Ozone Air Purifiers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
Does anyone have any manufacture recommendations for an ozone air purifier? Or do the even work. Just replaced my sanitation lines in my 44 Tollycraft and trying to get the smell out.

we bought a Breeze AT from EcoQuest at a boat show a few years ago when we bought this boat. their # is 423-638-7246
We had a similar issue with smells and thought that would solve the problem. I works ok when its running, but it just really masked the smell. When you shut it off, there it was. Either the factory or the previous owner installed a filter in the head vent line and it stopped oxygen from getting into the tank. Once i removed that, i flushed the holding tank with fresh water a few times and that did the trick and we no longer use the unit on the boat, just once in a while in my celler
John

If the sanitation lines have been there for a number of years...it would probably be best to replace them.....

I owned one of the first private, large scale models back in the 80s and I think they are snake oil and have read many articles saying breathing ozone is dangerous.

Pays your money and takes your chances...I do NOT recommend them.

the smart thing is to get rid of the odor producers and keep good fresh air flowing...smart and safe...

Rather than ozone, there are products intended to use enzymes to remove the source of odors. They are often marketed for cleaning up pet stains and smells but they can work on your boat as well as long as you can clean and then treat the areas.

I am going to be the dissenting opinion here, we have a quantum pure air purifier. It works great on our diesel odors, which we have been unable to cure in any other way. We run it on a lamp timer when we are away from the boat and turn it off when we board. Takes a week or so for the smells to get strong again.

I've had zero problems with any hose failures or rubber deodorization. Well worth the money.

It got good reviews from power boat reports or practical sailor, I can't remember which one it was.

I second Quantum.

But remember many boats will have passive ventilation, Dorade box , louvered doors ,,,,

The most rapid clearing of odors would require these to be closed for a couple of days.

FF

Thanks guys for the advice. The smell I presently have is from removing the old sanitation lines and having the holding tank and lines open during the process. I closed off the tank lines while removing the hoses, but still stuck the place up a bit. It may clear over time if I can keep the boat opened up.

As others have said, if you can remove the source of the smell you're much better off. With @Dougcole's diesel smell I'd be tempted to put in a small continuously running fan to the outside to create a slightly negative pressure in the engine space.

Ozone is effective for neutralizing odors, but it deteriorates some rubber products, just replaced my pss shaft seal bellows and the directions stated ozone machines will harm the bellows and could lead to premature cracking.

Considering all the hoses and belts and other rubber stuff in a boat, do not think any long term ozone treatment makes sense.

JohnP

Thanks guys for the advice. The smell I presently have is from removing the old sanitation lines and having the holding tank and lines open during the process. I closed off the tank lines while removing the hoses, but still stuck the place up a bit. It may clear over time if I can keep the boat opened up.

As I suggested, cleaning any surface that might have been contaminated with a "pet odor" enzyme product should solve your problem.

If you still think ozone is the best solution and you believe the odor is a "one time" thing from replacing the hoses, renting a commercial ozone generator for a few days is probably more cost effective than purchasing one for one time use.

"renting a commercial ozone generator for a few days is probably more cost effective than purchasing one for one time use."

For a liveaboard , where the boat is open and ventilated daily , perhaps.

For the older boat that is not in constant use the amazing variety of aromas can be kept sweet. That's why some ozone units are DC powered .

Thanks everyone for thier suggestions. I think I will see if I can find one to rent for a few days.

"renting a commercial ozone generator for a few days is probably more cost effective than purchasing one for one time use."

For a liveaboard , where the boat is open and ventilated daily , perhaps.

For the older boat that is not in constant use the amazing variety of aromas can be kept sweet. That's why some ozone units are DC powered .

Thinking about the reason the OP is looking for one (odor caused by replacing sanitation hoses), I suggested renting one.

The original owner of my boat had installed a small, expensive DC powered ozone generator. It didn't do much, I suspect it was broken. Anyway, I removed it. If you have odors, it's far better to fix the source than to try to eliminate or cover up the odors.

If you're in the Houston area, my company has one and does that service. One potent SOB!

Check out crystal aire in canada. We have two units, both great units.

"If you have odors, it's far better to fix the source than to try to eliminate or cover up the odors."

True , but the most common older boat odor is wood ROT , from a bunch of sources all small, all expen$ive to repair and all aromatic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom