One more New Member from Long Island!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB32Patience

Vessel Name
Patience
Vessel Make
1978 GB 32 Sedan
Hello all,
My wife and I are entering our 3rd season with our 1978 GB32 "Patience". As sailboaters most of our lives, we have made the change that seems to be fairly common... going for the Trawler design. As with most of our boats, we find the ones with "good bones" but need a bit of TLC. Our "Patience" is no exception and aptly named by the prior owner. Pretty much touching every element of her and hope to both inquire as well as contribute to this Forum (I have a great smelly boat thread to follow). We have cruised the northeast all of our lives but may start to venture south in increments with a visit to our daughter in DC this summer. Currently approaching some deckhouse/flybridge refurb and although first choice is keeping the original gelcoat, we may need to move to a two part paint approach with Alexseal the current technology choice. We are having a hard time understanding what the "official" color is of the GB as all we see is "Grand Banks Beige.... ours looks more white... but... will post on a new thread dedicated to that question! Thanks all for being what looks like an active, friendly forum

Welcome from Narragansett bay. We love our 36. The 32 was the prettiest of all of the vintage Grand Banks in my opinion. My take on the Grand Banks beige is that was the color the interior bulkheads were painted. It’s more like a very light olive green. If you poke around under bunks and the like you will find the Grand Banks beige.

Welcome!
I was surprised to read your intro. My wife and I are the proud owners of ‘Giddy’ a ‘74 GB 32. Our slip is on the East Islip side of the Connetquot river, across from the Snapper Inn. I’m surprised we haven’t bumped into you yet.
I wish I could help with your question about gelcoat color. Painting the house exterior is a project on my list also. Grand Banks is a great boat but the gelcoat they used was definitely not the best.

Thanks Mike! We know of your beautiful vessel as we typically night over on the river a handfull of times in the summer. We will definitely have to catch up this season! Had the pleasure of meeting Jerry and Jean on Galatea, while researching aft hardtops, great folks and impressive boat. Will keep you posted on color selection, and no doubt other projects as well. Bruce

Thanks Charlie, Ah ha!, now I know that color. Odd that I didn't connect the dots there as we do have it internally as you say. Will be further researching the exterior color. Thanks for the welcome and hope to see you in your neck of the woods soon. Bruce

Thanks!
This was the single reference that I had found that noted "Grand Banks White".... I was hoping not to deal with gelcoat as I have no experience there... but, that being said, it would be nice to restore to original... have you had experience with this? Bruce

I have done small repairs you can roll and tip it then sand between coats three or four coats should last you twenty years in my opinion but I’m not an expert just make sure you prep the surface according to the instructions and be prepared for wet sanding and polishing Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in I would personally go with gel vs paint when the paint fails I think it’s a lot more work

Thank you. I appreciate the input here. Honestly I have experience with structural epoxy repairs, modifications, etc. (installed bow thruster tube) but the finished product, gel coat or roll/tip of 2 part paint, not so much..... will report on direction Bruce

We also spend a lot of time on the River. Maybe see you there this season.
Riverwind.

Arc-
My wife and I have seen your beautiful boat anchored out.
Summer is coming!

I painted our flybridge last winter / spring. Rolled and tipped EZPoxy Mediterranean white. Pretty darn close match to the rest of the boats gelcoat. I can tell the difference but nobody else can. You could tint just a little and it would be spot on.

Welcome! Gotta luv LI south shore! First Freeport then N. Merrick. Born n' bred. Not sure that's in my favor - LOL!

Split late 60's. Hit Maine till mid 70's. Several U.S. areas thereafter. Finally settled down in SF 8/18/84.

You have nice boat. Enjoy!

Sounds like we have a quorum! Summer is coming and much needed... just a few projects to complete prior.....

Thanks Charlie. I will look into that color for a match. We are having an aft hardtop made up by Atlantic Towers in NJ and they only offer "Matterhorn" of "Oyster" color wise..... going for the Matterhorn as the Oyster is more towards that GB Beige. Possibly the Med White comes close.

I have just completed a US$25,000 total refit of my 1974 fibreglass GB32 hull # 530, including having the entire superstructure repainted. We used 1 coat International Prekote primer, then 3 coats International Toplac "Snow White", single pack. The guys rolled and brushed it. Fantastic result.

Attachments

• GB32 ELSKAN.jpg
    GB32 ELSKAN.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have just completed a US$25,000 total refit of my 1974 fibreglass GB32 hull # 530, including having the entire superstructure repainted. We used 1 coat International Prekote primer, then 3 coats International Toplac "Snow White", single pack. The guys rolled and brushed it. Fantastic result.

Looks great! I've seen some white paint roll and brush completions where the surface resembles the sheen of a glass mirror... in the sun!

Agreed, beautiful results on that refit! I'll look for that color as well.

TOPLAC is specifically formulated for amateur application so is very forgiving.

Thanks! Have been looking into Alexseal as am an aficionado of "Boatworks" where they have demo'd a bit but will dig into TOPLAC as well. In your refit, what did you do with the teak decks?

Welcome aboard. My GB32 Ramkay is also a 1978 hull #476. She's in France on the Seine River, Paris area. Great boat and extremely reliable and seaworthy. We take her every summer to Normandie through the river and from there cruise the English Channel to Bretagne. Next year we'll continue the trip south and through Gibraltar to the Mediterranean Sea. The Lehman 120 on it is unbreakable and totally reliable. Check the fuel tanks though. Best of luck wit it.

Hello all,
My wife and I are entering our 3rd season with our 1978 GB32 "Patience". As sailboaters most of our lives, we have made the change that seems to be fairly common... going for the Trawler design. As with most of our boats, we find the ones with "good bones" but need a bit of TLC. Our "Patience" is no exception and aptly named by the prior owner. Pretty much touching every element of her and hope to both inquire as well as contribute to this Forum (I have a great smelly boat thread to follow). We have cruised the northeast all of our lives but may start to venture south in increments with a visit to our daughter in DC this summer. Currently approaching some deckhouse/flybridge refurb and although first choice is keeping the original gelcoat, we may need to move to a two part paint approach with Alexseal the current technology choice. We are having a hard time understanding what the "official" color is of the GB as all we see is "Grand Banks Beige.... ours looks more white... but... will post on a new thread dedicated to that question! Thanks all for being what looks like an active, friendly forum

Welcome. We are from CT, also former sailors, and live most of the summer in and around the sound.

Welcome aboard TF. You'll fit right in!

Welcome to the forum.
We are also fairly new Long Island members of the forum, having picked up our 2000 Mainship 390 last July. Brough it from E. Greenwich RI to Lindenhurst via Greenport. In past seasons we made at least 1 long weekend to Oakdale Yacht every season before Covid hit, in our Chaparral express cruiser. Moved to the trawler in hopes of pushing off on The Great Loop this May, if it can be done healthily! Home port is Lindenhurst.
Ray & Shelly
www.shellerina.com

Welcome aboard! We also are former sailors for 40 + years! We will be starting our second summer with our 1976 32 ft. Grand Banks - HiHo. By spring we will have completed a major refit after two long winters. We love the boat and looking forward to distant travels!

JoAnne & Steve

Welcome, Patience! I too am new to a GB 32, this one a 1973. I have however known this vessel a long time as I had worked on it when it was in the charter fleet in the North Channel. I usually match gelcoats myself when doing repairs and usually am able to make the repair invisible. The matched gelcoat in a previous post is incredibly expensive and may indeed be original in colour but likely won't match any particular boat as the UV and oxidation usually damage original pigments over time. Gelcoat for small repairs, paint for large ones is the general refurbishing rule.

Buffing and waxing will bring back my hull finish. However, the coachroof etc. will be getting a paint job, mainly because various parts have previously been painted and since faded (likely one part paints).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom