Painting bilge on a fiberglass hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somehow this is going right over my head. How would a fresh coat of paint do this? Wouldn't it be easier to see damage in a clean, one-consistent-color bilge vs. one with say four patchy, mis-matching previous coats? To me the latter would be visually cluttered and more likely dirty (harder to clean); so I'd be less likely to catch a problem.

Paint the bilge!

The cleaner and more uniform it is the easier to see problems. :banghead:

Just a follow up. Power washed the bilge and degreased. Used the Rustolum oil based enamel. Flowed out and covered beautifully. I’m sore it’s gonna be just fine. Had hatched opened and a fan blowing. Oil based fumes are potent. Nice to use real paint instead of that water based stuff.

I was surprised to recently learn that two of the yards I frequent now use oil base Rustoleum on just about everything. They complain that the formulation of all the notable marine 1 and 2 part paints (Interlux, Petit, Epifanes, etc.) have changed and are simply not what they used to be. Have seen the results of the Rustoleum sprayed and rolled & tipped and the results were impressive.

I have been working my way through the bilge and engine room on my 1973 Hatteras, degreasing and painting with Rustoleum Professional oil based paint mixed with Valspar hardener with excellent results.

A little more costly but I like using Brightside one part polyurethane. Bright white, covers well, tough finish, resists everything, cleans easily. If you don't like the high gloss add some flattening agent.

Used Rustoleum successfully in the bilge 4 or 5 years ago. Has held up well.

Interlux Bilge coat - The white finish was high gloss - looked so good - painted the rest of the exposed hull. Virtually impervious to all spills.

My current new-to-me is getting a new coat this spring. It has not been done in a while. Do try to remember however, it is the bilge you are painting.

Its a 1966 boat I seriously doubt they used 2 pac paint or anything fancy but straight oil based in 1966. Its been painted plenty of times since by previous owners. Its peeling in a few places. I've removed the loose paint. Whats left is tight.

As stated Before it is paint. Years of it since 1966. Enamel more than likely.
Just wondering what people have used in their bilge.

Just a follow up. Power washed the bilge and degreased. Used the Rustolum oil based enamel. Flowed out and covered beautifully. I’m sore it’s gonna be just fine. Had hatched opened and a fan blowing. Oil based fumes are potent. Nice to use real paint instead of that water based stuff.

Why ask if you're going to push back on everyone's suggestion and do the one thing you wanted to do, that nobody agreed with???

I agree with the bilge coat. I used it on my 1980 Bertram and it stood up well. Prep is key (clean)

on one more note... Rustloum was always used on steel as a pre coat I have been on tugs for over 40 years and that was what we used. If someone gave me a NEW can of it I would NEVER apply it to my fiberglass boat (or even a non-friend). As another member said it is oil based and not probably a good idea!

I was associated with the industrial coatings industry for many years. I have done bilges on 2 of my boats (after proper cleaning) with a 2 part epoxy coating. It requires very careful use practices, i.e. ventilation of combustible fumes, proper PPE for both skin and aspiration protection, but if you are willing to observe those requirements I will say the stuff is EXTREMELY durable and adheres tenaciously. I'm not making a comparison to any of the products suggested here, I just used it because I was familiar with it. With a professional discount, it can be had at most paint supply houses for a bout $90.00 for a 2 gallon kit. It also stores for a very long time as it doesn't "dry", it cures, and only when the 2 parts are mixed.

I've used 2-part vinylester on bilges with very good results. As stated above, you need to read the instructions for mixing, application and safe handling.

As the original responder, I stand by my original negative response to painting fiberglass bilge with oil-based paint. You WILL regret it.

I think ill be fine. 2nd time in 16 years. boat is a 1966. They did not use anything but oil based enamels back then.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom