Rosborough 44' North Shore Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcap

I am trying to find any information on this "2001 Rosborough 44' North Shore Trawler" the claim from sellers is "original owners commissioned North Shore Boats in Nova Scotia to build a 44' hull designed by James D. Rosborough for the Northumberland Strait fishing fleet. Once the hull, tanks, engine and hydraulic system were installed, the hull was moved to The Big Pond Boat Shop for the superstucture and final completion. Launched in 2002" Cant seem to find much on it.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-rosborough-44-north-shore-trawler-7075134/

anyone care to comment?

What sort of stuff are you expecting to find? It's a one-off built to a specific owner's requirement. Looks like it may have been done well.

I'm not familiar with the builders, but there have always been numerous shops turning out hulls in that area. I'd bet that they used old Rosborough molds. In any case they all built pretty bulletproof hulls for the fishing fleet.

Man that boat has been for sale for a long time, if it’s still the same owner selling. Seems like a good deal at first glance, but what the heck do I know! [emoji57]

jcap;

Think your best bet would be to contact Rosborough (Rosborough Boats, 902-450-3262, PO Box 70
Lakeside (Halifax), Nova Scotia, Canada B3T 1M6). While they are into totally different boat designs now they did design/construct the 35 and 44 Rosboroughs. I occasionally see some postings by 35 Rosborough owners on the Rosborough RF246 Owners website (https://groups.io/g/rosboroughrf246owners).

Hope this helps.

Leonard

Thank you guys, Anything will help! And yes it has been for sale for at least a year I know of. It does not seem to be built by Rosborough , but designed by James Rosborough and built by North Shore Boats in Nova Scotia. Anyone heard of them ? I will give a call to Rosborough Boats, 902-450-3262, PO Box 70
Lakeside (Halifax), Nova Scotia, Canada B3T 1M6)
cant hurt to try. I did see the boat, its been sitting and has definite cosmetic issues but looks like its built very well and has all commercial rigging and HD hardware.

Greetings,
Mr. jc. Seems like a nice vessel. The listing mentions "spacious ER" but no pictures. Also mentions 300HP John Deere but no mention of cruising or top speed.

It'd be worth getting in touch with these folks IMO. They may be able to steer you to someone who had been connected with North Shore boats.
https://nsboats.com/

Bluenosers are VERY friendly people and always willing to help out.

Thank you for replies!
Spent a few hours on the phone with several Nova Scotia yards, ship builders and Rothsborough Boats. The boat was designed by James Rothsborough, Deceased (some info on him on the net he designed several well known hulls). The hull was built by a small boat shop, "North Shore Boats" Nova Scotia. They built custom big water fishing boats, small shop owner retired. The Superstructure was custom built to owners specs by a separate shop, "little Pond Boat shop" Nova Scotia. I was lucky enough to get the owner Keith Nelder on the phone and he remembered the boat well. He claims it was definitely a solid hull with NO coring. The superstructure interior was built with all proper marine grade plywood, the deck and verticals have closed cell coring. I was told by several others that they are a high end custom shop still in business. All word of mouth info but at least it sounds positive. Power is Single John Deere 6081 AFM, 8.1L , 375 HP, and no info on speeds or fuel consumption. I pulled the trigger and in contract, working on the right surveyor team now

Jim Capie

Cool. Good luck.

I grew up in NS and came of age in the 1980s. Was into sailboats then and didn't pay that much attention to stinkpots, but that general hull type is very familiar to me. Hard to find fault. Easily driven and seaworthy, well protected prop and rudder.

Rosborough was pretty well known. He went by his middle name Doug, and they had a busy yard building wood boats into the 1970s. I remember a couple of big sailboats that were Rosborough design/build. They then built a lot of lobster-style glass boats in FG for fishing, commercial and pleasure. By 2000 I think they had moved on to other things.

That boat in profile looks like a Northumberland Straits style, but hard to tell from the pics. The original design probably had a straight sheerline back to an open cockpit.

I remember when that boat was being built. I think there was an article about it in Soundings or Passagemaker mag. I remember thinking the owners were kind of novices ,can't remember why

Never seen that model,almost bought the rf 35 but took the Willard instead,went and looked at RF-35 with cash in hand,but though the sedan layout would be better for my needs,if it had been the cf 35 would probably still taken the Willard but the CF and RF-35's are super nice and whoever ended up buying that boat got a beautiful rig,and are also hard to come by

Last edited:
Never seen that model,almost bought the rf 35 but took the Willard instead,went and looked at RF-35 with cash in hand,but though the sedan layout would be better for my needs, basically tons of fishing, but that RF-35 is a super nice setup and whoever ended up buying that boat got a beautiful rig,and are also hard to come by

Its not a "model".. It was a standard R44 hull , moved to a custom boat builder with owners wishes, and desires built. Big Pond Boat shop will do whatever the customer wants...Like most custom boat shops. Not a knock on Big pond at all.

I am trying to find any information on this "2001 Rosborough 44' North Shore Trawler" the claim from sellers is "original owners commissioned North Shore Boats in Nova Scotia to build a 44' hull designed by James D. Rosborough for the Northumberland Strait fishing fleet. Once the hull, tanks, engine and hydraulic system were installed, the hull was moved to The Big Pond Boat Shop for the superstucture and final completion. Launched in 2002" Cant seem to find much on it.
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-rosborough-44-north-shore-trawler-7075134/

anyone care to comment?

Hi there, I see it has been handed off to Natl liquidators for sale/ bid, just curious what you may have discovered?? I was/ possibly am Interested in this boat, wood damage from water leaks looks extensive but repairable. If you could share any info and possibly save me some pain I would be in your debt!!!
Ryan

I bought this boat from Pier One. The pictures that Pier One showed were very flattering, if you look carefully they just avoided the damaged areas, the current posted pictures are an HONEST representation of the condition of the boat. It is a regular broker listing with Nat Liq, I dont want to waste any ones time so I posted fresh honest pics. The boat started a year ago at $219,000 it went to $119,000 over the year. It was in contract in December 2020 for an undisclosed number when a survey valued it at $110,000 and the buyer backed out. I made a lowball offer and after negotiating with a desperate seller, I bought it for $82,000. The Hull is solid fiberglass no coring. The cabin is fiberglass over marine plywood not cored. The windows all need re-bedding some need replacement. The teak and holly floor around the settee needs replacing. The walls have some wet areas from leaking windows but its not cored so repair will not require fiberglass work. All exterior trim needs refinish but the teak is in good shape. Anchor pulpit needs replacement, Bimini top needs replacement. The john Deere runs well, could not verify the hours but was told about 3500. The genset has less than 100 hrs and runs well. It def needs work but has good bones. Full Keel great prop and rudder protection, large rudder, large hydraulic bow thruster , large hydraulic anchor winch. A December 2020 Survey valued it at $110,000. I piloted the boat from Punta Gorda to North Palm, through Okeechobee, it ran great. This was my loop dream boat. I have already started ordering parts, some windows arrived. Health issues have changed my plans. I know nobody believes in an "honest" boat seller but thats the true history. The broker might not like I replied to this but I want an honest sale, this boat really needs a good home.
And yes you can call Greg Postel at Pier One Yacht Sales at 954-628-5404 he will confirm

Last edited:
Thank you for the honest reply,
Do you have any fuel consumption/ performance numbers?
Also, is the exterior helm functional/ easy to see forward from?
It looks kind of high?

Thank you for the honest reply,
Do you have any fuel consumption/ performance numbers?
Also, is the exterior helm functional/ easy to see forward from?
It looks kind of high?

The rear helm is fully functional including proportional bow thruster control and a small multifunctional display , I use it in open water and it’s excellent for docking , they visibility of the very front of the bow is not great , I think the rear helm windshield was added, I would consider removing it for south Florida , the boat was designed for North Atlantic. On the trip from west coast to east coast I ran 1550rpm 10 mph , my gps had the trip just over 200 miles and I estimate 115 gals of fuel , including the generator, I ran the gen set the whole trip, it just had the impeller changed and I wanted to be sure no overheat issues, it ran well

I kind of hope any potential new owners read between the lines of my post and mesh that with Jcaps' ownership... The original article in soundings will reveal a lot...

This is a great forum and i know this area is not for sales so I will not post any more in this thread. I only replied because someone made a comment. If anyone wishes more info contact the broker and or PM me. Since Sailor of Fortune posted the link i will mention an error and omission...

Fuel Capacity- 480 US gallon in all stainless tanks with polishing filters
Fresh water - 200 US gallon
Grey water holding- 62 US gallon
Black water holding- 62 US gallon

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom