a reminder of why we "deal" with owning boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiisted71

Guru
Today was an absolutely perfect day on the water. Went up to Cabbage Key for a burger.

img_87943_0_fa60d5a83e47cb55c0da55a813b0bb17.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

For sure I sometimes forget why we suffer thru some of the crap.

One day brother, one day.

At what point did you fall overboard with your waterproof camera? :D

Looks like a great day!!

Not a bad day for a ride!

img_87959_0_9c8f03058e0115c8ee82145ea7014210.jpg

Not a bad place for lunch!

img_87959_1_7adcfe2d8102b32fe2d282dd21fde701.jpg

wall paper needs some work though!

img_87959_2_4a1c6469f38be4c1628a2ddc5a960d0f.jpg

Last edited:
Pelican Bay Cayo Costa NP at sunrise

img_96958_0_b4b046f7629c8f57806b1bfeda32f89f.jpg

img_96958_1_b61cab9ac9dbd7adfe72e50d5dcc5d47.jpg

during the trip home. faint rainbow in middle of pic. wicked black clouds
img_96958_2_f6f7fac25fbdd40d3b06e282e25536ba.jpg

Last edited:
Lou in her favorite spot at Cayo Costa Pelican Bay. Then Lou and Don on the bow at sunset.

img_96983_0_17c0689b324b8bda7bb6654278d4d5b1.jpg

img_96983_1_ea7c0a081a89fe5d106604e73dadf30b.jpg

counting down to heading to the boat tomorrow after work. Missed a weekend last weekend and am really missing the boat! Having the boat makes working worthwhile (more or less). :)

Photo was taken from Al's boat at the end of 4th of July week. What a great week that was. Ten fun filled days on the boat!

Attachments

• 2012-07-06 12.46.42.jpg
    2012-07-06 12.46.42.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 131
counting down to heading to the boat tomorrow after work. Missed a weekend last weekend and am really missing the boat! Having the boat makes working worthwhile (more or less). :)

Photo was taken from Al's boat at the end of 4th of July week. What a great week that was. Ten fun filled days on the boat!

You get it, Jennifer. That's why we do it. Those that don't anchor, I think, are missing the best part of boating.

Don- that second picture of you all on the bow...I am fairly certain that if the camera was in front of you all we would be seeing Lou with charts in hand showing you which way you need to go to so as to stop being lost and going north when you meant to be going south. ;)

Twiisted- great pictures of your mainship- looks like a wonderful time.

Don- that second picture of you all on the bow...I am fairly certain that if the camera was in front of you all we would be seeing Lou with charts in hand showing you which way you need to go to so as to stop being lost and going north when you meant to be going south. ;)

Twiisted- great pictures of your mainship- looks like a wonderful time.

Tony, the conversation went like this. Me: "I think it's this way". Lou: "No, I think it's that way". etc, etc, etc.

By the way, that is a Sabre-----not a Mainship. Just for the record.

By the way, Twisted being located on Charlotte Harbor is located in my opinion one of the top cruising areas in the US. He is within easy reach of everything from Marco/Naples to Tarpon Springs. He can day cruise to Punta Gorda, Boca Grande, Cayo Costa, Pine Island, Cabbage Key, Captiva(Southseas/Tween Waters), Sanibel (Grandmas Dot's) for lunch. A weekender can include Venice, Ft Myers Beach, and several anchorages. It is a wonderful area. To my mind better than the Keys in winter because the wind doesn't blow like the Keys. Hopefully, we will return in a few years.

Moonstruck anchored in Boca Grande Canal

img_97035_0_3dc46fd35cc995d920c54512a300ba48.jpg

Last edited:
Legend has it that Cabbage Key is where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheeseburger in Paridise". I think those photo's count as paridise
John

Here's one of my favorite cruising pix. From Shell Island Anchorage near Port Arthur, TX.

Attachments

• Contraband Days 2006 322.jpg
    Contraband Days 2006 322.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 121
Legend has it that Cabbage Key is where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheeseburger in Paridise". I think those photo's count as paridise
John

Sorry, Buffet wrote that song in Roadtown, BVI. Several places claim the honor, and there are many more places rumored to. One is Pirates Cove between Perdido and Wolf Bays Alabama.

Well, I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and French fried potatos
Big Kosher pickle and a cold draft beer

Jimmy Buffet

From a long standing Parrot Head here.

You're right; I just looked it up. i could have sworn I saw Cabbage Key written in one of his books or CD notes (and album jackets). Anyway the photo's are great and I think i'll anchor out somewhere this weekend and have one
John

Nothing like those $100 burgers.

You're right; I just looked it up. i could have sworn I saw Cabbage Key written in one of his books or CD notes (and album jackets). Anyway the photo's are great and I think i'll anchor out somewhere this weekend and have one
John

Good for you, John. I wish I could be at the boat this week. Take some pics to show us. Looks like you are a Buffet fan. He is not a great singer, but you can't be sad listening to his music.

I will say that Cabbage Key has one of the best cheese burgers around. Another great cheeseburger is on Daufuskie Island, SC at Jack's grill in the golf club house at Melrose.

Let's go cruising!

All food tastes better when checking the oil in the boat is a prerequisite to go get it!

PNW, can't get much better than this!

Attachments

• IMG_4572.jpg
    IMG_4572.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 112
PNW, can't get much better than this!

Couldn't agree more. Only Marin won't let anymore people in. Maine is great. Long Island/naraganset area is great. The Chesapeake is great. The ICW is great. The Keys are great. SW Florida is great. That;s what I love about this country. So much to see. So much to do.

Only Marin won't let anymore people in.

That's right. Gate's closed.

I like the third photo. I'm inclined to think it's Princess Louisa although I've never seen it from this angle on the water.

But more interesting to me is the boat in the foreground. I've seen it before, not in person but I think in a photo on this forum. IIRC it was put up by old fishboat guy in a thread about fishboat conversions. I was so impressed by it I downloaded the photo and added it to my library of boats. Best looking conversion I've ever seen.

On a side note for the PNW guys. Since your water is so cold is marine growth on the hull/running gear a big issue out there?

Nsail- those are awesome pictures! LOVE the one of the trawler in the mist. That is truly one of the best trawler shots I've seen in a while. I like the lines on your boat- looks super nice.

Last edited:
TWii thank you for starting this thread. It is nice to come look at beautiful photos and take a little break! And now I have Jimmy Buffet songs in my head. I agree with Don, JB is an awful singer but he sure sings good songs. :)

Marin, you are correct on both counts - It is Princess Louisa Inlet, and the boat is a converted 1952 seiner, the Cape Ross. The pictures don't do it justice, as its a beautiful, beautiful boat. And, the people on it were extremely nice. You can find more info on it at capeross.com

I've attached another picture of it (sorry about missing the bow in this shot).

And Woodsong - thanks for the compliments. We love this boat! I've also included a shot of Chatterbox Falls, which is the source of the mist.

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 112
On a side note for the PNW guys. Since your water is so cold is marine growth on the hull/running gear a big issue out there?

Yes but the rate of growth is probably way slower than on boats in warmer waters and with longer, sunnier days.

Back
Top Bottom