Vented loop on Genset Intake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffg

Vessel Name
Second Act
Vessel Make
Senator 35
Hi all,

I have a question about my Northern Lights Gen Set. Does anyone have an idea why a vented loop would be placed between the raw water pump and the engine?

The PO (or perhaps before him) installed a vented loop between the raw water pump and the engine. I have not seen this application of a vented loop before. Usually they are between the raw water outlet and the exhaust riser to prevent back siphoning from the muffler.

The raw water pump goes through impellers like crazy. I sometimes replace 2 impellers per season. I think the vented loop may be allowing the raw water pump to drain down so it runs dry on start up causing the impellers to burn out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

According to the Northern Lights IM1000 installation manual a vented loop is required between the pump and the engine if the exhaust mixer is less than 12” above the loaded water line. I have one there myself and have no problem going 2 seasons on one impeller. Having a vented loop should not affect your impeller longevity at all.

Ken

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
This is a great diagram and shows exactly what I have. I guess I need to replace the pump. It is expensive, but worth it.
Thank you.

It is a better way of installation. The pump has a clear suction path from intake to pump . Therefore never a run dry issue. When a break is before the pump , it is possible for the pump to suck air if the vent fails.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom