Definition of trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks to have been one heck of a well planned, through exterior conversion. Love the extra height and flare at the prow

Was it accomplished by previous owner? Bet she has a stout hull!

Previous owner bought her as a retired trawler in 2000 and did a 800nm trip south where he and 4 other vessels parked side by side and with supervision by a master shipwright and various trades 5 boats were converted at the same time.

Our Milkraft @ 60 and a McLaren @ 55 (Santa Barbara) owned by the supervising master shipwright had same same superstructure, both were re- engined and extensive mechanicals done before the new superstructure went on.
Both were done as long term liveaboard cruisers, ours apparently for heading up around the very remote top of Australia so ticked most of our boxes.
Unfortunately for the previous owner, none of that eventuated and she rarely moved once completed.

Hull on ours is all 2 inch thick spotted gum.
Very fortunate to have got her.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15499608548289086.jpg
    FB_IMG_15499608548289086.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_15499608886689098.jpg
    FB_IMG_15499608886689098.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for some background. Sounds like you got hold of a damn near perf condition, completely refurbished, basically billet proof LR cruiser.

If I were to go for a wooden boat... yours would be high in competition!

Thanks for some background. Sounds like you got hold of a damn near perf condition, completely refurbished, basically billet proof LR cruiser.

If I were to go for a wooden boat... yours would be high in competition!

Exterior cosmetically she's a bit tired, desperate for new paint on the top half, but that's an enamel, brush and roller job, exterior varnish is totally shot but I like paint and plywood bulwarks need repairing again but as they are only cosmetic I am thinking of replacing them with a product called signex when next out of the water

Signex Foam PVC
Signex® is similar to a PVC Foam product but with far superior quality for more demanding applications. The manufacturing process results in a "skinning" or outer layer of the foam board creating a harder, smoother and more scratch resistant surface along with increased mechanical performance.

Signex® is a very strong, durable and light weight product that will not rot or delaminate like other products making it perfect for the signage and building industries.

Signex® is very chemical resistance and can be handled and worked with like many other building products such as timber. It can be routered, glued, filled, sanded and painted with standard woodworking tools whilst providing an improved surface finish.

signex-foamed-pvc-au.jpg

Works out to about the same price in raw material as plywood but as it doesnt need epoxy or glass and can be attached with sikaflex and is already white, I am thinking it will be a cheaper and better solution in the long run.

Last edited:
You can if you communicate to the vast majority of boaters, brokers, surveyors, bridge tenders, other commercial guys along the US eastern seaboard and want them to more easily pick out your boat if it's one of the more accepted looks.

At least that's my experience and based on internet sales listings...seems to have caught on pretty well over the last 40+ years.

Anywhere on the Gulf Coast, you say "trawler" and they think shrimpboat. And it is important as we live and boat on one of the busiest ports in the world. If you call your pleasureboat "trawler", you will likely be misidentified!

60 - Items mentioned needing a good spruce-up in post 393 seem to due to be 20+/- yrs. of age and hardy use.

Pretty much to be expected on a boat of any material composition. Some materials are a bit easier to work with... some not so much. Sounds like your big baby has just the general effects of 2 decades being wood. Enjoy your results!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom