Gloucester liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Mass goin into deep freeze for weekend,calling for 40 out of the nw,with wind chill -11° with 60% chance of snow,gonna be good test for Chinese diesel heater and my Insulation job in foc'sle got r value up to 16,also replaced head liner with reflectix

Here....you may need some of this to help keep you warm.....

Attachments

• FollyRum.jpg
    FollyRum.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 19
Looks like you will have another foul weather test coming in a few days. Good luck and stay warm.

You'd think the chart in the background would be Folly Cove rather than Boston.. Go figure..

I grabbed the picture from an article about the Boston Molasses Disaster* because I liked that picture, hence the Boston background. The label on the bottle shows Folly Cove though.

*In 1919 a 2.3 million gallon tank of molasses ruptured sending a 50 foot high wave of molasses through the north end of Boston killing 21 and injuring hundreds.

Gloucester would be an awesome place to liveaboard. Maybe not in dead of winter but the rest of the time yes.. We had a house in Rockport for 35 years...Miss "the other cape"

LostSailor13,
Good luck. My W30 Nomad requires the Wabasto run constantly to maintain reasonable temp when below freezing. Not surprising as the boat has no insulation and the “Baby Wab” is the smallest they make. My mistake ... bought too small.
But if your Wabby is sized right you should be cozy warm. May drink some fuel though. You can call Sure Marine in Seattle and from your heater size they can tell you what a constant run burn is and from there (judging by % of time running) “usually” a fairly accurate burn rate can be had. I suspect that the Wabasto is the most fuel efficient in this type of heater but Espar should be the same.

Gloucester would be an awesome place to liveaboard. Maybe not in dead of winter but the rest of the time yes.. We had a house in Rockport for 35 years...Miss "the other cape"

Jack,

My sister and her family has lived in Rockport for nearly 30 years. They restored a home that had been in her husbands family for over 150 years.

We spent a lot of time there during the restoration and have been there several times by boat. Love the 4th of July bonfire.

Rob

Jack,

My sister and her family has lived in Rockport for nearly 30 years. They restored a home that had been in her husbands family for over 150 years.

We spent a lot of time there during the restoration and have been there several times by boat. Love the 4th of July bonfire.

Rob

Did you redo the floors for them?.. Lots of really nice oooold homes in Rockport. like many other places in New England. It was a great place to spend summers growing up. Our house was on Long Beach. The downside of waterfront home ownership is real too. We lost the front of our house in the blizzard of 78 and again on halloween storm (Perfect storm 1991) Great memories... I spent most of my teen years and later in Gloucester...getting into mischief. Spent a few years there after I got out of Coast Guard too.

Hi Jack,

I did them all and a lot of other work as well. Always like going up there even if it is free work for the family. The house is near the top of King St.

Rob

Hi Jack,

I did them all and a lot of other work as well. Always like going up there even if it is free work for the family. The house is near the top of King St.

Rob

I know those floors are gorgeous! I'm sure the rest of the work is great as well. Free work for family has other rewards. Kudos to you. Nice location for your sis..

My heater is not webasto I have happybuy Chinese diesel heater lol,and being at the commercial dock I have my 50amp service but also use the plugs on other side of power pole I bought the 30amp to 120v plugs and run 3 space heaters off it for free,lol Ihave 1 heater in insulated foc'sle which is more than enough usually leave porthole open,another heater on oil pan,and one in salon,haven't even needed happybuy chinese heater till these past few days in the single digits,it just makes the boat so dry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom