Star Board Tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Does anyone know where I can get 3/4 inch Star Board in the Portland OR/Seattle WA area? :flowers:

Try Fisheries Supply in Seattle or LFS in Bellingham.

Does anyone know where I can get 3/4 inch Star Board in the Portland OR/Seattle WA area? :flowers:

Thick pieces and colored pieces I've only had luck ordered and having delivered.

Google show that Tap Plastics in both Portland & Seattle sell it, maybe a phone call to see if they have it is stock or you have to order it.......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Fisheries shows 3/4" Thick Starboard® Sheet - White 24" x 54" (1/4 Sheet) in stock.

I've gotten it at TAP Plastics.

Commercial Plastics in Seattle seems to have the best pricing and they generally can cut it either while you wait or before you come pick it up...

https://www.commercialplasticscorp.com/

For reference, I just bought a 60"x20"x3/4" non-skid sheet for about $19.50 a sqft...

I second TAP Plastics and they will fab too

+1 for Tap. They will cut to spec, round edges, etc if you want and only charge by the size (not sheet).

Tom, should I call Kay to write all that down so you'll remember it all tomorrow?

Are you going to mount your electric downriver to it?

I have bought a lot of solid and expanded pvc from Calsak in Portland. Never asked about Starboard.

Commercial Plastics in Seattle seems to have the best pricing and they generally can cut it either while you wait or before you come pick it up...

For reference, I just bought a 60"x20"x3/4" non-skid sheet for about $19.50 a sqft...

Good tip thanks! I just paid over $100 incl shipping for 2' x 1' of 1 inch online. ~alan

Tom, should I call Kay to write all that down so you'll remember it all tomorrow?

Are you going to mount your electric downriver to it?
Oh bla bla LOL [emoji38]

Commercial Plastics is were we get all our acrylic, polycarbonate, HDPE (starboard) or ABS plastic. They are half the price of TAP plastics.

I just bought some 1/4" Starboard on Amazon. It was delivered fast and the price was reasonable (although honestly, I didn't shop around.)

question on starboard.
Do you think this product is suitable to create a flat floor in a fibreglass dingy. If so, what thickness for a 2 foot span

question on starboard.
Do you think this product is suitable to create a flat floor in a fibreglass dingy. If so, what thickness for a 2 foot span

Great idea. I wouldn't know. I am using 3/4 inch as it doesn't flex (much). I would round the edges.

question on starboard.

3/4" over a 2' span would definitely flex, even more so depending on length. If you could use a piece to brace the center line, then you should be good. The stuff is easy to bond together...

Starboard would do fine. It has good UV resistance and can be cut or routed like wood. It is a high density product so it is heavy relative to many products like wood but it’s not affected by fresh or salt water unlike wood.

question on starboard.
The weight would be horrific

This would be so much better, reinforced air.

https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/product/pp-honeycomb-panel/

There are bound to be mobs in the US doing pre glassed panels

Fiberglass-PP-Honeycomb-Panel-FRP-Sandwich-Wall-Insulated-Panel.jpg

The weight being horrific would depend on how long it is. I second the idea of using a piece in the middle to hold the middle up and stop some of the flex. Also they make Starboard in non skid version for just like that usage. Maybe even a 1/2” floor with some braces would cut down on both weight and cost. As to bonding it, it takes a special caulking type of gun to do it. So I would just use screws to put it together. Maybe 1/2” for the deck and 3/4” for the braces since 1/2” sometimes cracks when you screw into the edge. You need to drill pilot holes for screws.

The weight would be horrific

This would be so much better, reinforced air.

https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/product/pp-honeycomb-panel/

There are bound to be mobs in the US doing pre glassed panels

Fiberglass-PP-Honeycomb-Panel-FRP-Sandwich-Wall-Insulated-Panel.jpg

Rather than use the honeycomb panels, use nidacore since it is closed cell foam and if cracked would not absorb water. the weight would be almost as light as honeycomb, but you could chamfer the edges and wrap fiberglass around the edges easier than cutting back the honeycomb and filling them to make a clean radiused edge that could be fiberglass wrapped. Cut to size, route over the edges and put a couple of layers of glass on both sides, wrapped around the edges and you'll have a durable floor for a dinghy.

Or get a pre-fab panel cut to size and all you have to do is protect the edges. Depends on your abilities, working tools and time on hand.

Tom...Laird Plastics has a pretty good assortment of different plastic board options, and their sales staff is very knowledgeable. There are stores in Portland, Seattle and Spokane. I’ve ordered online, which works well when I know exactly what I want. When I’m not sure what the best options are...I go down to Laird.

Another +1 for Tap Plastics. Just got a piece there and they shaped, too. Not cheap stuff, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom