View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #19
Circumnavigator

City: West Newbury.
Vessel Name: none
We use this stuff
https://www.mcmaster.com/structural-...-and-fittings/
for all sorts of things on the boat -- rails around engine, dinghy flag pole, workbench in engine room, shower curtain rods strong enough to be grabbed, storage racks, swim platform ladder. It's not quite as elegant as a welded stainless one piece rail, but in the engine room, so what? You can get it in aluminum or galvanized. If you want it easy to take apart, you can substitute wing screws for the allen heads it comes with.

Incidentally, For those who who don't know McMaster Carr (the site linked above), you should. Their paper catalog runs 4,000 pages of fine print, but I never use it because the web site is very good. They stock 40,000 different fastenings (among perhaps 400,000 other things) and sell them in convenient packages that come out around $5-15. so you don't have to buy 100 when you need five. They ship same day up for orders placed up to about 6:30PM. Over the years, I've ordered over 4,000 line items and they've made only two mistakes. They are often not the low price vendor (although their shipping charges are very low), but they are so very convenient they are by far my most important vendor.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote