New interior lights purchase and install.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
When I was looking for newer LED lights to replace my 35 year old interior lights i did not see much detail on the many selections. So I took a chance on several models after research and purchased several hundred dollars worth for the old trawler. The previous lighting was dismal. Anyways I took some time to video some details on several of them. Hope its useful. https://youtu.be/9l7yS7jQmlQ

I replaced all my interior and exterior lights with LED's. I have those rectangular jobbies and I must say I really like them. I like having various power levels and blue lights in my case for night vision. For my Nav lights I didn't replace the fixtures but instead just added LED bulbs, they are definitely brighter.

My anchor light is also LED going on and off automatically at sunset and sunrise as many do with incandescent bulbs.

Great information and ideas. As we are in the process of looking for our new to us boat, I'm sure I'll have to do similar. Thanks

Rdn48..I have a set of those rectangular ones too. Everyone sells them and they are cheap. But they do work darn good and are reliable. I put them on my big JD Zero turn and my diesel pressure washer..?. Love those things. I have to repair a few things on exterior and then paint. Then I can fo my exterior lights. Hoping the cost of the underwater lights comes down by then.

Great information and ideas. As we are in the process of looking for our new to us boat, I'm sure I'll have to do similar. Thanks

New lights make it feel much more modern. And leds reduce the amp load. Its a smart and easy upgrade:socool:

I bought 10 of these red LED lights to replace all the incandescent bulbs in my upper and lower gauges. Perfect for night vision.

I have a sister ship to Barking Sands and went cheap on the LED conversion for the cabin lights. I replaced the original switches with a 3 way switch so that I could add a red LED strip in each. I also replaced the original white incandescent bulb with LED. Kind of a tedious project, but the prior owner had already bought the LED bulbs.

I was just looking for how to upgrade my V berths lights. Looks like Barking Sands has done the research for me. Thanks.

Depending on the build quality some LED lights will buzz like crazy ob different radios.

If you are an AM radio fan buy one light before a dozen.

Depending on the build quality some LED lights will buzz like crazy ob different radios.

If you are an AM radio fan buy one light before a dozen.

I have an LED that is installed near my garage door opener. Its one of the ones that screws in a regular socket but has three "wings" of LEDs. The RF interference is so bad out of that thing I have to be within feet of my GDO to use the remote.

I suspect most of the RF output is in the poor converters when using AC powered LEDs? Seems a straight 12 volt DC LED set ups should be RF free but I have not confirmed that.

Just as a note- I just received the last two saloon dome lights and they are here in front of me. They actually do have a tag on them that claims no RF interference.

The under cabinet lights I installed in the boat are AC converted to DC so I wonder how much RF they put out. However they were replacing very old flourescent/ballasted fixtures. Those aren't great either.

Whatever you do when buying leds, make sure they are not rated 12v. You need 8-30 volts rating or similar because you don't have a 12 v system, you have a 10 to 15 volt system and your bulbs will bake far too soon from being run out of their rating.

Watch your voltmeter when you toggle your windlass or are charging the batteries.

Good point XSbank. Some LEDs are very very poor. These all had a decent range rating. The Sconce lights are actually 10-28 which is impressive. The Overhead salon was 10-15 but I tested them in the video down to like 8. The Sconce is actually 10-30 volts. Pretty impressive. And both the Sconce and gooseneck have built in USB plugs. I am pretty happy with them so far. I will report if there are any premature failures.

Back
Top Bottom