View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
See answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

1. How deep can you stick a hook and expect it to hold? How much rode does the average 35-45 foot trawler carry? How much of that is chain?

3:1 (the one being water depth plus bow height over water) is the absolute minimum. I routinely try to anchor in 5:1 and more if windy.

2. I assume that it's considered in poor taste to anchor in certain areas, but what are they? IOW, can you anchor right near a marina or is that considered poor form?

Some jurisdictions have legal limits (Annapolis being one) but generally follow common sense.

3. Are there areas marked on charts or cruising guides that show the appropriate spots?

Garmin Active Captain marks most decent anchorages, decent includes being protected from the wind.

4. How tough is it to sleep on the hook when the water is "less than calm"?

20 knots or higher and I have a tough time sleeping. More concern for dragging than noise.

5. Is it a dick-headed move to anchor near other vessels (because of swing and noise)?

You try to leave enough room. Sometimes it is tough when wind pushes against tidal current and boats are swinging every which way.

6. Do you have wind limits? IOW, if the winds are forecast at or above X, the swing or roll will be heinous?

I wouldn't consciously anchor out in 25+ K winds if I had a choice. Heavy wind causes pitching plus some roll and swing.

7. Do you LOSE anchors due to them getting stuck between hard rocks in deep water? Do you carry a spare?

Never lost one, but came close once or twice. Not rocks but trash on bottom. I keep a spare.
David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote