Aluminum Semi-Displacement Catamaran Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So now that you have had the boat for some time, how are you enjoying it?

In hindsite, I believe my patience and courtesy was used against me.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know, Bkay! How are you and your family doing, and have you been able to enjoy your fabulous vessel much?

Our boat has been on the hard under a big roof, with a Danby dehumidifier keeping her cabin and stateroom nice and dry, since March. We've been running the outboards once a month, and they still start right up and purr. We are hoping to take a short cruise soon, perhaps for a week, as soon as it cools down a bit more here.

And Lordy, your comment about your patience and courtesy being used against you... really brought back "grrrr" memories of our boat build.

For a long time, I thought that I needed to quit being courteous and patient, because, well, look where it got me.

But in the past year, it seems as if courtesy and patience are fraying all around us at a time when they are most needed. So I resolved to be even more courteous and patient.

Plus, I was raised to be that way, and I imagine you were, too. It's ingrained in us. So now I think, just take the lesson learned and keep it in the back of my mind moving forward. Because the vast majority of people are good.

Cheers and Stay Safe,
Mrs. Trombley

Thanks for asking! I've got to separate my opinions between my disgust for the original builder (who I could not think less of) and for the boat. Just focusing on the boat - so far all of the construction shortcomings are things that I've been able to address one-by-one with the careful application of heat and money. I've not found anything that couldn't be addressed and simply chalked up to "warranty issues" (although, there is no one around to honor the warranty).

I'm happy with the design and most of my equipment choices. Layout has been very well received - my wife is not a boater and she gave me the best compliment "it's not as bad as I expected it would be". And I've been very pleased with handling, particularly close quarters maneuvering.

Engines are broken in and not yet broken, so I guess that's good. In hindsight, I might have opted for cheaper Yanmars over the John Deeres. Especially since I understand the original builder never fully paid for the engines although I paid him - that left me with a much higher pucker factor over how to get the engine sea trialed and warrantied (although I was able to eventually work it out more or less). But at least I know the engines will outlast me. But at my age, a quart of milk might outlast me.

I do find the additional wetted surface area of a catamaran makes keeping a clean bottom a lot more critical than on my traditional downeast hulls. It seems like a little bit of fuzz on the bottom makes a much greater impact than on a built-down workboat hull of similar length. With a dirty bottom, I easily loose several knots of cruising speed and I drop below 1 NMPG when I'm in the teens.

Overall, I certainly wouldn't do it again, and there's no one in North Carolina I'd want to build me a boat. But I do appreciate a steady platform with robust commercial construction and commercial grade engines. As with any boat, there are bugs to be worked out. But running around yesterday on a cold, foggy afternoon in a toasty warm pilothouse and a comfortable displacement speed made me smile. (Regarding the photo - Tiffany Yachts didn't build my boat - I hold the guys at Tiffany in high regard. That just happened to be the only picture I took when the fog started rolling in.)

Best of luck Miz Trom. Post Construction Stress Disorder is real. As they say in the military - if you find yourself in a swamp, don't focus on how you got there, figure out how your going to get out.

Attachments

• Tiffany.jpg
    Tiffany.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 30
An interesting boat that sure looks like it can get it done.
Interesting on how boatbuilders vary by region. I'm in the PNW and there are probably 6 aluminum boatbuilders that I'd trust within an hour of me. It's the favored material for all the small boat commercial fisheries in WA, BC and AK

Yes, inquiring minds want to know, Bkay! How are you and your family doing, and have you been able to enjoy your fabulous vessel much?

For a long time, I thought that I needed to quit being courteous and patient, because, well, look where it got me.

Thanks Miz Tromb, we are doing fine. I know what you've been through and I hope your doing OK as well.

I have to admit, coming from a career in Special Operations, I subscribe to GEN Mattis' philosophy of "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet".

Well, maybe I don't take that last part literally, but I did sense something was wrong pretty early in the process and started recording (where legal) all my conversations with the owner and the representatives of the company so there can be no doubt who made what representations and when. I may never use those recordings, but old habits die hard.

Interesting on how boatbuilders vary by region. I'm in the PNW and there are probably 6 aluminum boatbuilders that I'd trust within an hour of me. It's the favored material for all the small boat commercial fisheries in WA, BC and AK

Yes, it's funny how regional different construction materials can be. I had a hard time finding aluminum builders on the East coast and I get a lot of funny looks here. I'd blend right in on the West coast.

Yes, it's funny how regional different construction materials can be. I had a hard time finding aluminum builders on the East coast and I get a lot of funny looks here. I'd blend right in on the West coast.

I'm not sure that boat would blend in anywhere, that was meant as a compliment.

As some of us have discovered the path of custom boat production is not one that should be taken by the faint of heart. Even the best builders have huge challenges and rarely, if ever, hit their deadlines. My project is 13 months into a 6 month build. Even with a 3 month Covid closure doesn’t come close to covering the delay. Just hoe it is I guess........

As some of us have discovered the path of custom boat production is not one that should be taken by the faint of heart...

That's a true statement! I think I got spoiled having a wooden boat built in Maine. Everyone I dealt with up there seemed to be an artist with integrity and a concern for their reputation. I didn't find anything like that in the workboat world.

Although I met a couple solid welders in NC who now have their own mobile welding service. They are the only guys down there that I'd do business with in the future. If anyone needs aluminum or steel welding in NC, let me know and I can put you in touch with them.

Hang in there Larmex. I've got my fingers crossed they get you squared away in short order!

My cat is finally finished! Sea trials are complete and Nomad is ready to head home to Alaska in May, Covid restrictions permitting. The attached pics are loading sideways and my limited skills prevent me from getting them loaded as they were taken, straight up. I have some more details on short videos that I will send on request by PM.

Attachments

• 1626308F-B9D7-44FE-8BCC-895BE7EEA327.jpeg
    1626308F-B9D7-44FE-8BCC-895BE7EEA327.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 27
  • 0D2B69BC-F513-4EDA-B233-9535C47531C9.jpeg
    0D2B69BC-F513-4EDA-B233-9535C47531C9.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 28
  • AA46CE91-3F0E-4600-8BEE-1DA44C6CCE5F.jpg
    AA46CE91-3F0E-4600-8BEE-1DA44C6CCE5F.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 25
  • EC99DE7A-C01D-4B32-9146-579B76ABD9F1.jpeg
    EC99DE7A-C01D-4B32-9146-579B76ABD9F1.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 6766C645-39A9-44A8-940A-2220E952776A.jpeg
    6766C645-39A9-44A8-940A-2220E952776A.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 25
  • EEB04B55-4A07-46CA-944A-AC34894BB795.jpeg
    EEB04B55-4A07-46CA-944A-AC34894BB795.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 49793367-E47C-4379-8B93-940C30C37132.jpeg
    49793367-E47C-4379-8B93-940C30C37132.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 25
  • C542AE8F-0107-4A4B-9321-C113899C7F3E.jpeg
    C542AE8F-0107-4A4B-9321-C113899C7F3E.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 24
  • BA9D51E6-7E58-4991-9382-C4DE67FD08C5.jpeg
    BA9D51E6-7E58-4991-9382-C4DE67FD08C5.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 30379D5E-77E3-42A3-87C3-E0FD3353CF47.jpg
    30379D5E-77E3-42A3-87C3-E0FD3353CF47.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for continuing to post updates and pictures through all this. You’ve saved quite a few of us from ordering a new boat, because even the big builders will deliver a vessel with a lot of problems.

Boat looks extremely seaworthy, the helm is exceptionally great design and the red/ green layout looks functional and beautiful.
Richard
Vicem 58 classic
Branford, CT

Sturdy looking boat. 3 S/R 2 heads, galley with full size refrige and freezer?
What size gen?

Last edited:
6kw NL gen, 2 SR, 2 heads, 1/2 fridge, huge freezer. In Prince William Sound we pick up glacier ice for coolers and hardly use the fridge. Small gen but 600 AH house bank. My previous boat had a 9kw but it was hard to load it enough to keep it happy.

Love the color matching gauges to the side of the boat! Fancy!! She’s a sharp boat. Where was she built? Overall dimensions?

The builder was Armstrong Marine in Port Angeles, WA. They changed their name to Brix Marine mid build. She is 42’6” x 16’. Displacement is 16T. The extended wait was partly due to Covid but the building process is not quick, like a year. One of our members, Bkay, was a big help and kept me from getting too wrapped up in the process and concentrating on the goal. Much respect for him.

6kw NL gen, 2 SR, 2 heads, 1/2 fridge, huge freezer. In Prince William Sound we pick up glacier ice for coolers and hardly use the fridge. Small gen but 600 AH house bank. My previous boat had a 9kw but it was hard to load it enough to keep it happy.

NIIIIICE!!!

Heads have separate shower compartments?
Reverse cycle A/C

I wish! Nope, they are wet heads. Just not enough room with two heads. Pretty roomy though with 6’8” ceiling height.

I wish! Nope, they are wet heads. Just not enough room with two heads. Pretty roomy though with 6’8” ceiling height.

In my case, the 6'8" ceiling height is wasted on me. I am only 5'7" :D

Hmmm, wet heads? Bummer. One of the things that sold me on the AT was the separate shower compartment. Remember, I had previously owned a Nordhavn 46. SIGH I learned the advantage of separate shower compartments, with seat. Alas the AT34/36 does not have a bench.

Last edited:
I’m 5’7” too but have a few long friends. There are trade-offs as you are obviously aware. Private head on a long trip is a luxury that I really appreciate. Nice to be able to spray it down rather than scrub it too.

I’m 5’7” too but have a few long friends. There are trade-offs as you are obviously aware. Private head on a long trip is a luxury that I really appreciate. Nice to be able to spray it down rather than scrub it too.

If you make your guest too comfortable, they will never leave. :rofl:

My cat is finally finished! Sea trials are complete and Nomad is ready to head home to Alaska in May...

I can't tell you how pleased I was to see this post! It looks like they did a great job and from our emails, it sounds like your performance is as good or better than mine...and I've been please with the design and performance.

Well done, shipmate. Well done!

She is 42’6” x 16’. Displacement is 16T.

Wow, that's a big girl! I assume the tons are 2,000lb tons?

I'm at 22,000 pounds - so you'd be 45% larger by tonnage? Holy cow! You've got great performance for that kind of displacement!

I am using standard displacement which includes full water, fuel and supplies under normal conditions. That means roughly 8000# added to the 24,800 dry weight. Make more sense now?

Joining this thread only to express my admiration for the two builds described. Building something like one of your two boats is my dream.

Bkay: I would really like to know what the handling of your vessel is like in rough weather – you have a lot of windage, and I would love to know how this vessel handles 3 to 4 m swells, particularly off the beam. Wingspan is beautiful.

I'd love to tell you, but I've not been in 4 m swells. We don't have swells worth mentioning in the Chesapeake - this photo is an example of our typical storm surge. However, I'd guess if the swell period was reasonably long, it would be a non-event regardless of direction. You'd feel the up and down motion but no heeling.

Now a 2 meter chop could be a significant emotional event regardless of direction. I've run in 1+ meter (maybe a bit more) short, choppy waves and it requires altering course for comfort. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she ran with choppy waves, particularly given her smallish rudders. But in my area, choppy waves tend to be close together and when you dial in the right speed it's fairly comfortable. This is a case where faster is more comfortable than slower if you can pick a course that allows it. I'd say this cat's performance in choppy conditions is about as good as the larger lobster boats I've run (in the 35 to 37' range) and a fair bit better than the smaller lobster boats. But at a 37.5' waterline length, 14' beam, and 25,000 lbs displacement, that's not particularly surprising.

Oh, and just kidding about the storm surge photo - it's usually much calmer than that.

Attachments

• Smith Island.jpg
    Smith Island.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks, Bkay; and it looks like that here today too, but they don't call this place "Windy Point" for nothing! Thanks for replying; that's very helpful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom