Slip in Stuart Fl, for Oct-Nov 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STroutman

Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander Classico Pilothouse
I am in New Bern, NC. I am going to Chapman’s Trawler school Oct through Nov. I am trying to figure out if I should bring my boat 50’ or go in the dorms. I would need a “named storm” haul out place as well. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

My experience with the dorms at Chapmans are based upon my stay there in 2010 for 7 weeks of Surveyor training. I would avoid staying in the dorms. If I had the money at the time I would have stayed in a hotel to avoid the stained, dirty, run down accommodations that were provide by the school. I had to threaten to leave before getting a mattress that didn’t have springs poking out of it. :trash::trash::trash:

Todd

That's the very end of the boating slow season in Stuart, so slips should be pretty easy to find and relatively affordable. Or maybe consider picking up a mooring at the Sunset Bay mooring field?

If you come down by boat will you have car access while in Stuart? It's a nice place but I think you would probably need a vehicle if you are staying for two months.

The haul out place is much more problematic and would be a considerable cost. Most of the yards in the area are doing "hurricane clubs" now. It's about $2K just for the cost of entry and haul out costs, if needed, are on top of that.

Last edited:
I would have a car. And mooring field and dingy to school or car could work. My insurance requires the haul out. I guess hurricane clubs are, in part, are response to insurance companies.

There is some parking at Sunset Bay, not a lot, but some. There is a very nice, free dinghy dock there and weekly free pump outs. It's a nice mooring field, but would not be a good place in a named storm, even if they (or your insurance company) let you stay there during a tropical storm.

Sunset Bay is right next to downtown, so access to places to eat, groceries etc. is good.

I looked at the map, it looks a bit exposed for a Storm but it might be a solution to part of the problem. Thanks

I would have a car. And mooring field and dingy to school or car could work. My insurance requires the haul out. I guess hurricane clubs are, in part, are response to insurance companies.

I would call River Forest before making any assumptions on cost. As you are a short term transient, they may see it as a near zero possibility to have to haul you and be able to offer a better price.

Ted

I would call River Forest before making any assumptions on cost. As you are a short term transient, they may see it as a near zero possibility to have to haul you and be able to offer a better price.

Ted

Good point and it's worth a try. The later he comes down the less likely he will face a named storm. Even mid October is a little better than early October, though still not out of the woods.

The yards in the Stuart area run out of space pretty quickly for storm haul outs, that's why they sell the "clubs," it guarantees you a spot. But they may sell all of their club memberships, hence all of their open spots, before the hurricane season even starts.

Would be good to call them early. Indiantown does something similar.

I haul out August to November at River Forest for the storm season with a whole bunch of other boats, meaning we arrive at the end of July and don’t get the boat back until November. When there is a storm, those on their “hurricane club” plan get hauled and the yard has boats tied down right out almost to the street where their property ends! I can tell you that during October, the place is packed to the gills. In fact, I was told that they could not even launch my boat on time in November because of the the boats they did launch first, the owners would not come get them due to storms still rolling through, so even the basin was stuffed. That doesn’t usually happen, but it was that kind of a storm season last year.

That said, if you don’t ask, the answer is “no” for sure, so give them a call, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on getting them to agree to haul you if a storm comes through if you’re just a transient and not part of a storm contract.

But they may sell all of their club memberships, hence all of their open spots, before the hurricane season even starts.

That is true. I buy my storm spot at River Forest in January/February. They are full by the end of February.

Have fun at the school. SMILE
Been there 'done' the professional school, passed the test.
Check with the school for spaces.

The school may also have a list of hotels that give discounts to its students. There are some inexpensive extended stay hotels in stuart which would probably be better than the dorm. Ext Stay hotels have decent kitchens and full size fridges with reduced services for long term guests. Sometimes the front desk closes at night and you only get housekeeping once/week, etc. But that would eliminate the complication of dealing with your boat if a storm comes. Relocating, hauling and hunkering is going to make it hard to concentrate on the academics.

We have decided to not bring our boat down to Stuart. Thanks for all the information. I got quite a lot of polite no’s from the dock masters. Also the complications of pulling the boat for a storm and going to school is a bit much. I knew when I asked I would get local information and you all did not disappoint. Thanks again.

We have decided to not bring our boat down to Stuart. Thanks for all the information. I got quite a lot of polite no’s from the dock masters. Also the complications of pulling the boat for a storm and going to school is a bit much. I knew when I asked I would get local information and you all did not disappoint. Thanks again.

Check with Chapman. They may know of "opportunities".

Update on the apartments at Chapman’s school in Stuart Florida. We moved in two days ago. In the last several years they have been working on remodeling the apartments. The one I am in has basically looks totally redone: carpet, cabinets, refrigerator, stove top, all in new or very good condition, mattresses look new, bathroom with clean white grout and all tiles intact. Furniture all in very good condition. Much bigger than I expected, With appropriate pots pans, gadgets and utensils. Other students report no bugs in the in the last 2 months which being on the water is surprising to be but I am happy to be critter free…

Chapman's is an on going project.
When I was there, the apartment was clean when I moved in.... I kept it clean and employed a local lady to give it a good cleaning for the check out inspection.
The bathroom and grout was clean too.
I thought the mattress could have been changed but, I was not moving in forever.
They were a firm believer in Lysol.
I was more than happy with the facilities.
The teaching staff was very knowledgeable and able to relate to the students.
My overall experience was an A.
I have recommended the school repeatedly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom