilge , no problem.

Modern packing is not as cheap as flax , but way better than new shafts.

Maybe $50 per side.

And no danger of a leak bigger than most bilge pump systems can handle , or problems free wheeling a prop.

Last edited:
ASAP supplies in the UK sells what are called "bobbins" that are a short shaft extension that fits between the gearbox output flange and your coupling, way cheaper than new shafts but might work for you. Otherwise Deep Blue Yacht Supply's website will give a price for a new shaft. I've gotten them there and their work is fine.

Back
Top Bottom