Champagne Trawler Taste on a Beer Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the interests of fuel economy, do twin engines use twice the fuel use of an identical single engine, to produce the same boat speed in the same boat?

No. Given the same boat, say a GB36, the twin engine version will burn more than the amount burned by the single, but less than twice the amount. Our GB36 twin with two FL120s cruises at 8 knots with both engines turning at about 1650 rpm. A GB36 with one FL120 will need to run at a higher rpm to achieve the same speed through the water, assuming the same propeller specs.

Or put another way, the one engine in the single engine GB36 will have to run at a higher power setting to achieve a given boat speed than either of the engines in a twin-engine GB36 will have to run to achieve the same boat speed. Higher power=higher fuel burn.

So the fuel burn in a twin will be what, half again as much as the fuel burn of the single engine version of the same boat? But not twice as much. There are probably formulas to get accurate figures.

While a bit apples and oranges, our two FL120s need to turn at 1650 rpm to achieve a boat speed of 8 knots. The more-powerful Cummins engine in the single-engine GB36 we chartered before buying the boat we have now had to run at 2,000 rpm to achieve the same 8 knots. Not as good a comparison as a GB36 with one FL120 and a GB 36 of the same vintage with two FL120s but you get the idea.

Last edited:
No. Given the same boat, say a GB36, the twin engine version will burn more than the amount burned by the single, but less than twice the amount. Our GB36 twin with two FL120s cruises at 8 knots with both engines turning at about 1650 rpm. A GB36 with one FL120 will need to run at a higher rpm to achieve the same speed through the water, assuming the same propeller specs.

Or put another way, the one engine in the single engine GB36 will have to run at a higher power setting to achieve a given boat speed than either of the engines in a twin-engine GB36 will have to run to achieve the same boat speed. Higher power=higher fuel burn.

So the fuel burn in a twin will be what, half again as much as the fuel burn of the single engine version of the same boat? But not twice as much. There are probably formulas to get accurate figures.

While a bit apples and oranges, our two FL120s need to turn at 1650 rpm to achieve a boat speed of 8 knots. The more-powerful Cummins engine in the single-engine GB36 we chartered before buying the boat we have now had to run at 2,000 rpm to achieve the same 8 knots. Not as good a comparison as a GB36 with one FL120 and a GB 36 of the same vintage with two FL120s but you get the idea.

Good explanation...

My reading and experience has shown that so few examples are available of the exact same boat with the exact same parameters there's very little "hard facts" on the subject...BUT...what I have sen is the single will burn a little less than any twin combination unless the single is way overpowering the boat anyhow.

Twins aren't THAT much more...but more in the best case scenarios...so it's more preference versus unbelievable savings.

To add to what psneeld said, the reasons I have heard given from the people I know or have talked to who made a decision to buy a single-engine boat over a twin all had to do with reduced maintenance and service costs, more space in the engine room, ease of service, maintenance and repair, less noise, less vibration, and of course, lower purchase cost of the boat (usually).

I don't recall anyone telling me that they chose a single over a twin because of the reduced fuel burn. Like psneeld, I just don't believe it's that signficant of a difference assuming the same cruise speed envelopes for both boats.

To add to what psneeld said, the reasons I have heard given from the people I know or have talked to who made a decision to buy a single-engine boat over a twin all had to do with reduced maintenance and service costs, more space in the engine room, ease of service, maintenance and repair, less noise, less vibration, and of course, lower purchase cost of the boat (usually).

I don't recall anyone telling me that they chose a single over a twin because of the reduced fuel burn. Like psneeld, I just don't believe it's that signficant of a difference assuming the same cruise speed envelopes for both boats.[/QUOTE]

Of course it depends on total fuel usage a year....like FF pointed out in one post....loopers, retirees, world cruisers...yeah there's a number in there either you can or can't live with....and it does depend on what engine setup....burn enough fuel and even a 1% difference adds up at $4.00/gallon...but for many that's not evenly remotely an issue.

Take a KK42 that's happy with 65hp and try to compare it with a GB42 with twin TA 475hp 3208s and there's no efficiency comparison....no matter how you run the boat. Take a second KK42 and look at the fuel burn if it had twin 45hp Yanmars and I bet you could make an arguement between the 2 camps.

Higher power=higher fuel burn

Sometimes , depends where the efficient operation for the engine is.

And fuel is only one concern , under loading might be another , that is far more expensive than just fuel.

The OP talked about getting a low buck trawler. I don't know what the situation is in his area but in the PNW the cheapest useable trawlers are converted fish boats. But the OP has lots of ideas about the features he wants and if he's looking for a GOOD economical boat a flybridge should not even be part of the picture unless a great boat is found and it just happens to have the FB.

It appears the OP is looking for a low buck trawler but hasn't owned or operated a trawler before and may have come up with his ideas about the features he wants from various outside sources. Upon further research, he may change his ideas somewhat.

One thing I question is his insistence on twin engines. Many high end, long distance trawlers use single engines. Many commercial fishing boats do as well. I think he would be wise to keep an open mind on this.

Being a new trawler captain, I have come to rely on my twin engines. Especially in docking and manuevering. I appreciate the redundency and when I actually had a casualty, I could get back to the dock.

All good things.

All the boats I've owned were single engines, outboards or I/O on boats up to 32'. I guess we were just young and foolish daredevils back then. I'd be fine with a single engine boat.

Absolutely bareboat charter a week somewhere first. We did the Virgin Islands on a Grand Banks but the Chesapeake has some nice options. It gives you some real life chances to see what you like or don't like. In our case it gave us an incurable disease, called "trawlering". We like you, thought we had 10 years to decide but once we had the bug we couldn't wait. The economy helped... we saw boats asking prices go down 50% in 3 years. Once we got over the fact that we could get the same and in some cases better features in a newer vessel for the same money by giving up the "Grand Banks" name we were there. We wanted glass on the flybridge but we wanted it new so we picked a boat that didn't have it which was less money and added it.

There were other compromises but I'm finding I can live with them or in some cases I was wrong in what I thought I wanted. The things we added weren't that expensive and made the boat "ours".

We like the twins for manuvering and have cruised up and down the Chesapeake all summer on the same tank of gas.

Sometimes I think I should just sell the house and buy a bigger boat!
That boat has some design characteristics that would be good for the PNW (particularly AK, where the boat is located) - but "9' 6" deep" (this might be where the paravanes run?) and "7 ft 7 in draft" would be problematic elsewhere. A turbocharged main with 7,000 hours - even one as low stressed as this one - may be due for some maintenance (though a rebuild kit looks cheap enough). And the exterior maintenance has clearly suffered - I see a fair amount of corrosion, plus look at the water damage from the leading pilothouse windows. And 2500 gallons of fuel tankage is a problem, not a feature - unless you're going to be permanently cruising.

My verdict: bring your checkbook!

Trawlering is just the type of boat you are using.

Cruising is usally the activity that many discuss here.

You can cruise in anything....just depends on what amenities you desire to take along and how hard you want to work getting there...rowing, sailing or motoring...(plus others if you want to get carried away)...:D

So if you don't know if you like cruising you need to do it in many different kinds of boats anyhow. Somemight like cruising at 30 knots...others are fine at six. Some like the journey, some like the distinations and some like both about the same.

So if you don't know if you even like cruising...saying you want a trawler and a specific kind/style at that is kind of silly without lots more investigation.

Trawlering is just the type of boat you are using.

Cruising is usally the activity that many discuss here.

You can cruise in anything....just depends on what amenities you desire to take along and how hard you want to work getting there...rowing, sailing or motoring...(plus others if you want to get carried away)...:D

So if you don't know if you like cruising you need to do it in many different kinds of boats anyhow. Somemight like cruising at 30 knots...others are fine at six. Some like the journey, some like the distinations and some like both about the same.

So if you don't know if you even like cruising...saying you want a trawler and a specific kind/style at that is kind of silly without lots more investigation.

Well said!

The best boat decisions are based on what you want to do with the boat. Imagine yourself using the boat, and make the layout fit your needs.

Do you boat in rainy areas??? Then a outdoors covered place would be great. Do you like to fish? Then a boat with a cockpit might be in order.

The boat should fit your cruising intentions, not the other way around.

I have owned loads of boats and twins are great for docking however once we were 70 miles from the coast and lost a engine due to a head gasket, Running on one motor i overheated it and damaged the 2nd engine. Bad call on my part I am looking at a trawler type cruiser now with aft cabin 2 heads nice galley and it had gas twins that i would remove sell or part out and replace with twin 4cly rebuilt diesels . My current trawler is wooden former shrimp boat we have rebuilt thousands of man hours in the end i will have about $20,000 in the complete boat so it is a personal deal what you want what you need and what you can afford. Every boat i have owned had either engine issues or water damage even smoked electrical systems .Or i would not be able to afford boating like we do on a Fixed income.

When I was thinking about trawlering, I put an add in Boat/US magazine saying I'd like to be paying crew for on the water trawler experience. We gained valuable insight on those adventures and in most cases payment was refused.

That is a great way to understand the abilities of different boats, My father owned 2 or more sportfishing boats as i grew up i thought that 35mph in a 55 ft boat was the norm. Then i took a ICW trip over 900 miles at 12 MPH changed my life slow and easy was fine with me. I still love my center console at 70MPH but for travel 12 MPH 1 GPH fuel burn and a slower lifestyle.

It's pretty common when folks ask for a boat recommendation to ask how they plan to use the boat, but if someone has never boated before or has limited boating experience, he or she won't really know how they end up using a boat. I know when I bought my first boat, I never planned on cruising the Atlantic ICW in a trawler.

Even if they think that's what they want to do, considering the substantial investment a turn key, seaworthy boat is, it would be wise to read a lot of boating forums, magazines and books, and talk to a lot of boat owners before narrowing down the choices and options. There are a couple annual boat shows featuring trawlers and larger boats and if possible, attending these and actually boarding the boats would be a good investment.

We've talked this one to death years ago and ther'e is no answer because ther'e is no way to get an apples and apples comparison. Too many variables.
But remember if you're going to compare you've got to compare boat w the same amount of total power or you're just mak'in noise. Same type of engine too. Ect ect.

I see you're not talking about twins v/s singles anymore. I must have been on a different page. Sorry.

Last edited:
Really good replies as always. We do have experience but all on rivers and lakes with smaller vessels. This time, we will move aboard, live, and cruise the rest if our days away. We love boating and love the water.

Slow and steady is great for us. To me, getting there is half the fun.

I am not at all sold on twins. A single screw is fine but it would be reassuring to have a small Get Home engine just in case. I suppose though that if an engine is well taken care of it should perform just fine. That us what I always did in the past and I have never been let down yet by one.

Great forum as I have said. Much appreciated!!!!

Really good replies as always. We do have experience but all on rivers and lakes with smaller vessels. This time, we will move aboard, live, and cruise the rest if our days away. We love boating and love the water.

Slow and steady is great for us. To me, getting there is half the fun.

I am not at all sold on twins. A single screw is fine but it would be reassuring to have a small Get Home engine just in case. I suppose though that if an engine is well taken care of it should perform just fine. That us what I always did in the past and I have never been let down yet by one.

Great forum as I have said. Much appreciated!!!!

For many areas the best get home engine is an assistance towing contract. Besides just the tow..they are there to help in many other ways. I even help members of the competition just because it's fun.

Before all the remote area guys start screaming...yes I know the difference between getting help in a few hours versus a couple of days...:socool:

A dingy properly rigged can do a lot too....a "good enough" get home engine for some types of crusin'.

I was just relating with a crusing friend...bringing my single eng trwler the 1000 miles from Ft lauderdale to NJ was actually less eventful than dozens of trips that far with twins. More than half of those trips ended in single engine returns or significant delays waiting for one engine to be fixed.

Part of the single vs twin decision should be based on where one intends to boat. Ignoring for the moment the fact that an engine if well maintained and properly operated should be pretty much trouble free, if one boats where assistance is readily available, the redundancy benefit of a twin is somewhat reduced. If one boats in waters where assistance is hours or days away, the redundancy of a twin becomes more important.

Also what is the nature of those waters? In the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska the tidal range is big to huge so currents can be fast and strong. Losing one's propulsion means the current will take over and there have been plenty of instances, even in waters where tow services are less than an hour away, where boats have been carried into rocks, onto a reef, or up against the shore within a very short time after power was lost.

In places where the tidal range is small so currents are less significant, a boat that loses its means of propulsion may simpy drift around for awhile (depending on the wind) and there may be plenty of time for an assistance boat to get there.

So lots of factors to consider in the decision, which is why there is no right or wrong answer to the "how many engines" question.

Returning to the twins/single aspect of economics (if that`s not too much on topic),I gather single low revving heavy diesels eg Deere,Lugger,Gardner are engine of choice for long range cruisers(which we are not), maybe with a 'get home' auxiliary engine. Such cruisers may cover a lot of miles between refuel opportunities and need to get the most out of fuel they carry. Does that point to the economy of single engines? BruceK

Sure. Add to this the fact that the long-range, so-called "passagemakers" like Nordhavn, etc. are almost always displacment boats with relatively low power engines since not a lot of power is needed to move them at their optimum cruising speeds. The standard power package in most Nordhavn's, for example, is a single Lugger. Some of these boats have get-home setups, often in the form of a small engine with its own small shaft and folding prop offset to one side of the centerline.

Last edited:
Part of the single vs twin decision should be based on where one intends to boat. Ignoring for the moment the fact that an engine if well maintained and properly operated should be pretty much trouble free, if one boats where assistance is readily available, the redundancy benefit of a twin is somewhat reduced. If one boats in waters where assistance is hours or days away, the redundancy of a twin becomes more important.

Also what is the nature of those waters? In the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska the tidal range is big to huge so currents can be fast and strong. Losing one's propulsion means the current will take over and there have been plenty of instances, even in waters where tow services are less than an hour away, where boats have been carried into rocks, onto a reef, or up against the shore within a very short time after power was lost.

In places where the tidal range is small so currents are less significant, a boat that loses its means of propulsion may simpy drift around for awhile (depending on the wind) and there may be plenty of time for an assistance boat to get there.

So lots of factors to consider in the decision, which is why there is no right or wrong answer to the "how many engines" question.
Hate to be the weenie here but while tidal range is important..it's not the range that makes the current...it's the waters it's squeezed through...and at some point...what does even that matter? If you lose an engine and are swept into rock, pilings, wrecks, etc...etc....your boat is damaged nonetheless whether the curent is a half knot or 4 knots.

So if you have a single engine...much like a pilot of a single engine plane anticipates...you have to be ready for the worst at all times if single engine....know thy emergency landing spot at all times.:socool:

I see it every day in my assistance towing job. people that have problems and get the anchor down and set fast are OK while the knuckleheaded inexperienced boaters wait and wait...then they are in a world of shi* before they know it.

It's a mindset...just like flying or anything else in life. If you think you are taking a risk in one area (single engine) and are prepared to deal with the cosequences...you are better off than the person with the added safety feature of a second engine or whatever if you are complacent because of that added feature.

Hello everyone. I'm still attaining knowledge from the forum, at a rapid pace I might add, and I thank you all. I read this last night and it made a lot of sense, to me anyway, even though I'd love to have twins it was an interesting read.
Cheers to ya'll! :)

Single or Twin Engine??
There are certain subjects that bring out spirited opinions in everyone. In trawler circles, a dead ringer for dockside debate concerns the argument of one engine versus two engines. There are claims that can be made to support either point of view.
Having said that, I now contend that much of the emotional and gut-feel intuition you have about this subject may be suspect-or at least open for analysis. You see, I intended this article to come together in a "Point...Counterpoint" format, showing the arguments on both sides of this popular Holy Place topic.
I discussed the subject with professionals in the marine engine industry, asking some pointed and open questions. By identifying the valid pros and cons, I thought we could all get a little more informed about the real issues, and the benefits of single engine and twin engines. The different opinions could be listed and shared with you, and then we could all choose up sides. Boy, was I in for a surprise...
The opinions of these marine diesel experts were decidedly one-sided-in favor of a single engine installation. This is simply amazing, considering the many thousands of boats built with twin diesels. However, these people know their business, and their experience/opinions are a direct result of many years in the marine industry- serving commercial, military, fishing, and pleasure boat applications.
There is apparently a lot of vaporous thinking out there concerning reliability, maneuverability, safety, economy, and applicability when discussing a single engine versus twin engines.
Obviously the final decision is up to you, the boat owner. But just listen to what these guys have to say...
Reliability
Did you know nearly one hundred percent of the commercial fishing and work-boat vessels (of all sizes) are single screw/one engine boats? Scallop draggers, lobster boats, charter fishing boats, long-liners, crabbers, seiners, whatever- these vessels are all powered by a single diesel engine. (And that engine usually has keel cooling and a dry exhaust.)
Bob Tokarczyk, Marine Sales Manager at Bell Power Systems (the Northeast distributor for John Deere Power) summed it up by stating, "From an engine representative point of view, engines aren't troublesome. If they are maintained, they basically will give the dependability and durability expected.
"If you look at the commercial side, you'll find almost all commercial vessels are a single engine vessel-you only see multi-engined vessels when there are rigorous situations, such as ferry boats, where there are exceptional demands placed on the application."
All of these engine manufacturer representatives felt the same-the reliability of the engine (and drive components) is not in question. Commercial vessels go out in much worse conditions than we do, and they put thousands of continuous hours on their engines each year.
Bill Naugle, Senior Application Engineer at Caterpillar, had another persuasive argument. "A fuel-related problem that kills one engine will probably kill both engines, so reliability isn't equated to redundancy. The redundancy reason just isn't valid.
"Any modern diesel is pretty reliable, and things just don't fly apart anymore. But if anything in the system fails, you're done-so maintenance is very important. Professional fishboat operators probably maintain their equipment a lot better than pleasure boat owners, which is a factor to consider.
"Pleasure boat owners don't run their engines hard (high rpm and horsepower load) in the first place, so the engines are not being stressed. Anybody who buys a trawler is not a go-fast guy. These people probably are going cruising, so they are more worried about noise and fuel consumption. Many are ex-sailors. These people just don't abuse machinery-so things last forever."
Bill Hirt, Application Engineer at Cummins Marine, adds that manufacturers build engines for different horsepower ratings, which allows the designers to insure reliability at lower load ratings. "Typically, we put a derated-type engine into trawlers, which may be the same basic engine as a higher horsepower version, but set up for less horsepower demands. And there is less stress in these lower horsepower applications."
Obviously it is important to have all the necessary spares on board your boat, so if there is a problem it can be resolved safely and timely. Relying on the second engine to get you home because you don't carry a spare waterpump impeller isn't the mark of proper seamanship.
gt;Maneuverability
A boat with twin engines is easier to maneuver, no doubt about it. So if you are going into places where you are worried about high winds, small tight spaces, then the two engine setup may be the answer. But even this seemingly obvious conclusion didn't phase the experts.
Al Kozel, Vice President of Marine Sales at Detroit Diesel, said it best. "I think a lot of pleasure boat owners are uncomfortable docking a boat with one engine. Having twin engines makes a big difference in maneuverability. But with a properlysized bow or stern thruster, a single engine vessel can turn circles in its own length-so that takes care of the maneuverability question."
Again, they draw our attention to commercial boats, where operators work 15/18 hours a day, 5/7 days a week. They have no problems maneuvering around a 40'/50' boat with a single engine. They know the thrusts, and they know how to get into a spot, taking advantage of whatever conditions exist at the time.
The general feeling is that maneuverability is a thinking person's game. If you think about what you are doing, knowing you have a certain amount of side thrust coming off your prop, knowing where the winds are and so on, you can utilize all these factors to successfully maneuver your trawler. The commercial people think about the conditions and vessel characteristics, and make them work to their advantage.
By having two engines, we have the piece of mind that we can achieve something that really could be done with a single screw-but maneuvering a single screw requires more thinking.
Not one of these engine professionals felt maneuverability was enough reason to consider two engines. Get a thruster...or practice.
Safety
The experts agree this is a question of perception. Many people feel redundancy is safety, but it gets back to the factual versus perceived value of two engines. If you really sit down and pick it apart, there are not many factual reasons for two engines, and you might even find reasons that make two engines less desirable for safety.
Kurt Hoehne of Alaska Diesel Electric (makers of Lugger diesel engines) points out some lessobvious safety considerations. "Remember, as many failures occur due to damage to the propeller or shaft as to the engine itself breaking down. A single prop is usually protected by the keel, and therefore is less likely to be damaged."
The props, struts, and shafts of twin engines are very much exposed to lines, nets, trash, logs, or other potentially damaging objects. A single propeller in an aperture is protected by the keel. This is a point to consider if you cruise in areas with floating debris.
Kurt continues, "And while the second engine is a good backup, other systems are routinely installed. A 'get home' engine is very popular, either on its own drive system or connected to the main shaft. If it's connected to the main shaft, it becomes useless if the main shaft and/or propeller are damaged. Some get home systems are installed with saildrive units and folding props, so they're there when needed, but have only minimal drag the rest of the time.
"Some stern thrusters are an appealing alternative. These transom-mounted units can be lowered and rotated 90 degrees to act as get home power. This eliminates drag, yet helps maneuverability, and provides a safety margin."
But Bill Naugle of Caterpillar doesn't see the need for exotic alternatives. "All the fishboats run around with one engine. And these professional fishing boats don't have alternative powerplants or get home systems. If you are on a coast somewhere, go talk to the fishing people-people who know how to make the engine room a very reliable place for all machinery. They go out all the time with a single screw vessel."
Economy
The initial cost of twin engines is usually higher, as is the cost of operating them.
Bob Tokarczyk said it best. "With two engines, you have twice the worries, twice the maintenance, twice the instrumentation, twice the number of filter changes you have to think about-as well as everything else that needs to be done with two engines. Overall, the costs are far greater."
Bill Naugle adds, "Maintenance and cost are pretty much doubled. If you have a specific horsepower requirement for a given hull, it doesn't really matter whether you power with two small diesels or one bigger diesel-the fuel consumed is pretty much the same (the smaller engines probably use a bit more). But all the other costs are doubled."
Applicability
Now that we have looked at reliability, maneuverability, safety, and economy, how does all this apply to your boat and cruising agenda? What else do you need to think about? Here are their comments...
Brian Smith of American Diesel, "It is important to size the engine correctly. American Diesel sticks with the naturally aspirated diesel design, and stays away from turbocharging for the majority of these applications."
Kurt Hoehne of Alaska Diesel, "For the long distance cruiser like a trawler, both single or twin engines should be sized and geared to provide the speed you are looking for. Getting this formula correct is critical."
Bill Naugle of Caterpillar, "Having two small, hightech diesels to produce the horsepower of a big single diesel may be an option, but there is a question of overall life of the engine. The larger engine is going to live much longer than the smaller engines. If you are in a situation where life is at risk (as is the case offshore)-this is a consideration."
Bob Tokarczyk of Bell Power, "Buy a good reliable engine, an engine that is rated properly. Don't go out and buy the smallest, highest horsepower engine-it just won't be as reliable or as durable. Buy an engine that is designed for running longer periods of time, not just for high performance."
Al Kozel of Detroit Diesel, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with a single diesel engine. And there is no real justification for twins for most applications. If one engine can do the job, then there really is no point in having two."
Bill Hirt of Cummins Marine, "If I were a diehard sportfisherman, you better believe I would want two big engines-but for a trawler application, I probably would just have one engine."
Summary
This will probably generate more discussion than answers-but that's fine. It is important to scrape away at the perceptions, and look at the real issues and tradeoffs.
Your boat should be equipped to suit your own desires and requirements. If your speed requirements can't be satisfied by a single engine installation, for instance, then that is the end of the debate for you.
The same is probably true if you feel redundancy is best, no matter what else is said on the subject. No doubt about it, two engines are found in thousands of boats. If you don't have a thruster, twin engines will definitely give you the edge in maneuverability.
However you come out in the dockside argument, take a hard look at your own rationale, and see if these experts have put anything in a different light for you. If you are considering a new boat with an engine option, try both single and twin engine versions before making a decision.
And let the great debate continue...
Acknowledgments
I would like to thank the following individuals for their comments and experiencebased opinions. I got their names directly from the engine manufacturers, so be clear these people know what they are talking about!
Kurt Hoehne
Alaska Diesel Electric
Seattle, WA
Bill Naugle,
Senior Application Engineer
Caterpillar Inc.
Mossville, IL

Brian Smith
American Diesel Corporation
Kilmarnock, VA

Al Kozel,
Vice President of Marine Sales
Detroit Diesel Corporation
Detroit, MI

Bill Hirt,
Application Engineer
Cummins Marine
Charleston, SC

Bob Tokarczyk,
Marine Sales Manager
Bell Power Systems (Distributors for John
Deere Power Systems)
Essex, CT

Sometimes more makes you look stupid:

2000-hp-outboard-inflatable-speed-boat_7853E888-E2DB-827D-A7E2BD3E0B611CA6.jpg

I suspect the pic was doctored, but still.

If more is better, why not 5?

Attachments

• 5 tractor engines.jpg
    5 tractor engines.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 381
Hate to be the weenie here but while tidal range is important..it's not the range that makes the current...it's the waters it's squeezed through...

Mmmmm.... not totally. When you have a tidal range of up to 20 feet, the current even out in the middle of a big body of water like the Strait of Georgia or Queen Charlotte Strait can thump along at a pretty good clip as that massive volume of water flushes out and then returns twice a day. Yes, you're right in that constricting this huge flow of water into a narrow passage between islands or an island and the mainland will certainly speed things up, often a whole lot. There are local currents here like the famed Skookumchuck Narrows that the average 10 foot tidal range sends 200 billion gallons of water through every day at speeds reaching almost 18 knots.

But it's the tidal range that sets the volume of flow and the baseline current speed: the constriction of the passes is the speed multiplier. I'm talking our inside waters here where the entire water volume between high and low tides in the area from the south end of Puget Sound to the north end of Vancouver Island leaves and enters four times a day through two large straits. If the tide range in this area was only a foot or so, the currents would be relatively minor.

The situation on an open coast will, I assume, be much different in terms of the currents even if the tide range is high.

Having known some people who've nearly had their boats pushed into rocks or a rocky shoreline by the current when they lost either motive power or steerage I can say it's a definite possibility here. In one case steering was restored minutes before the boat went into the rocks. In another the Canadian CG arrived just in time to tow the powerless sailboat away from the shoreline.

Back
Top Bottom