Very sad experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vadim

Vessel Name
Libra
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
We stayed at the MYC (Maryland Yacht club) as transient for 3 month during the summer of 2020 and absolutely loved the place, made a good friends over at the marina. As I departed from marina, I asked management for a quote for 3 year promotional contract. Everything was looking very good on paper quote, up until the time of the signing the contract, where the price nearly doubled, on top of that, year two and three was marked as price subject to change. Basically an open ended contract in a favor of the marina (is it even legal?). How can you sign a legal contract for 3 year period only know the conditions and price for the first year only. Very very sad, left the club with very strange and depressing feeling.

It appears they don't want transient boaters. Why not just take the guesswork and pain out of it and join the club?

I think that is really a 1 year contract with an option. If he can change terms after a year, you should be able to opt out.

Good suggestions for dealing with years 2 and 3, but what about the inflated price for year 1? In situations like this, after I have cooled down, I calmly ask the other party to explain themselves. That gives both parties the opportunity to address any potential misunderstanding if any, and to decide whether to proceed as originally planned or to walk away.

Most YCs dont want permanent visitors. transient spaces are just that and they preferer visitors from other YCs. Why not join the club?

We stayed at the MYC (Maryland Yacht club) as transient for 3 month during the summer of 2020 and absolutely loved the place, made a good friends over at the marina. As I departed from marina, I asked management for a quote for 3 year promotional contract. Everything was looking very good on paper quote, up until the time of the signing the contract, where the price nearly doubled, on top of that, year two and three was marked as price subject to change. Basically an open ended contract in a favor of the marina (is it even legal?). How can you sign a legal contract for 3 year period only know the conditions and price for the first year only. Very very sad, left the club with very strange and depressing feeling.

I'd forget the 3 years. Not surprised they won't agree to three year terms. Then I'd address the one year again and see if there was room for agreement.

I was trying to become a member of the club and was ready to sign the 3 year contract with the prices and conditions that was quoted to me back in September of 2020. That quote and promotions was good when I pay application fee and got approved as member and presented the invoice which was nearly double the prices of the quote that was given to me 4 month ago. And the terms was very strange. Where the first year price is confirmed and written down and year 2 and 3 has approximate figure with comment subject to change. Which translates to me that club can write whatever number they would want and I would be liable. The opt out was there too, if I choose opt out, I would have to pay the difference between the going rate and "50% promo" rate that was offered to me at the time of signing for the first year and remaining years of contract at 50% (which is not firmly priced in the contract when it was presented). Management of the Club changed 2 weeks ago and the new manager stated by looking at the written quote: It was a human error. I am not advertising this club at all. I am very sad that the quote provided to me by previous management means absolutely nothing to the current people. I did not miss any dates and I did not upgrade to a better slip. Everything that was in the quote was in the contract with, nearly double price. True story that happened to me last week. 100% correct and have all documents on hand to prove it. In my nearly 30 years of boating this is the first time I being misled, underserved and cheated and I hope it is the last time. Just sharing my bitter experience, nothing more.

If you’re not satisfied with the conversation with the manager I’d talk to an officer of the club.

For the last few years I’ve only heard good things about the club. Strange.

John

I'd forget the 3 years. Not surprised they won't agree to three year terms. Then I'd address the one year again and see if there was room for agreement.
One year contract is full price.

If you’re not satisfied with the conversation with the manager I’d talk to an officer of the club.

For the last few years I’ve only heard good things about the club. Strange.

John
So did I, not only heard but enjoyed my transient stay during the summer of 2020. Everything vent down south because I was quoted one price and invoiced by Vice Commodore nearly double. On top of that the use of property and cost was very different. Give you as an example to have a party for my kids birthday as a member of the club I would have to pay a fee $4000.00 per day to use club house. Any other events outside using club picnic area and if I have 10 guests or more $250.00 charge. That is on top of annual membership fee of $ 900.00 and Entertainment fee of $ 75.00 (which management struggled to explain to me the value of this two items other than use of swimming pool and gated area.) Than it was an one time application fee of $1000.00 which was suppose to be the part of first year promo payment. And of course the slip fee ..... And the most important thing is year 2 and 3 of contract. I ask to put that number in ink and be locked for year 2 and 3 and the New manager would not do it, but he wanted me to sign open ended contract for 3 years. New manager explained to me that it was a human error and I was quoted wrong. Previous manager spend near an hour quoting to me and explained to me the benefits of being a member this and that and even told me that he will present me a burgee so I can proudly fly it on my boat. Everything was a human mistake according to the new manager. Sad very very sad.

I do not believe that you will find a desirable marina with a good yacht club such as MYC that will give you a fixed fee 3 years contract. I think that, the new management team is just smarter than the old one.
sorry that you had to leave a great marina!

Something tells me the new manager took over with orders to increase the rates, but I sure would talk to a club officer to find out what is going on. The other option is new manager just trying to show off. Perhaps promotions that the ended involved but right now is a lousy time to not live up to any promotion. In fact, most deals that had time frames involved, those time frames can't be enforced. If the original promotion didn't have a time set for execution or expiration, then I'd try to get them to honor it, but not through the manager. Now as to subsequent years, they're always subject to change in YC's.

I do not believe that you will find a desirable marina with a good yacht club such as MYC that will give you a fixed fee 3 years contract. I think that, the new management team is just smarter than the old one.
It was a good combination, as it was quoted, but I guess it was not meant to be. The correct way to say it, not had to leave, but did not have a chance to join. :)

I do not know.. But I did not ask for 3 years, they offered me as promo and did not honored there own written quote.

The whole point of this post is that, when I came in as transient they give me the cost of stay. I agreed money exchange hands everybody was happy. Than I was given a quote to which I agreed as well, came with the money and the club management backed out. Nobody twist anybody's arms, I did not ask for special discounts. My boat name, size is on the quote, slip # and price broken down, everything is written down. I always want to start any relationship with the right foot, but why this time it is only at my expense. I never nickel and dime anybody, I know what I can and can not afford. If it is too much, or it is not worth it for me, I apologize and start looking for alternatives. This is different. This is low blow.

I have an offer written down presented to me with club brochures in a club folder, everything is real as 1 dollar bill. I came in not late, offer was not expired payed application fee, got accepted as member and then and only then was billed way more, double of what the official offer was for and with very strange terms. Open ended 3 year contract. Or 100% full price for one year. No other options was given they did not offer half way, quarter way, it was there way or the highway. And if anybody thinks that this is the way to do business, I am sorry.

It reads like they got you to join the Club, at considerable expense, in order to take up an attractive moorage offer, which they then withdrew after you took the required step of joining the Club. If that is right, things like estoppel by representation and, part performance, come to mind. However, it`s USA, not Australia,and legal redress is always uncertain, but based on those facts, it sounds like you had the rug pulled out from under you on an agreed deal. Deals can`t just evaporate if the Manager changes,any deal is with the Club.
At the very least, a letter to the Club`s Board of Directors might be worthwhile. Just don`t defame anyone in the process.

I have an offer written down presented to me with club brochures in a club folder, everything is real as 1 dollar bill. I came in not late, offer was not expired payed application fee, got accepted as member and then and only then was billed way more, double of what the official offer was for and with very strange terms. Open ended 3 year contract. Or 100% full price for one year. No other options was given they did not offer half way, quarter way, it was there way or the highway. And if anybody thinks that this is the way to do business, I am sorry.

I hate to get involved in these things, because I am certainly no lawyer. But, I am concerned that you may possibly be reading one or more duties for yourself into the paperwork that aren't there.

Just to avoid a misunderstanding, you may want to ask the club what happens if, for example, something changes in your world and you need to leave after one year. They may tell you that there is no penalty and that you are free to leave. If you aren't comfortable with their word -- you may choose to ask a NY licensed lawyer.

My non-lawyer, not authorized to give legal advice in any state, haven't even read the paperwork involved, and am certainly not giving legal advice here impression is that the written instrument being discussed imposes no legal obligations upon you in so far as the consideration is open-ended, so, at worst, my impression is that it imposes obligations upon you for the first year. (And, it may, possibly, turn out, at least insofar as it is enforceable against you, to be month-to-month).

My non-professional understanding is that, in most cases, a contract requires /specific/, i.e. not open ended, consideration.

Beyond that, if there is a claim to be made under the promissory estoppel doctrine, in other words that a promise was made, reasonably relied upon, not upheld, and damages resulted, the claim would seem to be yours to make.

In other words, you don't seem to have any obligation to continue into years two and three, as you were given no (specific) consideration. Yet, if the club, without cause, kicked you out after the 1st year and rented the space to someone else at a rate you were be willing to pay, and you couldn't get another slip nearby or had to, for a time, pay dramatically higher transient rates while waiting for a long-term slip, it would seem you might possibly have a cause of action for the damages resulting from your reliance upon their broken promise to let you stay. Of course, to enforce that claim would take pretty favorable construction on the part of the judge, I'd guess.

Again, I am not giving you any legal advice here. My only thought is that, at least insofar as the years 2 and 3 thing go, there is perhaps some chance the paperwork may not be as painful as it might initially seem.

Last edited:
If that's as bad as your "very sad experience" is then you have not much to complain about in life.
No one died, you have a boat, life is good.

As I see it, you either talk to the board, or move on. I don't know how the law works, but I'm assuming an offer of services has a time limit just like buying an airline ticket. I guess one could argue that was last year's price. Prices and policies have changed. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be there if I had to create an adversarial relationship to begin with. It does seem odd though that a yacht club would offer any kind of deal for services that they didn't offer to their members. It would seem more likely for them to reduce initiation fees.

Ted

Sounds really frustrating. That said, my Dad had a saying "Time kills all deals." Too bad your deal didn't get finalized sooner before memories fade.

I am not gonna get lawyers involve in this, because the only person that will win is the lawyer. As far as time kills all deals, I was told to do this and that on certain day and I did it. I was not late. I am regretting that this happens and I did not get the deal as I was promised, but like some one wrote, nobody died. I did not lost a dime. So no financial harm to me, they refund everything that I pay so far. It is just sad I would of love to stay there. People at this marina was very nice to me and my family. I met pretty much every one on the peer. Sad that is all.

I am not gonna get lawyers involve in this, because the only person that will win is the lawyer. As far as time kills all deals, I was told to do this and that on certain day and I did it. I was not late. I am regretting that this happens and I did not get the deal as I was promised, but like some one wrote, nobody died. I did not lost a dime. So no financial harm to me, they refund everything that I pay so far. It is just sad I would of love to stay there. People at this marina was very nice to me and my family. I met pretty much every one on the peer. Sad that is all.
I didn't mean to imply you dragged your feet. Sounds like OP was motivated and conscientious. Sometimes that's not enough when faces on the other side change.

Too bad a better resolution could not be salvaged. But also sounds like you have a decent attitude towards it and can separate the good from the bad . Lick your wounds and move on.

I seem to see both sides of this and wonder if there isnt a simpler middle ground.
I get the impression clyb is trying to fill vacancies and offering a discount. (May be wrong on this??)
They are looking for a longer term commitment vs just filling a slip for a year... want 3 yr commit to offer the discount
They are unable / unwilling to fix future year $ (undrstandable... may go against members rate being raised and not a new comer)
Is there room for a 3 yr agreement with a stated % discount for future years? (Could be same % or different for yrs 2 & 3 than 1st?) That way you would be assured price increase would be same as balance of members except you and the club agreed to a fixed discount % ???

Offer to pay three years up front and they might change their mind.

I expect that the club is increasing dues and fees as necessary in these troubling times. YCs are no different than other business that are dealing with changing conditions.

The more you push this the less welcome you will be.

I seem to see both sides of this and wonder if there isnt a simpler middle ground.
I get the impression clyb is trying to fill vacancies and offering a discount. (May be wrong on this??)
They are looking for a longer term commitment vs just filling a slip for a year... want 3 yr commit to offer the discount
They are unable / unwilling to fix future year $ (undrstandable... may go against members rate being raised and not a new comer)
Is there room for a 3 yr agreement with a stated % discount for future years? (Could be same % or different for yrs 2 & 3 than 1st?) That way you would be assured price increase would be same as balance of members except you and the club agreed to a fixed discount % ???
Initial written offer that I received was:
Application Fee $1000.00 which will go towards first year payment discount
Boat LOA (36 ft) X $ 96.00 Regular price in a determined numbered 50 ft slip. smaller slips not available and or not accessible inner corner slips.
1st year 50% off
2nd and 3rd year 25% off
Membership fee $ 900.00 per year
Entertainment fee $ 75.00 per year
use of club house and outdoor facilities was described verbally.
Contract numbers:
Application Fee $1000.00 No longer included in the discount
Slip size (50 ft.) X $ 96.00 Regular price (subject to change for year 2 and 3) smaller slips not available and or not accessible.
1st year 50% off
2nd and 3rd year 25% off
use of club house and outdoor facilities cost astronomical at $ 4000.00 a day for member. outdoor picnic area at $ 250.00 if more than 10 people.
And all that if I sign 3 year contract. Otherwise 1 year contract at 100%.
No other deals was offered at the table. The new manager was polite, but did not care.
If you do the math you will get the same reaction as I got or not.
And I can not get hold of anybody from club board to talk this through.

Last edited:
Offer to pay three years up front and they might change their mind.

I expect that the club is increasing dues and fees as necessary in these troubling times. YCs are no different than other business that are dealing with changing conditions.

The more you push this the less welcome you will be.
You are absolutely correct. And I agreed to be charged by the slip size fee and not include app fee towards discount. and sign 3 years contract if year 2 and 3 are determined and fixed. No go from club. How much more I can give up, my life? I am very reasonable. But I am not stupid to sign open ended contract.
Like I described before I was willing to accept their formula, but it was not enough for the club.

Is the club for profit, or not for profit? It would be hard for me to get worked up either way. In my experience, most not for profits will not fix prices more than a year out, since their goal is to set equitable (from the members' perspective) prices that will cover costs, which is hard to do without knowing future costs. If the members don't think the pricing is equitable, they have the power to make changes. On the other hand, if the club is someone's business, if you don't like the terms or pricing, either take your business elsewhere or negotiate something that makes sense.

Initial written offer that I received was:
Application Fee $1000.00 which will go towards first year payment discount
Boat LOA (36 ft) X $ 96.00 Regular price in a determined numbered 50 ft slip. smaller slips not available and or not accessible inner corner slips.
1st year 50% off
2nd and 3rd year 25% off
use of club house and outdoor facilities was described verbally.
Contract numbers:
Application Fee $1000.00 No longer included in the discount
Slip size (50 ft.) X $ 96.00 Regular price (subject to change for year 2 and 3) smaller slips not available and or not accessible.
1st year 50% off
2nd and 3rd year 25% off
use of club house and outdoor facilities cost astronomical at $ 4000.00 a day for member. outdoor picnic area at $ 250.00 if more than 10 people.
And all that if I sign 3 year contract. Otherwise 1 year contract at 100%.
No other deals was offered at the table. The new manager was polite, but did not care.
If you do the math you will get the same reaction as I got or not.
And I can not get hold of anybody from club board to talk this through.
If those prices are what balance of members are paying and you can simply specify yr 2 & 3 are same as other members are paying you are getting a deal / discount. If different for others then that's another story.
I can't comment on what a reasonable cost would be in your area only you can compare with your other choices to be.
I can say our marina switched from $/ft boat length to $/ ft slip capable of holding. I have a 34 and pay for 50ft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom