3900 optimal speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AzureSkies

Vessel Name
Azure Skies
Vessel Make
Californian 3900
Hello all,

We have just purchased a 2001 Navigator/Californian 3900. Finding information on this particular vessel is not easy, so I am hoping others out there might have some useful information.

I am curious if any knows the optimal cruising speed and the corresponding fuel usage for this vessel. She has twin Volvo TAMD 63s (turbo charged). I have done the calculations for generic diesel fuel usage, but I am hoping someone has more precise data.

Thanks in advance.

I would see if you can lookup and find the prop curves for those engines. It will generally tell you the gph at various rpms. Then start a table of speed/rpm. Where those two tables intersect will be your gph/speed and give you an idea of what will be the most efficient.

However, if you really want to know the most fuel efficient speed it will likely be about a knot below your calculated hull speed. That will also likely be painfully slow for you.

One of my favorite Navigator designs! I've always admired the layout.

Wish I could help, but I have no first hand info for you. Too bad they've gone out of business. They made some great boats.

There's a charter business in the PNW that charters one. Google should find it. I bet they'd have some data for you.

Thank you dhays and FlyWright. The link to Harmony is great. I've looked at charter information in PNW, but they didn't have the speed information your link provided.

As for the layout, I didn't care for the up-galley at first, but I did like the center table with the helm right in the action. Overall, lay out has really grown on me. But most importantly, the commodore loves the layout.

IMG_1290.JPG

If anyone needs work done in the Seattle area, I'd like to recommend Mike Pickel (MPMarine, but he's changing the name to something like University Marine Boat Yard). He did great work on our new-to-us California 3900. He stayed within his quoted budget on the original work and was very conscientious about making sure the vessel was in good order. I wish all of our other boat yard experiences (other boats) had been half as good as our experiences with Mike.

Do you still own this boat

Hi there. I’m looking to make an offer on this exact boat. Do you still own yours. Would love to pick your brain.

Zevel,

Welcome to TF. We do still own the boat. (She is now in SF Bay Area). I saw your pm and responded to it. I’m happy to answer any questions you have—to the best of my ability.

AS, Great to hear you've got her here in the SF Bay. If you make it into the CA Delta sometime, look me up. I berth at Riverboat Marina and would love to see your model of Californian in person.

Best of luck with her!!

The charter boat is moored in Comox at the same marina as my boat. In fact this boat is roughly ten boats away from mine. I've looked at this boat from the exterior only but I liked the lines.

Side note. I haven't been able to use my boat for the last 6 weeks as dredging was being carried out in my marina. A couple of days ago, the dredge barge or whatever its called was departing and promptly tipped over and sank dumping fuel into the marina. Nothing like an exit with a bang.

AS, Great to hear you've got her here in the SF Bay. If you make it into the CA Delta sometime, look me up. I berth at Riverboat Marina and would love to see your model of Californian in person.

Best of luck with her!!

FW:

I’ve been wanting to get her up the Delta, but I’ve been a little trigger shy about doing it solo. Been to Benicia, but that isn’t the delta. The admiral has a distaste for the delta and getting non-family crew together during the pandemic has all of its various issues.

I will definitely get in touch when I do come explore.

Likewise, if you’re in the North or South Bay, we’d be happy to show her off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom