Old 02-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Birdman
Veteran Member

City: Long Island, NY
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: In Search of a 40'er!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
How much you care about the speed will really depend on your personality and cruising style.

If you prefer the faster cruising speed, there are plenty of motoryacht types out there that will give 95% of the space and comfort of a trawler, be 90% as good at going slow, 90% as efficient at low speed, but can cruise in the high teens all day if you want to pay the fuel bill. They'll still be slower than a lot of express cruiser types, but many will have hull designs that ride better and are a lot more usable at low speed compared to an express cruiser that's only meant to drop off plane for no wake zones, then right back to light speed.

My own boat cruises quite comfortably in the 6.5 - 7 kt range, or on plane at 16 - 18 kts. Being on plane is nearly 2.5 times the fuel burn per mile compared to going slow. Space wise, I'd say it's got just as much usable space and interior comfort as most similarly sized trawlers.

Thanks! As for the "motor yachts", most of the ones I see have a raised back/aft cabin. That will not work for me. I have to at least have a cockpit at the stern, so it can be fished from time to time, or just lounging in/on....

Anyone have any models of "motor yachts" with a decent sized cockpit on stern, island bed in master, dry head (separate shower), twin diesels, small 2nd stateroom/office desk, can run efficient at 8 knots, or blast 15 or 20 knots... feel free to post em up!! HELP!! NEED BOAT!~!!!
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote